British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Role-playing games...... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/role-playing-games-615159/)

shakh your bootie Jun 16th 2009 5:09 pm

Role-playing games......
 
{No, not that type of role-play.....}

OK, so I have to do a short presentation in a couple of weeks on soft skills in project management.

I was thinking of doing that RPG based on prisoner's dilemma to illustrate win/win negotiations but it's a bit old hat nowadays...

Anyone got any recommendations for kick-ass role plays that they've done (doesn't have to be negotiaion skills - team-building, comms skills, leadership would do instead)......

MataHari Jun 16th 2009 5:14 pm

Re: Role-playing games......
 

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie (Post 7670240)
{No, not that type of role-play.....}

:(

shakh your bootie Jun 16th 2009 5:18 pm

Re: Role-playing games......
 

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 7670250)
:(

On the other hand, why don't you tell me what kind of role play rocks your world?

MataHari Jun 16th 2009 5:21 pm

Re: Role-playing games......
 

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie (Post 7670268)
On the other hand, why don't you tell me what kind of role play rocks your world?

I like to pretend I am Scottish...apparently that would make me special, which makes a nice change...

shakh your bootie Jun 16th 2009 5:32 pm

Re: Role-playing games......
 

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 7670273)
I like to pretend I am Scottish...apparently that would make me special, which makes a nice change...

I suspect that you feel very special indeed - sadly, I lack the experimental evidence to validate this.

MataHari Jun 16th 2009 5:33 pm

Re: Role-playing games......
 

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie (Post 7670299)
I suspect that you feel very special indeed - sadly, I lack the experimental evidence to validate this.

the night is still young and all that...

Eva Jun 16th 2009 5:44 pm

Re: Role-playing games......
 

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 7670273)
I like to pretend I am Scottish...apparently that would make me special, which makes a nice change...

Being of the House of Orange ,I suppose it's possible you could be Scottish though it would depend very much on from which tree your 501's fell....

Jaffa or Navelo- no worries;
Satsuma or Mandarin- sorry far too thin skinned;)

Roadking Jun 16th 2009 6:27 pm

Re: Role-playing games......
 

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie (Post 7670240)
{No, not that type of role-play.....}

OK, so I have to do a short presentation in a couple of weeks on soft skills in project management.

I was thinking of doing that RPG based on prisoner's dilemma to illustrate win/win negotiations but it's a bit old hat nowadays...

Anyone got any recommendations for kick-ass role plays that they've done (doesn't have to be negotiaion skills - team-building, comms skills, leadership would do instead)......

Red/Blue is a cool negotiation win/win exercise. Crash landed on the moon or desert is also good.

I like games, specially when i don't play.:p

Grace O Malley Jun 17th 2009 10:19 am

Re: Role-playing games......
 

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie (Post 7670240)
{No, not that type of role-play.....}

OK, so I have to do a short presentation in a couple of weeks on soft skills in project management.

I was thinking of doing that RPG based on prisoner's dilemma to illustrate win/win negotiations but it's a bit old hat nowadays...

Anyone got any recommendations for kick-ass role plays that they've done (doesn't have to be negotiaion skills - team-building, comms skills, leadership would do instead)......

red/black game

Zin obelisk

google them, if nothing comes up , PM me

Norm_uk Jun 17th 2009 10:48 am

Re: Role-playing games......
 

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie (Post 7670240)
{No, not that type of role-play.....}

I was hoping it was some nostaligic thread about things like dungeons & dragons that we did back in the 80s as nerdy kids...or at least something rude and sexual.

Damn misleading...:p

N.

shakh your bootie Jun 17th 2009 10:52 am

Re: Role-playing games......
 

Originally Posted by Grace O Malley (Post 7672395)
red/black game

Zin obelisk

google them, if nothing comes up , PM me

Thanks, Grace - I'd forgotten about Zin; it might be a bit basic, 'tho, because the audience are pretty experienced PM's and the excercise is basically a scheduling task. I thought I'd focus on Negotiation Skills as this is - curiously - not commonly included in PM methodologies or training (it doesn't even appear as a skill in Forsberg et al's PM model)....

Red/Black is a good one for illustrating iterated prisoner's dilemma. I also thought about Ugli Orange??

My worry is that because these excercises "do the rounds" a fair percentage of a group of middle-aged middle-managers will have seen them before....

shakh your bootie Jun 17th 2009 10:55 am

Re: Role-playing games......
 

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 7672453)
I was hoping it was some nostaligic thread about things like dungeons & dragons that we did back in the 80s as nerdy kids...or at least something rude and sexual.

Damn misleading...:p

N.

LOL - you have a point. Somehow World of Warcraft just ain't the same as sitting in a bedsit with a bunch of other guys without girlfriends rolling dice and pretending you're a wood elf with healing skills and stealth but no armour....

seraphnina Jun 17th 2009 11:10 am

Re: Role-playing games......
 
We used to play doctors and nurses.

shakh your bootie Jun 17th 2009 11:17 am

Re: Role-playing games......
 
If anyone's interested - there is a quite horrific account of a delegate's experience of a "personal development" course (includes an account of red/black game):

http://pagesperso-orange.fr/eldon.br...ess/lgat2.html

Day 4 gets even worse....

Norm_uk Jun 17th 2009 11:18 am

Re: Role-playing games......
 

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie (Post 7672467)
LOL - you have a point. Somehow World of Warcraft just ain't the same as sitting in a bedsit with a bunch of other guys without girlfriends rolling dice and pretending you're a wood elf with healing skills and stealth but no armour....

Actually I never liked D&D and preferred other games like Vampire, Shadowrun and Warhammer...and we used to have our girlfriend's join us. Ultimate nerd fest it was (complete with pot and beer when we got to college).I still have my dice hehe.

I miss the old days, you're right about that world of warcraft thing - no social aspect to it.

N.


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:24 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.