British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   RIP Steve Jobs (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/rip-steve-jobs-734775/)

scrubbedexpat141 Oct 6th 2011 7:14 am

RIP Steve Jobs

(Apple Co-Founder and former CEO)

Always seemed to be a forefront of a business that he built and very proud of what they achieved.

Also seemed to be a decent bloke, oh, and they made some bloody incredible bits of kit.

spine_doc Oct 6th 2011 7:16 am

Re: RIP Steve Jobs

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 9660540)

Always seemed to be a forefront of a business that he built and very proud of what they achieved.

Also seemed to be a decent bloke, oh, and they made some bloody incredible bits of kit.

RIP Steve. Sad day.

Spugsy Oct 6th 2011 8:13 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 9660540)

He left us with lots of nice toys.

Bahtatboy Oct 6th 2011 8:18 am

Yep, really thankful for my shiny thing which makes everything better.

Visionary, as was Soichiro Honda, after whom the Honda company is named. Was probably one of Jobs' first great ideas not to name his company after himself.:)

NorthernLad Oct 6th 2011 8:52 am

A good obituary here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-12215485

weasel decentral Oct 6th 2011 10:04 am

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 9660638)

A more rounded view from the BBC, while I admire the guy and how single minded he was I always feel apple were a triumph of marketing (aside from the some of the Mac computers) more than anything else.

Spugsy Oct 6th 2011 10:10 am

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 9660729)
A more rounded view from the BBC, while I admire the guy and how single minded he was I always feel apple were a triumph of marketing (aside from the some of the Mac computers) more than anything else.

They are a lot more expensive than PCs for what you get, so they had to use a lot of marketing - if it wasn't for the iPod they would still be a smallish company struggling a bit.

NorthernLad Oct 6th 2011 10:13 am

Another interesting read:

http://news.stanford.edu/news/2005/j...bs-061505.html

lullabelle Oct 6th 2011 10:17 am

I'm a total apple fan - ever since my first computer which was a second hand macintosh. I wish I still had it.

Every apple product I have ever bought has lasted for years, been simple to use and lovely to behold. My husbands 3 year old Sony vaio has given us more headaches than all the apple products put together. Actually, the only thing that isn't still going strong is my first iPod which got water on it. My old iMacs are both rammed full but they still function perfectly (an original Ruby and a 2005 job) People harp on about the cost, but my mac stuff seems to last longer and I really have had so few problems. No viruses, no crashes, no weirdness.

I think Steve Jobs changed the way we look at and use tech. I found him truly inspirational. I'm actually really sad today 

And yes, the marketing is brilliant. But if the products were shite they wouldn't be the company they are today.

Ethos83 Oct 6th 2011 10:20 am

Yeah.

Apple made us want to embrace technology as part of our everyday life.

Look at it this way: Ipod/Iphone/Ipad= cool and amazing devices that I can't live without. Who cares if my director still sms me 100 x day on it, it's still amazingly cool.

Blackberry: I hate my F%&#$%#%#$# director and can't wait to turn it off/get rid of it/flush it down the toilet.

Originally Posted by lullabelle (Post 9660750)
I'm a total apple fan - ever since my first computer which was a second hand macintosh. I wish I still had it.

Every apple product I have ever bought has lasted for years, been simple to use and lovely to behold. My husbands 3 year old Sony vaio has given us more headaches than all the apple products put together. Actually, the only thing that isn't still going strong is my first iPod which got water on it. My old iMacs are both rammed full but they still function perfectly (an original Ruby and a 2005 job) People harp on about the cost, but my mac stuff seems to last longer and I really have had so few problems. No viruses, no crashes, no weirdness.

I think Steve Jobs changed the way we look at and use tech. I found him truly inspirational. I'm actually really sad today 

And yes, the marketing is brilliant. But if the products were shite they wouldn't be the company they are today.

Boomhauer Oct 6th 2011 10:32 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 9660612)
Yep, really thankful for my shiny thing which makes everything better.

Visionary, as was Soichiro Honda, after whom the Honda company is named. Was probably one of Jobs' first great ideas not to name his company after himself.:)

From what I read (including Wiki) Wozniak was the brains behind the Apple computer hardware and software design.

Apple/Jobs is/was great at marketting/promotion. The Ipod saved them and the Iphone has some tech advantages (in addition to asthetics) that makes it competitive.

weasel decentral Oct 6th 2011 10:48 am

Originally Posted by lullabelle (Post 9660750)

Well I'd hate to determine Sony's reputation based on a computer your husband bought, especially seeing as the Ipod is just a modern version of their original idea of mobile music. :)
Anyhow not sticking up for any brand in particular I just use what works best for me and so far that hasn't been any apple product.
RIP Steve he certainly wasn't a boring individual

Millhouse Oct 6th 2011 10:50 am

The only thing I use my ipad for is TinyZoo and Tilt to Live.

MacScot Oct 6th 2011 11:19 am

..as I remember him...RIP

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-j1juBgY-Nb...af1ee0_500.jpg

Desert Shaikh Oct 6th 2011 12:09 pm

"Steven Paul Jobs was born in San Francisco on 24 Feb 1955, the son of two unmarried university students, Joanne Schieble and Syrian born Abdulfattah Jandali.

His parents gave him up for adoption and he was taken in by a working class Californian couple Paul & Clara Jobs."
Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-12215485

So that makes him half Arab by birth. :unsure: