Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Room 101 - words & expressions

Room 101 - words & expressions

Old Apr 11th 2012, 1:35 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Room 101 - words & expressions

Originally Posted by Meow
I hate it when you get that response from someone when you have offered them a cup of tea. I didn't ask how they were, I asked if they wanted a drink.
I hate it in the other sense too - when you ask someone how they are.

After asking a known bastard one day how he was, he said "I'm good." I was so tempted to reply - well you might be feeling okay but you're still a miserable, tight fisted prick and not a good person at all.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 1:44 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza

After asking a known bastard one day how he was, he said "I'm good." I was so tempted to reply - well you might be feeling okay but you're still a miserable, tight fisted prick and not a good person at all.
A very American response. The correct response is 'I'm fine/well, thank you very much' no matter how you actually are.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 4:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

A very American response. The correct response is 'I'm fine/well, thank you very much' no matter how you actually are.
Yeah - that old adjectives-used-as-adverbs jobby is everywhere these days, even on the Beeb:

'The Prime Minister acted fast to deny Opposition accusations that.....' etc etc.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 8:53 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza

I'm always tempted to say, "Ah, you've been a good little girl/boy, that's nice. Sorry to leave you, but I'll go and talk to the grown-ups now. Will you be alright on your own?".
Old Apr 12th 2012, 8:59 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
Yeah - that old adjectives-used-as-adverbs jobby is everywhere these days, even on the Beeb:

'The Prime Minister acted fast to deny Opposition accusations that.....' etc etc.
Helped my neighbour's high school kid with her English homework.

The teacher had given them all "more slowlier" as a comparitive
Old Apr 12th 2012, 5:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute

Someone who starts a sentence with "At the end of the day"

Of course, they never tell you which f * * * ing day
Old Apr 12th 2012, 7:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute

And....

Inbox Me

more like box you round the head, you twat
Old Apr 13th 2012, 2:12 pm
Just Joined

Holly Wood is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh
Someone who starts a sentence with "At the end of the day"

Of course, they never tell you which f * * * ing day
Agreed - and would it be different at the beginning of the day?I doubt it.

We also loathe " Call me on my iPhone", as if that is somehow different.
Old Apr 13th 2012, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by Holly Wood

We also loathe " Call me on my iPhone", as if that is somehow different.
That must be just to show that they have an i-phone and not just any old mobile.
Twats.
Old Apr 13th 2012, 6:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Was " How do you do" used to greet people in England? If so, I must assume that the phrase at some point in time traveled to the US to be "armericanized" to How are you...could that be?
Old Apr 13th 2012, 9:17 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

I am sure there are masses of words and phrases that annoy my fellow BE posters. Those that irritate me include

Hubby (so twee)
Peeps (Are you six?)
Sleeps, as in 2 sleeps until... FFS it's nights, unless you are 3 years old
Myself - when the person should just say me, but use myself as they imagine it sounds better.
Shouldn't of in place of the correct shouldn't have (see also fed up of instead of fed up with)
Fairly unique - you can't qualify the word unique. Something either is or it isn't

And that's just for starters...
A headspinning moment of rage for me too...tautological discord.
Similar to : dead corpse.
Scream!
Old Apr 14th 2012, 12:28 am
Forum Regular

Robajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud of

The sign outside the Infinity tower in the Marina makes me grind my teeth in rage.

Apparently the building offers the following:-

Unlimited Exclusivity
Old Apr 14th 2012, 5:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Room 101 - words & expressions

Me personally....is redundant.
Old Apr 14th 2012, 5:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Tockalosh- where did i say I dont like f**king- I far prefer f``king to shagging
Old Apr 14th 2012, 6:26 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Can I have your good name, sir?
Bespoke...what does that mean?
A signature villa...yuk.
Afternoon brunch... shouldn't it come between breakfast and lunch?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.