Room 010

Old Jul 11th 2017, 6:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Dubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Room 010

[QUOTE=Scamp;12291417]

Nope, sorry. It's like a roast dinner. Totally overrated.

Is this Scamps room, or everyones??
Old Jul 11th 2017, 7:01 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Dubaiexile
Is this Scamps room, or everyones??
I refer the honorable gentleman to the first post of the thread. Particularly:

Originally Posted by Scamp
then as usual, I get final say on if your 'thing' goes into Room 010. Most will. I'm a positive guy.

I'm not being swayed on roast dinners. If you can make a case for fish and chips then I'm happy to hear it because from time to time I will make the mistake of ordering it.
Old Jul 11th 2017, 7:05 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not being swayed on roast dinners. If you can make a case for fish and chips then I'm happy to hear it because from time to time I will make the mistake of ordering it.
I'm with you on roast dinners but a decent fish and chips is top bollocks! Bad ones are just awful though.
Old Jul 11th 2017, 7:15 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nottmbantam
Live football match, at night, under floodlights, slight drizzle to have the ball zip off the surface, a few crunching tackles. All preceded by a couple of pints.
That's a good call , the smell of bovril and the glistening grass . Almost makes me homesick .
Old Jul 11th 2017, 7:16 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Large, corn-fed chicken, stuffed with two oranges, garlic butter inserted under the skin and liberally applied on the skin, roasted correctly until the flesh is succulent and tender and the skin crisp. Breasts carved off whole and then sliced vertically so that each slice has a piece of crisp skin on top.

Home-made stuffing cooked separately till crisp on top. Roast parsnips; pan-fried Brussels a la Jamie; swede/potato mash; roast potatoes done in goose fat till really crisp on the outside but fluffy on the inside. Home-made bread sauce and cranberry sauce, and of course gravy made with the roasting juices.

Followed by raspberry pavlova.

Sorry Scamp, but that's going in...
Old Jul 11th 2017, 7:18 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Large, corn-fed chicken, stuffed with two oranges, garlic butter inserted under the skin and liberally applied on the skin, roasted correctly until the flesh is succulent and tender and the skin crisp. Breasts carved off whole and then sliced vertically so that each slice has a piece of crisp skin on top.

Home-made stuffing cooked separately till crisp on top. Roast parsnips; pan-fried Brussels a la Jamie; swede/potato mash; roast potatoes done in goose fat till really crisp on the outside but fluffy on the inside. Home-made bread sauce and cranberry sauce, and of course gravy made with the roasting juices.

Swap it for a rib of beef and then throw it in .
Old Jul 11th 2017, 7:20 am
Forum Regular

Gavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really nice

I'm sure there will be exceptions but in my experience, fish and chips is generally shite unless the chip shop is within 20 miles or so of a fishing port.
Old Jul 11th 2017, 7:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by co durham boy
That's a good call , the smell of bovril and the glistening grass . Almost makes me homesick .
soon solve that problem, reality is a pisser

Old Jul 11th 2017, 7:25 am
Wannabe Cycling God

TheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond repute

as someone born in Brixton, Devon, I can only agree with this.
Old Jul 11th 2017, 7:26 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by jam25mack
I'm with you on roast dinners but a decent fish and chips is top bollocks! Bad ones are just awful though.
Originally Posted by Gavtek
I'm sure there will be exceptions but in my experience, fish and chips is generally shite unless the chip shop is within 20 miles or so of a fishing port.
I'm so glad I'm not alone.

You're joking aren't you? You had the chance to fight for a roast dinner to go in and you chose chicken?
It's got to be the worst roast option possible. No matter how good or fancy or 'juicy' you claim that recipe or others may be it's worse than turkey.
I'm sorry Bahtat, you're a good man but this is awful.

Originally Posted by co durham boy
Swap it for a rib of beef and then throw it in .
Palatable. I do enjoy beef in whatever format. People can't be snobby about having yorkshire puds with beef either.
Old Jul 11th 2017, 7:29 am
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

That stuff belongs in Room 101. Roast dinners are vastly over rated, the only thing I like is the roast beef / chicken, Yorkshires, roast spuds and gravy. Everything else can go down the pan - mashed potatos in particular. Worst food invention ever.

