Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Road safety has no hope

Road safety has no hope

Old Jun 22nd 2014, 4:58 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Road safety has no hope

THIS is why the roads are so ****ing dangerous.

The gulf between what is reasonable, sensible and sane and what we have here is so large as to be insurmountable within a generation if not two.

This didn't really surprise me so much as confirm the lunacy that prevails here.

here

"Motorists who drive slow in the fast lane of the highway, posing a threat to themselves and to the lives of others, can be fined even if they are driving over the minimum speed limit, the Director of Dubai Traffic Police has warned."

"Many rear-ending accidents are caused by large differences in speed between vehicles on the road. “A vehicle that is moving fast on the road suddenly encounters a vehicle going much slower and hits it because the brakes can’t stop the car in time.”

The fast lane is meant for emergencies, such as people who are trying to get to a hospital, and should be used accordingly. “No one has the right to drive in the fast lane if he is blocking the way of others, even if he is driving at 140km/h.”
Old Jun 22nd 2014, 5:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Road safety has no hope

Originally Posted by shiva
THIS is why the roads are so ****ing dangerous.

The gulf between what is reasonable, sensible and sane and what we have here is so large as to be insurmountable within a generation if not two.

This didn't really surprise me so much as confirm the lunacy that prevails here.

here

"Motorists who drive slow in the fast lane of the highway, posing a threat to themselves and to the lives of others, can be fined even if they are driving over the minimum speed limit, the Director of Dubai Traffic Police has warned."

"Many rear-ending accidents are caused by large differences in speed between vehicles on the road. “A vehicle that is moving fast on the road suddenly encounters a vehicle going much slower and hits it because the brakes can’t stop the car in time.”

The fast lane is meant for emergencies, such as people who are trying to get to a hospital, and should be used accordingly. “No one has the right to drive in the fast lane if he is blocking the way of others, even if he is driving at 140km/h.”
Didn't know that about the fast lane. Over here in Yank land, the far left lane / fast lane is for overtaking. The shoulder to the left of the fast lane is for emergencies .
Old Jun 22nd 2014, 5:59 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

And the two readers comments are commending this.

So a 200dh fine for blocking the fast lane...

“A vehicle that is moving fast on the road suddenly encounters a vehicle going much slower and hits it because the brakes can’t stop the car in time.”

Then....

"The fine for not leaving a safe distance is Dh400 and four black traffic points. “The right way to deal with a slow driver is to notify them of your presence by sounding the horn once; if they do not clear the way, you should change lanes,”

Old Jun 22nd 2014, 6:18 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva
"Many rear-ending accidents are caused by large differences in speed between vehicles on the road.”
Pretty much described every accident doesn't it? After all stationery vehicles rarely crash into each other.

I think the answer may be large rubber skirts...around the car obv.
Old Jun 22nd 2014, 6:47 am
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

I think his eminence the good chief is talking about cars which drive themselves and since they have no way of comprehending that the vehicle in front of them is moving at a slower pace, hence they have no choice but to ram it.....oh wait....we dont have those here do we?
guns dont kill people...baboons driving cars kill people!!
Old Jun 22nd 2014, 7:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Cypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
And the two readers comments are commending this.
2? It's up to 15 of the ****wits now.
Old Jun 22nd 2014, 7:31 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

I never cease to be amazed at the number of drivers who think my car can levitate. I presume that's what they are expecting when they flash their light to make me move when hemmed in by traffic.

And fasting drivers to contend with too shortly. Oh joy...
Old Jun 22nd 2014, 7:45 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
As rushing home to break the fast obviously constitutes a religious emergency, we will simply have to somehow let them through.
Old Jun 22nd 2014, 4:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
They are actually going backwards. No wonder so many long timers I know are leaving now things are picking up in the West and elsewhere.

N.
I'm not sure about that...despite this nonsense in the paper, AD island is now littered in speed cameras (as is Dubai) and this has really calmed things down. I've also been given a couple of fines recently for changing lanes without indicating (when you drive a local car, you may as well drive like a local). All sensible stuff, really.

People come here for money, the truth is that costs are going up and there are more options in the west than say five years ago.

