British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Route 66 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/route-66-a-463592/)

Miss Eck Jul 4th 2007 6:07 pm

Route 66

Anybody done it? Or know someone who has?

MataHari Jul 4th 2007 6:36 pm

Re: Route 66

Originally Posted by Miss Eck (Post 5008890)

route 69 you mean....

mythic Jul 4th 2007 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 5009018)
route 69 you mean....

lots of people say they have, its hard driving no i havent done it yet, wanted to when i was younger on a motorbike, lol

Miss Eck Jul 4th 2007 6:42 pm

route 69 you mean....

no, route 66 .. it lasts a bit longer!!!

Ray Jul 4th 2007 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by Miss Eck (Post 5009045)
no, route 66 .. it lasts a bit longer!!!

The old Route 66 is no longer shown on modern maps...

Pony Jul 4th 2007 6:48 pm

Route 66, as in Route 66 in the USA?
Unless you mean the super sized drink carton then I'm sorry to inform you that route 66, as it was, ceased to exist over 20 years ago. Some parts still exist, although usually renamed "historical route 66" and running for short stretches (often resulting in a dead-end). I drove parts of it in New Mexico and Arizona. I managed to find an old diner that had been restored to a 1960's feel on 'Historical' Route 66 and get a peak of what it may have looked like in its former glory - very nostalgic. Sadly many parts of it (at least the parts I saw i AZ and NM) are run down and neglected.

Miss Eck Jul 4th 2007 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by Pony (Post 5009065)
Route 66, as in Route 66 in the USA?
Unless you mean the super sized drink carton then I'm sorry to inform you that route 66, as it was, ceased to exist over 20 years ago. Some parts still exist, although usually renamed "historical route 66" and running for short stretches (often resulting in a dead-end). I drove parts of it in New Mexico and Arizona. I managed to find an old diner that had been restored to a 1960's feel on 'Historical' Route 66 and get a peak of what it may have looked like in its former glory - very nostalgic. Sadly many parts of it (at least the parts I saw i AZ and NM) are run down and neglected.

Yep, same one. So as it stands, then how long would it take to do it? It has been one of hubby's dreams for a long time and he wants to do it next year.

Ray Jul 4th 2007 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by Miss Eck (Post 5009112)
Yep, same one. So as it stands, then how long would it take to do it? It has been one of hubby's dreams for a long time and he wants to do it next year.

12 days by this guy .....
http://blogs.reuters.com/category/fr...-66-revisited/

Miss Eck Jul 4th 2007 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 5009193)

Cheers Ray ... looks interesting

littlejimmy Jul 5th 2007 5:02 am

route 69 you mean....

Go and wash your mouth out.

MataHari Jul 5th 2007 5:26 am

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 5010744)
Go and wash your mouth out.

on the diet Pepsi as we speak...

littlejimmy Jul 5th 2007 5:50 am

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 5010780)
on the diet Pepsi as we speak...

Does it get rid of the taste?

Buzz Lightyear Jul 5th 2007 8:16 am

Hi M E, i have but about 15 years ago, bought a bike in the usa and rode as much of the old route as we could find, sold the bike the other end(it took us nearly 4 weeks to ride, what with all the drinking and shagging in between !!)..should write a book about it one day..

Im Just about to start a dubai bikers web forum for off road and road bikers in Dubai will let you know when its up(the site that is !!)

rode back to the uk through iran etc, much more fun

i;ll keep posted.x:thumbsup:

Miss Eck Jul 5th 2007 10:27 am

Originally Posted by Buzz Lightyear (Post 5011201)
Hi M E, i have but about 15 years ago, bought a bike in the usa and rode as much of the old route as we could find, sold the bike the other end(it took us nearly 4 weeks to ride, what with all the drinking and shagging in between !!)..should write a book about it one day..

Im Just about to start a dubai bikers web forum for off road and road bikers in Dubai will let you know when its up(the site that is !!)

rode back to the uk through iran etc, much more fun

i;ll keep posted.x:thumbsup:

Sounds interesting! Please do keep me posted on the forum. Hubby would love it.

Watched a program on it last nite and I foolishly agreed to doing it on the back of a Harley :blink: It has been one of his dreams for a long time. I guess if we discount the drinking and sh*gging you did, we'd do it in 2 weeks or less!! I did notice that there are lot of burger joints along the way and just worried I'd come back 2 stone heavier!

mythic Jul 5th 2007 10:30 am

Originally Posted by Miss Eck (Post 5011615)
Sounds interesting! Please do keep me posted on the forum. Hubby would love it.

Watched a program on it last nite and I foolishly agreed to doing it on the back of a Harley :blink: It has been one of his dreams for a long time. I guess if we discount the drinking and sh*gging you did, we'd do it in 2 weeks or less!! I did notice that there are lot of burger joints along the way and just worried I'd come back 2 stone heavier!

thats prob why buzz done the horizontal excercises, :o