Rugby 7s

Old Nov 30th 2008, 12:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rugby 7s

The best Sevens ever - mostly.......

The main stadium is out of this world - considering 3 sides out of 4 are 'temporary', it puts many other major stadiums to shame. Pitch in superb condition (and it held up well for the whole tournament, which was one of the things they were worried about).

The main changing rooms and other facilities under the main stand are amazingly spacious, which made the experience good for players and officials alike.

And the response of the players who had always said Dubai was their favourite tournament on the Sevens circuit anyway, was that it's even better now.

There are still some unfinished bits - like the whole of the area surrounding the main stadium which will be resurfaced by the time the World Cup is held there in March - by which time it will be a very good venue indeed.

I met a number of people who had come because they had 'heard it was good fun, great party atmosphere, etc' (which it was once again, as good as ever, despite less 'singalong stuff' than before) and who ended up being enthralled by the rugby (including one Kevball fan who was amazed that people in South Africa, England, NZ, Wales, etc shirts could all be having a good time together without violence breaking out).

And the quality of Sevens rugby generally is higher than ever - and a pleasant change to watch a sport England are actually quite good at.........

The traffic flow out - despite being busy from stadium to main road - moves comfortably enough, especially compared to the Exiles.

BC, not sure what you mean by 'security concerns' - but I can't think of any that are a problem at the new place anyway.

And finally - considering it was a first event at such a major new venue - brilliantly organised.

Well done everyone...........

Last edited by The Dean; Nov 30th 2008 at 12:36 am. Reason: t
Old Nov 30th 2008, 4:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

am i sad then, i dont drink, and did actually enjoy watching the rugby, although interspaced with kiddie stuff as well and watching the security trying to tell the stupid people that they couldnt take their 'green cans' into the family section which clearly says 'they couldnt' but of course some people cant read, so they even had pretty piccies to look at too! and listening to the french band up on top. my boys actually play mini's so it was good for them to actually watch big people playing it. and they cheated with the 'big ball' up at the other end because they ran with it IMO or should it be d and g!
Old Nov 30th 2008, 5:28 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

The bathrooms were the cleanest I have ever seen for a stadium facility. Impressive.

A few beer cans tossed about, a bit annoying, but could have been worse. It was clear everyone was having a good time.

I'm looking forward to that world cup you mentioned!

Originally Posted by The Dean
The best Sevens ever - mostly.......

The main stadium is out of this world - considering 3 sides out of 4 are 'temporary', it puts many other major stadiums to shame. Pitch in superb condition (and it held up well for the whole tournament, which was one of the things they were worried about).

The main changing rooms and other facilities under the main stand are amazingly spacious, which made the experience good for players and officials alike.

And the response of the players who had always said Dubai was their favourite tournament on the Sevens circuit anyway, was that it's even better now.

There are still some unfinished bits - like the whole of the area surrounding the main stadium which will be resurfaced by the time the World Cup is held there in March - by which time it will be a very good venue indeed.

I met a number of people who had come because they had 'heard it was good fun, great party atmosphere, etc' (which it was once again, as good as ever, despite less 'singalong stuff' than before) and who ended up being enthralled by the rugby (including one Kevball fan who was amazed that people in South Africa, England, NZ, Wales, etc shirts could all be having a good time together without violence breaking out).

And the quality of Sevens rugby generally is higher than ever - and a pleasant change to watch a sport England are actually quite good at.........

The traffic flow out - despite being busy from stadium to main road - moves comfortably enough, especially compared to the Exiles.

BC, not sure what you mean by 'security concerns' - but I can't think of any that are a problem at the new place anyway.

And finally - considering it was a first event at such a major new venue - brilliantly organised.

Well done everyone...........

Old Nov 30th 2008, 6:48 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

I have 2 season tickets for sale going for ticket price + 50%. make good souvenirs, honest!
Old Nov 30th 2008, 6:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Word on the street is that the Lebanese will also participate in next years Rugby 7s...
Old Nov 30th 2008, 9:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Confucius
Word on the street is that the Lebanese will also participate in next years Rugby 7s...
So you must have your ear to the ground then........
Old Nov 30th 2008, 2:41 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

surely 'out of this world' is a bit of an over-reaction for the stadium??
Old Nov 30th 2008, 6:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commander
surely 'out of this world' is a bit of an over-reaction for the stadium??
In the context of what the tournament is, and its relative importance, I think it's a fair comment............ next week, the South African leg of the series will take place, at George, where a maximum of 13,000 can be accommodated.