But I do love a bit of pavlova....
Old Jul 11th 2017, 7:34 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by nottmbantam
That stuff belongs in Room 101. Roast dinners are vastly over rated, the only thing I like is the roast beef / chicken, Yorkshires, roast spuds and gravy. Everything else can go down the pan - mashed potatos in particular. Worst food invention ever.

But I do love a bit of pavlova....
Mashed potato makes me gag. It's the only potato I don't eat. 3-4 forkfuls and I'm retching. Must be the consistency.
Old Jul 11th 2017, 7:53 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

You're joking aren't you? You had the chance to fight for a roast dinner to go in and you chose chicken?
It's got to be the worst roast option possible. No matter how good or fancy or 'juicy' you claim that recipe or others may be it's worse than turkey.
I'm sorry Bahtat, you're a good man but this is awful.
There's chicken and then there's chicken. And then some. Mouth-wateringly good when done right, provided the bird's premium. But I'd happily go with turkey, crown roast of lamb (or hoggit), beef, beef wellington (verging away from true roast), pork (but only if the crackling's really brittle, which requires cooking it separately), pheasant, duck...

But I'll return to the chicken: as a simple, traditional Sunday roast it's a mainstay of English family cooking; by combining a corn/grain-fed free-range bird and exotic elements (the garlic and orange) the taste, succulence and aroma are fundamentally different from anything you'll get from a limp, pale, ill-fed, ill-nurtured and water-injected obscenity from a "super"market. Add to that the skill of the cook in ensuring that its cooked to a T, is allowed to rest, and then expertly carved onto piping-hot plates, and accompanied by veg and sauces that complement the flavour of the bird, and you have a meal of true excellence.

Dissing that because its "only chicken" demeans refined home cooking. Sorry to say, but if you don't / can't appreciate that, it's either because you've never experienced it done properly (ingredients, technique, combinations, sauces, presentation), or you've been seduced into believing that something can't be excellent unless it's fancy.

Old Jul 11th 2017, 8:25 am
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

When you inviting us all around then? (Will pass on the dessert mind you).
Old Jul 11th 2017, 9:16 am
Account Closed

There's chicken and then there's chicken. And then some. Mouth-wateringly good when done right, provided the bird's premium. But I'd happily go with turkey, crown roast of lamb (or hoggit), beef, beef wellington (verging away from true roast), pork (but only if the crackling's really brittle, which requires cooking it separately), pheasant, duck...

But I'll return to the chicken: as a simple, traditional Sunday roast it's a mainstay of English family cooking; by combining a corn/grain-fed free-range bird and exotic elements (the garlic and orange) the taste, succulence and aroma are fundamentally different from anything you'll get from a limp, pale, ill-fed, ill-nurtured and water-injected obscenity from a "super"market. Add to that the skill of the cook in ensuring that its cooked to a T, is allowed to rest, and then expertly carved onto piping-hot plates, and accompanied by veg and sauces that complement the flavour of the bird, and you have a meal of true excellence.

Dissing that because its "only chicken" demeans refined home cooking. Sorry to say, but if you don't / can't appreciate that, it's either because you've never experienced it done properly (ingredients, technique, combinations, sauces, presentation), or you've been seduced into believing that something can't be excellent unless it's fancy.

http://www.lishmansbutchers.co.uk/wp...Prooduct13.jpg
Politely, I'll agree to disagree with you here. I like fine foods, I like cheap nasty food....but I believe the roast to be totally overrated because it is far too much effort for a plate of vegetables. Eating one out involves a plate of badly cooked or average vegetables, dry meat and terrible potatoes. I'd have to come to your house to have a decent one (apparently) and that only goes to put the full stop on my point - they're not worth the hassle.

Put one in front of me and I'll enjoy it if it's good (My step-mother was a fantastic home cook who's roasts were about the only ones I'd ever consider eating.....and they didn't come with oval-pan fried Egyptian smoked twice washed brussels, stuffed king edward herb crusted helmets and basting of the underside of a truffled jam puree and other genuine Heston-inspired bollocks because once you introduce that stuff you're forcing someone to say it's incredible). Taking normal flavours of a 'mainstay' and flowering them up as more than they are is exactly what fancy is.

However, 99 out of 100 are going to be bang average plates of veg which have been cooked by someone who now regrets starting it.

Chicken being the bottom of the pile. Beef is the tallest dwarf and in first spot. Crackling is very hard to do so Pork goes third. Lamb is tasty and goes second for me, but that's because I love beef, Lamb probably deserves top spot I reckon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.