Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

RIM - In contention for company fo the year?

RIM - In contention for company fo the year?

Old Apr 9th 2012, 9:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RIM - In contention for company fo the year?

Originally Posted by Scamp
True true true. It's also only my opinion the the iphone is better.

Swings and roundabouts, teens don't need access to email and internet and games on their phones. They should be studying.

Feels good to be able to say that stuff.
Yeah, after all, we all know you'll be collecting your pension next year....
Old Apr 9th 2012, 9:47 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by OleJanx
Yeah, after all, we all know you'll be collecting your pension next year....
hahahaha I should be so lucky.

Kids today though, tossers on the whole. No respect and far too mollycoddled.
Old Apr 9th 2012, 9:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

...I wanna play cricket on the green
ride my bike across the street...

...Cut myself and see my blood
I wanna come home all covered in mud...

Not much chance of that happening these days, eh?
Old Apr 9th 2012, 10:01 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

...I wanna play cricket on the green
ride my bike across the street...

...Cut myself and see my blood
I wanna come home all covered in mud...

Not much chance of that happening these days, eh?
Good grief no.
Old Apr 9th 2012, 1:03 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by typical
Fine for you - not so fine for teenagers...
Or large corporations wanting to save a penny or two...
Old Apr 9th 2012, 1:29 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bob
Or large corporations wanting to save a penny or two...
Out here maybe, in the UK my old dear's firm all use iPhones and if you own an iPad, you're welcomed with open arms to use that too.
Old Apr 9th 2012, 1:44 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Out here maybe, in the UK my old dear's firm all use iPhones and if you own an iPad, you're welcomed with open arms to use that too.
The trend is BYOD these days..
Old Apr 9th 2012, 1:47 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by norsk
I'd seen a thing like that on BBC somewhere....I use my own iPhone here instead of an old blackberry.
Old Apr 9th 2012, 1:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by norsk
Much cheaper for companies....
Old Apr 9th 2012, 2:41 pm
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

Much cheaper for companies....
Not necessarily, and there is a lot of resistance from IT bods - especially as 90% of companies are Windows shops, and for the ease of not having to learn a whole new operating system environment, would prefer it to stay that way.

However, a lot of the time, they are being overridden by top execs who love their iPhone compared to their blackberry, and are demanding to be able to use it for work purposes.

It means a lot of companies are having to pay to upgrade their IT security.
Old Apr 9th 2012, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

giddyup is a name known to allgiddyup is a name known to allgiddyup is a name known to allgiddyup is a name known to allgiddyup is a name known to allgiddyup is a name known to allgiddyup is a name known to allgiddyup is a name known to allgiddyup is a name known to allgiddyup is a name known to allgiddyup is a name known to all

Telcos have a huge influence on adoption of mobiles for teens. In UAE there are limited sms/text offers (e.g SMS 2000 for Dhs30). As such, my lads and their friends are majority BB users (girls are more Apple). They also have some application (its called an app now Dad) that enables messaging for free between iphones and BB but generally I would say a new youth market is emerging here for RIM.
Old Apr 9th 2012, 4:56 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by auzdafluff
Not necessarily, and there is a lot of resistance from IT bods - especially as 90% of companies are Windows shops, and for the ease of not having to learn a whole new operating system environment, would prefer it to stay that way.

However, a lot of the time, they are being overridden by top execs who love their iPhone compared to their blackberry, and are demanding to be able to use it for work purposes.

It means a lot of companies are having to pay to upgrade their IT security.
Being an IT senior management bod myself I don't think this is actually as big an issue as you think.

The blackberry usp for years was that the company could control the access to email and diary and wipe the device if it was lost. However this is equally possible with iPhone and Android and Windows phones, and it could be part of the BYOD policy implemented.

The biggest plus for me is the fact people can use whatever device they are comfortable with. I have always hated blackberry with a passion and although many people do, habits are sometimes difficult to change..
Old Apr 15th 2012, 3:03 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Nokia
...are about to do the same thing as RIM did last year and fire a whole load of staff. They have a plan though, not a good plan but it's one more plan than RIM seems to have.

Apple seems massively over valued at the moment to me.
Old Apr 15th 2012, 4:05 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by giddyup
They also have some application (its called an app now Dad) that enables messaging for free between iphones and BB.
Not just iPhones you old fogie! Whatsapp does pretty much every phone. Nice cheap (as in free)way to message people if you've got wi fi.
Get with it daddio, you're so square!