Room 101 - Books

Old Mar 29th 2012, 8:38 am
  #1  
Bored liberal
Thread Starter
 
Meow's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Over there ----->
Posts: 13,705
Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Room 101 - Books

I hesitated to suggest this as a category as books are intrinsically good, but there are a few that we could easily afford to get rid of.

Anything written by Jeffrey Archer (one day those skeletons in his closet will be let loose...)
Ghost writtern nonsense by 'celebrities' - Katie Price is a prime example
All religious tomes
Eat, Pray, Love
Mein Kampf
Meow is offline  
Old Mar 29th 2012, 9:03 am
  #2  
N/A
 
Dumbo's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: 53 miles West of Venus
Posts: 703
Dumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Room 101 - Books

I have to disagree on your selection of religious tomes and also Mein Kampf. People are idiots and very forgetful, these books should exist if only to remind us how stupid we can be.

My suggestion FWIW would be self help books.
Dumbo is offline  
Old Mar 29th 2012, 9:13 am
  #3  
Kix
Nothing doin' here
 
Kix's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,508
Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Room 101 - Books

The Tin Drum by Günter Grass, got to be the most depressing book ever. But I had to finish it.
Kix is offline  
Old Mar 29th 2012, 9:16 am
  #4  
WWLLCJD?
 
Scamp's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Dubai
Posts: 21,549
Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Room 101 - Books

"Who moved my cheese"
Scamp is offline  
Old Mar 29th 2012, 9:25 am
  #5  
Bored liberal
Thread Starter
 
Meow's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Over there ----->
Posts: 13,705
Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Room 101 - Books

Originally Posted by Dumbo View Post
I have to disagree on your selection of religious tomes and also Mein Kampf. People are idiots and very forgetful, these books should exist if only to remind us how stupid we can be.

My suggestion FWIW would be self help books.
Agree regarding 99% of self-help books. Fair point regarding religious tomes, but I am going to reclassify them all as fiction.
Meow is offline  
Old Mar 29th 2012, 9:39 am
  #6  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 13,554
The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Room 101 - Books

Most things by the ludicrously overrated Charles Dickens........

"One day, Mr Chesapeake Binglebump left his home and headed for the Stock Exchange, where he was employed as a wages clerk. Thirty-seven pages later, he arrived....."
The Dean is offline  
Old Mar 29th 2012, 10:10 am
  #7  
Perky but sarky
 
lullabelle's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Limboland
Posts: 608
lullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Room 101 - Books

the truly dreadful The Da Vinci Code.

Anything you find by a till in a book shop which has something to do with cats or starts "the little book of..."
lullabelle is offline  
Old Mar 29th 2012, 10:23 am
  #8  
N/A
 
Dumbo's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: 53 miles West of Venus
Posts: 703
Dumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Room 101 - Books

Originally Posted by Meow View Post
Agree regarding 99% of self-help books. Fair point regarding religious tomes, but I am going to reclassify them all as fiction.
I think that is more than fair
Dumbo is offline  
Old Mar 29th 2012, 10:27 am
  #9  
Bored liberal
Thread Starter
 
Meow's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Over there ----->
Posts: 13,705
Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Room 101 - Books

Originally Posted by The Dean View Post
Most things by the ludicrously overrated Charles Dickens........

"One day, Mr Chesapeake Binglebump left his home and headed for the Stock Exchange, where he was employed as a wages clerk. Thirty-seven pages later, he arrived....."
Lovely summary!

Very much of their time I think. I find the books overly long, but they can form the basis of some great adaptations.
Meow is offline  
Old Mar 29th 2012, 10:31 am
  #10  
Hit 16's
 
Bahtatboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Posts: 13,118
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Room 101 - Books

Originally Posted by Meow View Post
Agree regarding 99% of self-help books. Fair point regarding religious tomes, but I am going to reclassify them all as fiction.
Assuming that the "...For Dummies" series qualify as self-help, one of these gets binned but surely not the other

Name:  Bible fd.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  4.0 KB

Name:  Ukulele fd.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  5.1 KB
Bahtatboy is offline  
Old Mar 29th 2012, 10:40 am
  #11  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,502
Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Room 101 - Books

The original books were written and published in a serial format so the readers would have read a short chapter per week. That allowed for a heavily convoluted plot lines and excessive overwriting.

