British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Roger Moore RIP (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/roger-moore-rip-897153/)

Miss Ann Thrope May 24th 2017 9:16 am

Roger Moore RIP

Died at home in Switzerland aged 89 following a "short fight with cancer".

Kind of got missed with the understandable focus on the Manchester atrocity.

He was the Bond I grew up with so, though not my favourite, he is the ur-Bond for me. And a complete gent on and off the screen by all accounts.

Plus the single best sequence in the history of the Bond movies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kyQauA2udc[/URL]

NorthernLad May 24th 2017 9:51 am

Re: Roger Moore RIP

Moonraker and Octopussy are still my favourites.

A great story here:

This truly wonderful Roger Moore story will soothe your aching soul | The Poke

becks_r May 24th 2017 10:18 am

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 12259415)

A great story here:

That story was so great. Sad that he is gone, but I think he had a great life. He came across in interviews as a lovely man with a great sense of humour. Also with so many people, like Alan Rickman, dying much younger than they should, it's nice to see him getting to a good age of 89.

captainflack May 24th 2017 11:18 am

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope (Post 12259393)
Plus the single best sequence in the history of the Bond movies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kyQauA2udc[/URL]

This version is even better:

Roger Moore was indeed a legend. Seems a genuinely nice guy, very funny too in an understated way. He never took the Bond role too seriously, and unlike a lot of actors who seem to resent the roles that made them famous, he always seemed happy to keep being Bond long after he stopped starring in the movies and said he never minded at all when people in restaurants or hotels called him Mr Bond.

I guess you always prefer the Bond you grew up with, for me Moonraker was the first Bond film I saw, so Roger Moore will always be the real Bond.

scrubbedexpat141 May 24th 2017 11:32 am

My Bond was Brosnan, who I'll only ever see as Bond.

Roger Moore though, was an absolute joy to watch and I remember being a kid watching old Bond movies and thinking he was the coolest man on earth.

Miss Ann Thrope May 24th 2017 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by captainflack (Post 12259488)
This version is even better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lrp0wJsXNEA

I posted that previously in another forum (it's a bit abbreviated from the movie to match AP's commentary) but today mysteriously lost the ability to embed videos anyway!

Miss Ann Thrope May 24th 2017 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 12259415)

A great story here:

It's a lovely story and I want to believe it. It does seem in character - I mean this is the guy with so much charm that he even managed to make Piers Morgan seem almost human when Morgan interviewed him (and RM was hilarious - worth watching the interview on YouTube).

But.......Blofeld was not actually a character in any of the RM Bond movies because of the lawsuit arising from Moonraker. The start of FYEO does feature a character who is clearly meant to be Blofeld but is never named as as such in the short sequence. Seems unlikely then that Moore would have referenced him in a conversation with a small boy 12 years after Blofeld's last appearance in a Bond movie - and even that was only briefly at the start of DAF, which was Sean Connery's last (official) appearance as Bond....

mission May 24th 2017 12:34 pm

no disrespect to Roger Moore (May Allah swt bless his soul in peace)....my fav all time bond has to be Sean Connery....that schexy accent of his:o

Miss Ann Thrope May 26th 2017 1:33 pm

OSN kindly obliged with an excellent double bill last night: The Man With the Golden Gun, the first Bond I ever saw and which I had under-rated I think on rewatching, and the peerless The Spy Who Loved Me, complete with dodgy Egyptian geography (driving to Luxor from Cairo, really?).

Bahtatboy May 26th 2017 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope (Post 12260937)
OSN kindly obliged with an excellent double bill last night: The Man With the Golden Gun, the first Bond I ever saw and which I had under-rated I think on rewatching, and the peerless The Spy Who Loved Me, complete with dodgy Egyptian geography (driving to Luxor from Cairo, really?).

That's do-able in a Peugeot 504.

nonthaburi May 26th 2017 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope (Post 12260937)

Interestingly enough, I watched TMWTGN last night too. I noticed that when Bond gets into the car and is introduced to the two nieces, one of them seems to speak in Chinese, and the other one speaks in Thai.

The one speaking Thai says how good looking he is, why is his face is like this etc, but the other niece understands??

Boomhauer May 26th 2017 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12259500)
My Bond was Brosnan, who I'll only ever see as Bond.

Roger Moore though, was an absolute joy to watch and I remember being a kid watching old Bond movies and thinking he was the coolest man on earth.

Stopped being into Bond when Brosnan took over. Brosnan as Bond just doesn't work for me. Haven't watched any of the Danial Craig Bond movies.

For me it's Moore and Dalton close behind.

Bahtatboy May 27th 2017 6:48 am

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 12261147)
Stopped being into Bond when Brosnan took over. Brosnan as Bond just doesn't work for me. Haven't watched any of the Danial Craig Bond movies.

The Moore-era films are not comparable with those of Craig. They're a different genre, the former being something kids could watch, with a bit of titillation for dads, but the latter are full-on spy/violence without even any soft edges. I'm not saying that one is better than the other, but they're simply not comparable.

Meow May 27th 2017 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by mission (Post 12259545)
no disrespect to Roger Moore (May Allah swt bless his soul in peace)....my fav all time bond has to be Sean Connery....that schexy accent of his:o

I think the ultimate Bond film is Goldfinger and Connery was very good looking and charming then but I went off him when I found out, many years ago, that he thinks it is okay for a man to hit his wife. He's also a total hypocrite from a political perspective.

scrubbedexpat141 May 28th 2017 4:42 am

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 12261147)

Craig is a very good Bond but I think some older viewers may not see them as the same sorts of films anymore. The cheesy shite that some of the oldest Bond films just doesn't get made now.

Apart from the one where Craig had to stop a guy stealing water. That one was awful.