The decision was taken to retain the temporary stands element from the Exiles, but it was recognised as a major step towards being awarded the World Cup later.

I think it's a superb achievement to create such a good venue while retaining the intimacy of the Exiles stadium.

And don't forget I also saw the players and officials facilities which were of a very high standard.

Wait till all of it's finished.................
Old Nov 30th 2008, 6:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond repute

I had a totally crackin weekend! And yes i did go for the rugby however, Friday i didnt make it until 3pm due to far too much alcohol the night before in the Irish Village!

I did think Friday was a bit of a kids play ground, the meeting area seemed to be right in front of us so spent alot of the day screaming 'sit dooooooon' that seemed to go down well and hearing auzzies and south africians saying the same thing was rather amusing!

A bus ride back to Irish village on teh friday night - excellent band, excellent atmosphere!

Back again on Saturday - there seemed to be more adults but everyone is excellent spirits! Rugby was really good however, i am england through and through but i really think New Zealand played very well all weekend!

I didnt see any bother however there was a drunk lad pissing down the steps on everyone that was walking up - hubby did get a slight shower on his top... blew his top with the lad as well as a queue of other people just waiting to get a hold of him, when he stubbled and proceeded down the stairs, helped by a few pushes from a very unhappy bunch of people!

Saturday night i was bloody knackered and im still recovering from it now!

Family loved it, great atmosphere - cant wait for the world cup!

Oh yeah i was bright orange coporate both days but loved being outside with the friends and family so got a free tshirt yey
Old Nov 30th 2008, 6:56 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

In the context of what the tournament is, and its relative importance, I think it's a fair comment............ next week, the South African leg of the series will take place, at George, where a maximum of 13,000 can be accommodated.

The decision was taken to retain the temporary stands element from the Exiles, but it was recognised as a major step towards being awarded the World Cup later.

I think it's a superb achievement to create such a good venue while retaining the intimacy of the Exiles stadium.

And don't forget I also saw the players and officials facilities which were of a very high standard.

I saw a bit of it on the TV and thought the stadium looked great.

Just your 'out of this world' bit seemed to me to be a bit OTT;

Anyway, regardless, it was a great sucess by all accounts.

Glad y'all enjoyed it
Old Nov 30th 2008, 7:01 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commander
I saw a bit of it on the TV and thought the stadium looked great.

Just your 'out of this world' bit seemed to me to be a bit OTT;

Anyway, regardless, it was a great sucess by all accounts.

Glad y'all enjoyed it
Speaking of TV, what the fewk happened to the later games. Dubai2 showed the morning and early afternoon games...then aired bloody football, ffs. Was not a happy bunny!
Old Nov 30th 2008, 7:03 pm
banned

Originally Posted by Roadking
Speaking of TV, what the fewk happened to the later games. Dubai2 showed the morning and early afternoon games...then aired bloody football, ffs. Was not a happy bunny!
dunno, i was surfing looking for the UFC
Old Nov 30th 2008, 8:26 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

I was pretty impressed mind you, good organisation - which is something you NEVEr hear in Dubai, lots of people having fun, pretty damn good stadium, I thought it was excellent.
Old Nov 30th 2008, 11:25 pm
Just Joined

miss-minx is just really nicemiss-minx is just really nicemiss-minx is just really nicemiss-minx is just really nicemiss-minx is just really nicemiss-minx is just really nicemiss-minx is just really nicemiss-minx is just really nicemiss-minx is just really nicemiss-minx is just really nice

Originally Posted by DaWarrior
Who's going to this event? It's gonna be held on the 28th and 29th of November...
the australian team were so hot.
number 5, 8 and 9.<-------i wanted to take them home!
Old Nov 30th 2008, 11:44 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by miss-minx
the australian team were so hot.
number 5, 8 and 9.<-------i wanted to take them home!
I went to the toilet and it was closed, so they sent me to the changing rooms at the pitch just up from the big beer tent, as I wandered through (and anyone could have wandered through) all the doors were open and the lads chatting away bollock naked,

not good for me really, but you might have liked it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.