British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Room 101 - Modern Life (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/room-101-modern-life-751447/)

Meow Mar 13th 2012 6:53 am

Room 101 - Modern Life

This is today's category. Something about modern life that really annoys you and you want to get rid of.

And give a reason why!

flares Mar 13th 2012 7:01 am

Re: Room 101 - Modern Life

erm The Kardashians

I'm not really getting this am I

Meow Mar 13th 2012 7:02 am

Originally Posted by saudiflares (Post 9949977)
erm The Kardashians

I'm not really getting this am I

See me after school please

flares Mar 13th 2012 7:14 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 9949978)
See me after school please

No comment

:o

spartans53 Mar 13th 2012 7:28 am

Crackberrys, cant do without it but wish they had never been invented

weasel decentral Mar 13th 2012 7:29 am

facebook and twitter

provides a platform for every idiot in the world to publish their idiotic opinion about some idiotic event or equally idiotic person.

Nobody cares about your boring uneventful life.

lol u ok hun xxxx

kittycat1 Mar 13th 2012 7:29 am

globalisation and capitalism! because I hate going anywhere in the world and finding a starbucks, a gap and a hilton hotel- multibillion dollar businesses putting the small businessman out of business- hate it! power to the people i say- and yes I do work for a bluechip company :confused:

I'm feeling a bit hippish at the mo after my lovely holiday- gonna go and hug a palm tree- might get a job for greenpeace as well :D

Ethos83 Mar 13th 2012 8:35 am

Anti-globalisation is a patronising movement invented by Westerners to justify depriving non-Westerners of good coffee and clean hotels in order to preserve the 'authenticity' of the non-western world for the benefit of liberal progressive western travellers/backpackers seeking the unique.

Bring on the Starbucks, I say! Bring on the soft, clean bedbug free beds!

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 9950017)
globalisation and capitalism! because I hate going anywhere in the world and finding a starbucks, a gap and a hilton hotel- multibillion dollar businesses putting the small businessman out of business- hate it! power to the people i say- and yes I do work for a bluechip company :confused:

I'm feeling a bit hippish at the mo after my lovely holiday- gonna go and hug a palm tree- might get a job for greenpeace as well :D

Ethos83 Mar 13th 2012 8:36 am

Mobile phones.

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 9949964)
This is today's category. Something about modern life that really annoys you and you want to get rid of.

And give a reason why!

Bahtatboy Mar 13th 2012 9:32 am

Originally Posted by Ethos83 (Post 9950118)
Anti-globalisation is a patronising movement invented by Westerners to justify depriving non-Westerners of good coffee and clean hotels in order to preserve the 'authenticity' of the non-western world for the benefit of liberal progressive western travellers/backpackers seeking the unique.

That's like a cross between Marx & Python.

I don't see how you can simultaneously hold the views (on an anti-anti-globalisation platform) that good coffee and clean hotels are ok, but mobile phones aren't. I'd happily ban mobiles, but only those of people I don't know.

The Dean Mar 13th 2012 1:19 pm

People who bought Dubai property when it was cheap, and sold it before the crash........ :frown:

Bastards.

Meow Mar 13th 2012 1:26 pm

I can't decide between

WAGs (Utterly pointless. Who cares about the airhead girlfriend of an overpaid footballer?)
The obsession with appearance (to the detriment of intelligence and personality plus the ghastly mags who critisize everyone mercilessly)
jeggings (the word is as bad as the item)

Lorna at Vicenza Mar 13th 2012 1:39 pm

Text speak.
I don't like it in text messages but I like it even less when it crops up in emails and business communications. It's not professional and if you have time to type "TY 4 MSG" you have time to type "thanks" or "thank you".

Lazy school teachers who tell kids to go off and research something by themselves but never actually teach them anything about that topic.

Food and wine snobs who think they know it all but can be very boring and tedious.

Telephone sales. They always seem to ring at the worst moment and no - I don't want olive oil, solar panels, frozen food deliveries or Vodafone. If you ring my house at 8am on Saturday you will get a very curt and more than not, an impolite response from me. Same goes for Jehovah's Witnessess.

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 14th 2012 4:51 am

People my age in Dubai who are actually thick, useless and complete spastics by nature.

50:50 between men and women. Both are generally so far up their own arses that they don't eat anymore, their digestive system is now a loop from bowel to throat. Twats.

Also, manners, or a lack of manners.

I now shout "you're welcome" at everyone who doesn't say thank you when I hold a door for them, or hold the lift so they don't have to wait. The number of people in my office that will not even notice walking ahead of a woman through the doorway instead of waiting less than a second for them to go first.

Manners are free and it's not difficult to just do the basics properly. I ****ing hate bad manners.

(swearing not included.)

Bahtatboy Mar 14th 2012 5:27 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 9951969)
I now shout "you're welcome" at everyone who doesn't say thank you when I hold a door for them, or hold the lift so they don't have to wait. .)

With you there, buddy. Although sometimes it comes out as "**** you very much".