British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Role-playing games...... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/role-playing-games-615159/)

Norm_uk Jun 19th 2009 10:59 am

Re: Role-playing games......

Originally Posted by aberdeensiregirl (Post 7675930)
I agree - I blame it for my son not doing very much for the past few years!!!

I have a friend who is 30, has no girlfriend and rarely goes out because...yes because of World of Warcraft.

I suggested half jokingly that we start a proper roleplaying group like the good old days (You know, when you had to put up with actual human interaction) and mentioned I even know one or two lasses who would be up for it at least for a laugh and he simply replied he's too busy playing WoW....F**king hell...I love PC games but nothing get's in the way of drinking and womanising except perhaps work which is a nessesary evil.

I hope my boy doesn't turn out like that - have already banned him playing on the computer except at the weekend and only after all homework has been completed.

N.

954RR Jun 19th 2009 11:08 am

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 7679969)
I have a friend who is 30, has no girlfriend and rarely goes out because...yes because of World of Warcraft.

Perhaps someone should give him a copy of the DVD "The 40 year old virgin" before it is too late. :ohmy:

Confucius Jun 19th 2009 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie (Post 7670240)
{No, not that type of role-play.....}

OK, so I have to do a short presentation in a couple of weeks on soft skills in project management.

I was thinking of doing that RPG based on prisoner's dilemma to illustrate win/win negotiations but it's a bit old hat nowadays...

Anyone got any recommendations for kick-ass role plays that they've done (doesn't have to be negotiaion skills - team-building, comms skills, leadership would do instead)......

Let them read "Chicken Soup for The Soul" by Shakespeare...

You can thank me later...

shakh your bootie Jun 19th 2009 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by Confucius (Post 7680843)
Let them read "Chicken Soup for The Soul" by Shakespeare...

You can thank me later...

That's rich coming from the grandmaster of RPG's....

Confucius Jun 19th 2009 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie (Post 7680859)
That's rich coming from the grandmaster of RPG's....

RPGs with over 50yo businesspeople don't arouse me anymore...Believe me...

Grace O Malley Jun 21st 2009 8:35 am

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 7679969)

I suggested half jokingly that we start a proper roleplaying group like the good old days (You know, when you had to put up with actual human interaction) and mentioned I even know one or two lasses who would be up for it at least for a laugh and he simply replied he's too busy playing WoW....F**king hell...I love PC games but nothing get's in the way of drinking and womanising except perhaps work which is a nessesary evil.

I hope my boy doesn't turn out like that - have already banned him playing on the computer except at the weekend and only after all homework has been completed.

N.

How old is he?

Truth is, yes you can ban them when they are younger, but as they get older, you can't unless you treat them like babies and take the PC out of their rooms.

WoW and all these games have a huge social aspect to them and if you ban them from it, you can isolate them from the rest of the kids.

Norm_uk Jun 21st 2009 9:07 am

Originally Posted by Grace O Malley (Post 7684911)
How old is he?

Truth is, yes you can ban them when they are younger, but as they get older, you can't unless you treat them like babies and take the PC out of their rooms.

WoW and all these games have a huge social aspect to them and if you ban them from it, you can isolate them from the rest of the kids.

My son is 7...me and his mum arrange a lot of social activities for him and make sure the PC in the house is around 5 years behind everything today so he couldn't play any of those games even if he wanted to and amuses himself with simple puzzle games when he is allowed to play on the computer.

That said I love computer games (not the online WoW type though) and am highly socialable...I arrange my own biz networking. I think computer game addition is like any other addiction and needs treatment...games are hugely popular these days yet most gamers (who are over 25 and under 40) are not addicted.

N.

Grace O Malley Jun 21st 2009 9:16 am

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 7684962)
My son is 7...me and his mum arrange a lot of social activities for him and make sure the PC in the house is around 5 years behind everything today so he couldn't play any of those games even if he wanted to and amuses himself with simple puzzle games when he is allowed to play on the computer.

That said I love computer games (not the online WoW type though) and am highly socialable...I arrange my own biz networking. I think computer game addition is like any other addiction and needs treatment...games are hugely popular these days yet most gamers (who are over 25 and under 40) are not addicted.

N.

Take a trip to click or warrior in AD, both are packed always, all ages 13 - mid 30's the owner is making a small fortune.