I still enjoy Dickens. A keen insight into the complexities of British society of the early and mid Victorian period. One of my favourite lines is: 'Mr and Mrs Veenering were bran' new people who lived in a bran' new house in a bran' new part of London'. That single sentence tells you everything you needed to know about the couple.

We simply don't have a modern day social satirist version of Dickens. Though I'm tempted to write a book about the pretensions of Dubai expats. Starting, of course, with Mr and Mrs Millhouse were bran' new people with a maid and two 4x4s in their bran' new villa on Arabian Ranches.

Originally Posted by Meow View Post
Lovely summary!

Very much of their time I think. I find the books overly long, but they can form the basis of some great adaptations.
Ethos83 is offline  
Old Mar 29th 2012, 10:46 am
  #12  
WWLLCJD?
 
Scamp's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Dubai
Posts: 21,549
Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Room 101 - Books

Originally Posted by Ethos83 View Post
The original books were written and published in a serial format so the readers would have read a short chapter per week. That allowed for a heavily convoluted plot lines and excessive overwriting.

I still enjoy Dickens. A keen insight into the complexities of British society of the early and mid Victorian period. One of my favourite lines is: 'Mr and Mrs Veenering were bran' new people who lived in a bran' new house in a bran' new part of London'. That single sentence tells you everything you needed to know about the couple.

We simply don't have a modern day social satirist version of Dickens. Though I'm tempted to write a book about the pretensions of Dubai expats. Starting, of course, with Mr and Mrs Millhouse were bran' new people with a maid and two 4x4s in their bran' new villa on Arabian Ranches.
Are you jealous that you don't live here anymore?

No modern social satirist? Are you kidding me? There are just such varied styles now.
Scamp is offline  
Old Mar 29th 2012, 10:53 am
  #13  
Bored liberal
Thread Starter
 
Meow's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Over there ----->
Posts: 13,705
Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Room 101 - Books

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy View Post
Assuming that the "...For Dummies" series qualify as self-help, one of these gets binned but surely not the other

Attachment 106070

Attachment 106071
One is a self-help book, the other a technical guide about something real.

Ok?
Meow is offline  
Old Mar 29th 2012, 10:58 am
  #14  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,502
Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Room 101 - Books

The closest I can think of is Terry Pratchett but it's not quite the same.

I do sort of miss Dubai. Life is unquestionably easier down there. But I'm well compensated to put up with the charms of London and I have something I never had in Dubai - a girl (ok, young woman) who's seriously contemplating marriage with me (no haven't popped the q and won't for a bit but she's still with me and has been making references to a future life - together). Not sure whether to be flattered or run for the hills.

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
Are you jealous that you don't live here anymore?

No modern social satirist? Are you kidding me? There are just such varied styles now.
Ethos83 is offline  
Old Mar 29th 2012, 11:13 am
  #15  
WWLLCJD?
 
Scamp's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Dubai
Posts: 21,549
Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Room 101 - Books

Originally Posted by Ethos83 View Post
The closest I can think of is Terry Pratchett but it's not quite the same.

I do sort of miss Dubai. Life is unquestionably easier down there. But I'm well compensated to put up with the charms of London and I have something I never had in Dubai - a girl (ok, young woman) who's seriously contemplating marriage with me (no haven't popped the q and won't for a bit but she's still with me and has been making references to a future life - together). Not sure whether to be flattered or run for the hills.
Fair play - a lot of folk complain that this place is not the one to meet your future partner. I brought mine with me, but am too young for the q.

Why not just ask?

Terry P is a good shout, I was thinking more along the lines of folk outside the novel writing world so on reflection, less relevant.
Scamp is offline  

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.