British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Room 101 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/room-101-a-751358/)

Meow Mar 12th 2012 10:26 am

Room 101

Not the George Orwell book, but the current TV show.

Let's try and get some conversation going. I will pick a category each day and you lot have to pick your suggestion to be consigned to history, with an explanation. Got it?

Today's category is 'A celebrity'

My choice is Lulu. I absolutely loathe the short, shouty, ginger Scottish dwarf who hasn't had a decent record since 1974 (ignoring when she shagged half of take That) yet still releases albums on a regular basis. I want to know who on earth buys them. She has clearly had so much plastic surgery it's a wonder she can still 'sing'.

Even typing that about the vile harridan makes me feel a bit stabby.

Anyway, your choice plus explanation please, in the category of 'a celebrity'.

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 12th 2012 10:59 am

Re: Room 101

Anyone from The Only Way Is Essex (TOWIE).

They should be hung, drawn and quartered.

spartans53 Mar 12th 2012 11:08 am

All rich Jinglies

Millhouse Mar 12th 2012 11:16 am

The world does not need Jedward

weasel decentral Mar 12th 2012 11:25 am

What do you call a dog with five dicks?

Take that featuring Lulu :lol:

I'll second the vote on Jedward, but at least we had the good sense to export the pair of muppets

explantion : to me Jedward constitute an abomination of nature, they operate in a perfect vacuum of talent.

commander Mar 12th 2012 11:28 am

The Krankies...should have been neutered and locked up, then fed to sharks.

Oh and clawhand beadle was a dodgy twat also, wouldn't have left him with my kids for too long.

Meow Mar 12th 2012 11:36 am

You lot are rubbish. You aren't explaining WHY you think they should be consigned to Room 101.

Obviously it's quite clear, but do please show your workings...

shiva Mar 12th 2012 11:59 am

Celebrity full stop

Mankind functioned pretty well for several millennia without any celebrities I foresee a better future once all celebrities are culled systematically for our entertainment on live tv.

Ok it would be a short lived tv culture but would I suspect be wildly popular until we ran out of celebs

Meow Mar 12th 2012 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 9948397)
Celebrity full stop

Mankind functioned pretty well for several millennia without any celebrities I foresee a better future once all celebrities are culled systematically for our entertainment on live tv.

Ok it would be a short lived tv culture but would I suspect be wildly popular until we ran out of celebs

I agree regarding the spectaculalry useless ones, but in terms of true meaning. It's the current rash of people who are called celebrities but only by misuse of the word. These reality TV desperados and soap opera airheads are not actually celebrated for anything. They haven't done or achieved anything worthwhile. I totally fail to understand the interest in the likes of Kim Kardashian for example.

These nonentities are shocking role models and have no actual achievements. The people we should be celebrating are scientists, writers, musicians, artists, engineers etc who enrich our lives.

Anyway, the rules of the game is that you pick one of these nonentities and give a reason.

Millsyisland Mar 12th 2012 2:15 pm

Jordan, Katie Price, whatever the hell her name is.

Should be assigned to Room 101 for having no talent but still making shedloads of money from having ridiculously oversize fake tits and generally not being particularly attractive.

I don't really understand the attraction (unless you like looking at ridiculously fake tits, which I don't, give me the real thing anyday. Please.)

Kix Mar 12th 2012 2:45 pm

Financial Advisers

They make money out of what they want to sell you, not want you need, they purposely and constantly insert your name into every sentence they use, they ring and text you whenever they need an extra deal for their sick wife/mother/pet pig. They want to you to know this is highly complex subject and they dont' want you to think Stocks can get overly expensive and that there is an exit point just as there is an entry point (I'm guessing they lose $$$).

And finally the disclaimer, it's never their fault because "Past performance is no guarantee of future results" and "Investments can go up or down".

So no matter what happens, they always win, whether you win or lose.

Ban them to Room 101 Meow, I know you want to really. ;)

littlejimmy Mar 12th 2012 3:16 pm

Colonel Sanders. Cuz he made me fayut...

shiva Mar 12th 2012 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 9948482)
I agree regarding the spectaculalry useless ones, but in terms of true meaning. It's the current rash of people who are called celebrities but only by misuse of the word. These reality TV desperados and soap opera airheads are not actually celebrated for anything. They haven't done or achieved anything worthwhile. I totally fail to understand the interest in the likes of Kim Kardashian for example.

These nonentities are shocking role models and have no actual achievements. The people we should be celebrating are scientists, writers, musicians, artists, engineers etc who enrich our lives.

Anyway, the rules of the game is that you pick one of these nonentities and give a reason.

Ok if I'm forced to one only it has to be the one who's demise would remove the most nuggets so it has to be Simon cowell.

shiva Mar 12th 2012 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by Kix (Post 9948572)
Financial Advisers

They make money out of what they want to sell you, not want you need, they purposely and constantly insert your name into every sentence they use, they ring and text you whenever they need an extra deal for their sick wife/mother/pet pig. They want to you to know this is highly complex subject and they dont' want you to think Stocks can get overly expensive and that there is an exit point just as there is an entry point (I'm guessing they lose $$$).

And finally the disclaimer, it's never their fault because "Past performance is no guarantee of future results" and "Investments can go up or down".

So no matter what happens, they always win, whether you win or lose.

Ban them to Room 101 Meow, I know you want to really. ;)

Of course you could always just tell them that a random pick of any index tracker has outperformed 95% of managed funds for the last 30 odd years, so if they like to pick a number between one and 50 and that's the one you'll pick in a financial list, don't forget to thank them for the advice though.

Kix Mar 12th 2012 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 9948764)
Of course you could always just tell them that a random pick of any index tracker has outperformed 95% of managed funds for the last 30 odd years, so if they like to pick a number between one and 50 and that's the one you'll pick in a financial list, don't forget to thank them for the advice though.

And pay them for the pin you used, a grand total of $10,000...