Also, I think it depends on your circle of friends... we know lots of people going home this year (all with kids aged 7 - a primary intake year in the UK, or aged 11 - the senior intake year). I also know lots coming here with young kids, or those here with younger kids who have no intention of going any time soon.
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 5:16 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk

In most parts of the world it's almost always the fault of the person who hits from behind...just not here.

this, there is no mention at all of driving in a manner that implies you are looking in the direction you are travelling and prepared for anything you might see or find as you drive in that direction. Such as you know, ****ing cars in front of you that it might be an idea not to ****ing drive into.

Lets just ignore basic car control, road observation and hazard anticipation. You know the stuff they generally insist you have some basic knowledge of before you are allowed to drive a car in a reasonably civilized country
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 5:54 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Meow
I never cease to be amazed at the number of drivers who think my car can levitate. I presume that's what they are expecting when they flash their light to make me move when hemmed in by traffic.

This is my particular blood-boiler.

Several cars to the right. Cruising at 120 in the fast lane. Some **** with flashing lights, a bonnet you can't see in the rear view and hovering off you're rear-left. They expect you to move immediately, INTO A ****ING CAR.

I dabbled with left-hand braking the other week on Al Khail. Couldn't possibly move anywhere, was happy to get out the way when I could, but this chopper couldn't wait. Seeing his whole car shake and swerve as he stamped on the brakes was both brilliant and terrifying. Bit naughty from me but the prick deserves it.
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 5:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I'm not sure about that...despite this nonsense in the paper, AD island is now littered in speed cameras (as is Dubai) and this has really calmed things down. I've also been given a couple of fines recently for changing lanes without indicating (when you drive a local car, you may as well drive like a local). All sensible stuff, really.

People come here for money, the truth is that costs are going up and there are more options in the west than say five years ago.

Also, I think it depends on your circle of friends... we know lots of people going home this year (all with kids aged 7 - a primary intake year in the UK, or aged 11 - the senior intake year). I also know lots coming here with young kids, or those here with younger kids who have no intention of going any time soon.
i agree the standard of driving has "improved" very slightly...... people are using the indicators more... and yes yesterday more speed cameras appeared on the road as well as having a mobile camera parked there too! but the police are doing a much better job than in previous years and they are trying harder. the fact they have closed a lane as they would in the uk for "protection of the workforce on channel street etc" is causing major delays in entering abu dhabi tho because of the major accident/fire there not long ago..... but if people just "zip merged" rather than the usual "push in" then things would go smoother. they have made the traffic queues better on 30th by adding a barrier, which in turn means you cannot cross over to the adnoc you will have to come off the junction and loop around the back, and its made it better and safer...... although more conjestion elsewhere.
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 6:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
This is my particular blood-boiler.

Several cars to the right. Cruising at 120 in the fast lane. Some **** with flashing lights, a bonnet you can't see in the rear view and hovering off you're rear-left. They expect you to move immediately, INTO A ****ING CAR.

I dabbled with left-hand braking the other week on Al Khail. Couldn't possibly move anywhere, was happy to get out the way when I could, but this chopper couldn't wait. Seeing his whole car shake and swerve as he stamped on the brakes was both brilliant and terrifying. Bit naughty from me but the prick deserves it.
there is no point in just adding lanes to the road, if people do not know how to use them all properly in the first lane, sometimes i think i am back in uk because all the traffic is on the left hand side of the road... and the 2 lanes to the right are free!!!! its called the overtaking lane, so overtake and then pull back IN!!!
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 8:22 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by busybee2
there is no point in just adding lanes to the road, if people do not know how to use them all properly in the first lane, sometimes i think i am back in uk because all the traffic is on the left hand side of the road... and the 2 lanes to the right are free!!!! its called the overtaking lane, so overtake and then pull back IN!!!
AMEN.

The second from outermost lane is the worst for people being sat at 80-100 and not moving. I play a game every morning on Al Khail - how long can I stay on cruise control at 120 only using the first 3 lanes. Not got all the way yet, but close.
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 4:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ooooh i dont know what people were on today... nitemare today, nearly crashed into three or four times...... white landcruiser had jumped and crashed into tree, so the other side as usual had actually stopped and blocked the road causing another accident to have a looksee... yeh like we dont see it before.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.