Room 101 - Books

Old Mar 29th 2012, 11:24 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Room 101 - Books

We've only been together for ten months or so although we've known each other for ages. I was at school with her brother. I won't be proposing for another year.

What really holds me back is how this relationship emerged. It wasn't a question of love at first sight or all that shit but a mutual understanding that we're two people of similar backgrounds and interests and families and we don't find each other repulsive, so why not just get together and get this whole stupid courtship over with and settle down so we can grow old and spare with each other, pop out a couple kids that'll nearly bankrupt us in school fees and spend out our days in a slightly shabby Georgian house in a village somewhere that'll smell of wet wool and aged dogs?

I like her and am quite happy with her but so far I haven't experienced real passion. Though I'm not sure if its fair for someone like me to expect passion in a relationship.
Originally Posted by Scamp
Fair play - a lot of folk complain that this place is not the one to meet your future partner. I brought mine with me, but am too young for the q.

Why not just ask?

Terry P is a good shout, I was thinking more along the lines of folk outside the novel writing world so on reflection, less relevant.
Old Mar 29th 2012, 11:34 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Ethos83
We've only been together for ten months or so although we've known each other for ages. I was at school with her brother. I won't be proposing for another year.

What really holds me back is how this relationship emerged. It wasn't a question of love at first sight or all that shit but a mutual understanding that we're two people of similar backgrounds and interests and families and we don't find each other repulsive, so why not just get together and get this whole stupid courtship over with and settle down so we can grow old and spare with each other, pop out a couple kids that'll nearly bankrupt us in school fees and spend out our days in a slightly shabby Georgian house in a village somewhere that'll smell of wet wool and aged dogs?

I like her and am quite happy with her but so far I haven't experienced real passion. Though I'm not sure if its fair for someone like me to expect passion in a relationship.
What do you mean?

Sounds pretty good though, if you're happy you're happy then it's good.

I can't really provide any opinion, I'm probably half your age but it sounds decent, especially about living in the country with a couple of dogs.
Old Mar 29th 2012, 11:51 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

... spend out our days in a slightly shabby Georgian house in a village somewhere that'll smell of wet wool and aged dogs?

I've popped one of these in the post for you.

Name:  se du.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  5.7 KB

Unless of course you don't intend having dogs around and its she who smells of wet dogs. In which case you're in need of more than a book.

Seriously, though (yes, I can do serious sometimes): Why don't you expect passion? Even for those who've had their hearts seemingly ripped out or frozen to ice, surely passion will come--either at first in a sudden rush, or it will build slowly. Maybe you need to let go of something. Unless you're old and merely looking for companionship (which I don't think you are), I believe passion should be there in a courtship because for most couples feelings wane (or transmute into something better, for the lucky ones), and if you don't start off with something heady then in a few years' time you'll be wondering what the hell you're doing.

Neverthless, good luck--that's only my view, I think you're big enough to know what you're doing.
Old Mar 29th 2012, 11:59 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

This thread has been sullied by Ethos83's passionless love life
Old Mar 30th 2012, 8:22 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Da Vinci Code is a good shout. Couldn't get past the first page.

Also Harry Potter. Got a bit further with it that DVC, but soon realised that it should only be read by 11-year-old boys. My 11-year-old son loves it (as much as I loved Star Wars at his age).
Old Mar 30th 2012, 8:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Aww Ethos, nice to hear you have found a lady ( and I am sure she has a title), but I'm concerned about your lack of passion- how can you never have experienced passion? It's what keeps a relationship alive- the arguments, the making up, the furniture breaking sex- having never met you I get the impression you're a little uptight- comes with being posh- you need to find a bit of fire in yourself and go for it- don't holdback- sweep her off her feet and she'll react to it- unless she is equally as uptight in which case I can see you in 25 years reading books (see I bought it back to the thread) with separate night lights in your m and s nightwear kissing each other on the cheek before rolling over and going to sleep- not even spooning! Unleash the animal inside you Ethos- you've got one inside of you somewhere, forget what ever it is your worried about ( being too conservative I suspect) and jump in both feet! You wont regret it I promise!
Old Mar 30th 2012, 9:19 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

KittyKat, Ethos' rumpy-pumpy would never break any of his furniture. And that's nothing to do with his vigour or lack of.
Old Mar 30th 2012, 12:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Starting, of course, with Mr and Mrs Millhouse were bran' new people with a maid and two 4x4s in their bran' new villa on Arabian Ranches.
Nice. I like that. For factual accuracy we now have three 4x4s. If only you knew mate.
Old Mar 30th 2012, 12:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
This thread has been sullied by Ethos83's passionless love life
Maybe if he didn't started his sexual advances with the phrase 'if I wash it, will you suck it' he might get a bit more spice
Old Mar 31st 2012, 4:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1
Aww Ethos, nice to hear you have found a lady ( and I am sure she has a title), but I'm concerned about your lack of passion- how can you never have experienced passion? It's what keeps a relationship alive- the arguments, the making up, the furniture breaking sex- having never met you I get the impression you're a little uptight- comes with being posh- you need to find a bit of fire in yourself and go for it- don't holdback- sweep her off her feet and she'll react to it- unless she is equally as uptight in which case I can see you in 25 years reading books (see I bought it back to the thread) with separate night lights in your m and s nightwear kissing each other on the cheek before rolling over and going to sleep- not even spooning! Unleash the animal inside you Ethos- you've got one inside of you somewhere, forget what ever it is your worried about ( being too conservative I suspect) and jump in both feet! You wont regret it I promise!
That post has just given me my first erection since 1996........
Old Mar 31st 2012, 5:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

lol dean- life in the old dog yet eh!
Old Mar 31st 2012, 6:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

The closest I can think of is Terry Pratchett but it's not quite the same.

I do sort of miss Dubai. Life is unquestionably easier down there. But I'm well compensated to put up with the charms of London and I have something I never had in Dubai - a girl (ok, young woman) who's seriously contemplating marriage with me (no haven't popped the q and won't for a bit but she's still with me and has been making references to a future life - together). Not sure whether to be flattered or run for the hills.

better hurry before the rohypnol wears off
Old Apr 1st 2012, 7:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

Atlas Shrugged.

pile of shit.
Old Apr 1st 2012, 9:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone read The Satanic Verses? I have this suspicion that Rushdie only attained notoriety because of the Fatwa.
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 4:41 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dumbo
I have to disagree on your selection of religious tomes and also Mein Kampf. People are idiots and very forgetful, these books should exist if only to remind us how stupid we can be.

My suggestion FWIW would be self help books.
Marx's works have cause far more death and destruction than Mein Kampf...

I'd add Protocols of the Eldars of Zion, all of David Icke's nonsense and one or two religious books only (which I cannot mention as the internet is now policed it seems).

N.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.