British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Rihanna Anybody? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/rihanna-anybody-795790/)

mentalist May 2nd 2013 7:00 am

Rihanna Anybody?

She will be playing at Yas Island on 19th October 2013, allegedly.
http://gulfnews.com/about-gulf-news/...habi-1.1178277

Millsyisland May 2nd 2013 7:17 am

Re: Rihanna Anybody?

Not sure that'll be in accordance with the moral and cultural values etc etc...

Unless she agrees to tone down.

britexpat76 May 2nd 2013 7:19 am

In reply to the thread title, Hell yes.

scrubbedexpat141 May 2nd 2013 9:02 am

I'm all over that.

NorthernLad May 2nd 2013 9:04 am

Originally Posted by mentalist (Post 10688217)

Looks like a weekend in Yas for us in October.

scrubbedexpat141 May 2nd 2013 9:06 am

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 10688340)
Looks like a weekend in Yas for us in October.

See you there, Mrs' birthday a few days after that.

britexpat76 May 2nd 2013 9:10 am

I shall be there.

al dente May 2nd 2013 9:13 am

Saw her at New Year at Emirates Palace a few years ago. She was mardy and formulaic, didn't even do a countdown to midnight, just walked off stage. My husband would get under her umbrella anytime but said he just felt used. Which is probably what he had wanted, really, however, sadly this it was only his wallet that she was after.

Antithesis to Beyonce. Only went to Beyonce under duress but was blown away, whereas we had really been looking forward to Rihanna and it was average.

NorthernLad May 2nd 2013 9:14 am

Originally Posted by al dente (Post 10688351)
Saw her at New Year at Emirates Palace a few years ago. She was mardy and formulaic, didn't even do a countdown to midnight, just walked off stage. My husband would get under her umbrella anytime but said he just felt used. Which is probably what he had wanted, really, however, sadly this it was only his wallet that she was after.

Antithesis to Beyonce. Only went to Beyonce under duress but was blown away, whereas we had really been looking forward to Rihanna and it was average.

I'm willing to take the risk of being disappointed.

scrubbedexpat141 May 2nd 2013 9:42 am

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 10688352)
I'm willing to take the risk of being disappointed.

I just want to see her in the flesh.

In fact, I might even do golden circle so I can see her even closer.

The things I'd do...

britexpat76 May 2nd 2013 9:44 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10688404)
I just want to see her in the flesh.

In fact, I might even do golden circle so I can see her even closer.

The things I'd do...

I am with you on that.

mentalist May 2nd 2013 10:01 am

Yas Island hotel prices have already doubled for the night concerned, although Crowne Plaza are still offering only Dhs861 for two nights if you fancy paying in advance. Most others are circa Dhs1,200...

shiva May 2nd 2013 11:43 am

damn, cant make it, i'm already booked to puncture my eardrums with a corkscrew that night

Brains1983 May 2nd 2013 11:50 am

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 10688571)
damn, cant make it, i'm already booked to puncture my eardrums with a corkscrew that night

I'm with you on this, I really don't get the appeal.

scrubbedexpat141 May 2nd 2013 11:52 am

Originally Posted by Brains1983 (Post 10688580)

I want to look at her bottom. That's it.

Music isn't something I'd be that fussed about. I just want to look at her.

mentalist May 2nd 2013 11:53 am

Originally Posted by Brains1983 (Post 10688580)

Personally I would have gone if it was Adele but I agree that Rihanna is hardly a good singer. She succeeds on her looks and naughtiness, which probably won't come across too well on a big stage in a Muslim venue. I may be completely wrong, who knows? Also, Rihanna has an unfortunate habit of dropping out at the last minute through ill health or whatever.

OriginalSunshine May 2nd 2013 12:13 pm

speaking of which - is the boy wonder playing Dubai tonight, or a different night? or has he dropped out of that as well?

Robajob May 2nd 2013 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by mentalist (Post 10688217)

I think I'll pass. I'm hoping the proposed Sports City Rock Festival comes to fruition in October, with Soundgarden headlining.

Dubai - where you can catch up with all those bands you missed in the 90's because you were too drunk or skint to go and see them first time round.

OriginalSunshine May 2nd 2013 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by Robajob (Post 10688627)
I think I'll pass. I'm hoping the proposed Sports City Rock Festival comes to fruition in October, with Soundgarden headlining.

Dubai - where you can catch up with all those bands you missed in the 90's because you were too drunk or skint to go and see them first time round.

I got a gig with the local NUS magazine, reviewing bands in Manchester, in the 90s. Tough job, but someone had to do it :cool:

mentalist May 2nd 2013 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by Robajob (Post 10688627)

Did anybody catch the Happy Mondays the other weekend?

Equestra May 3rd 2013 5:14 am

Originally Posted by Millsyisland (Post 10688228)
Not sure that'll be in accordance with the moral and cultural values etc etc...

Unless she agrees to tone down.

Madonna didn't ........

al dente May 3rd 2013 10:38 am

Originally Posted by Equestra (Post 10689794)
Madonna didn't ........

On seeing her entrance on stage here, I commented that Rihanna and I were wearing the same underwear.. However, i'd had the foresight to put some clothes on top.

kittycat1 May 3rd 2013 11:50 am

The tickets seem to be going on sale very early for Dubai. Isn't it normally a oh shit we've booked the artist but forgot to sell the tickets type scenario? they are giving it a whole 6 months....arethey expecting it to take a while to sell thru?

Personally I would rather impale myself on a blunt object but get why all the pervs, I mean men would want to go along, i guess it would be an earplugs and kleenex gig- ewww.

Bahtatboy May 3rd 2013 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 10690214)
The tickets seem to be going on sale very early for Dubai. Isn't it normally a oh shit we've booked the artist but forgot to sell the tickets type scenario? they are giving it a whole 6 months....arethey expecting it to take a while to sell thru?

Personally I would rather impale myself on a blunt object but get why all the pervs, I mean men would want to go along, i guess it would be an earplugs and kleenex gig- ewww.

:blink::blink:

Irishbeekeeper May 4th 2013 7:47 am

Well imho more people go to 'see' her rather than 'listen' to her
not that I dont mind 'seeing' her either, I mean I would 'see' her like theres no tomorrow if I got a chance ;)
it was the same for beyonce as well, atleast she has an amazing voice, but then that picture from the superbowl came out and ....

britexpat76 May 5th 2013 7:43 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 10690554)
:blink::blink:

:rofl::rofl:

Poshy May 5th 2013 12:13 pm

I wish Maroon 5 would come here

jam25mack May 5th 2013 7:01 pm

Already booked. Get the entertainer and there is a 2 for 1 for some of the Yas hotels.

Sergio57 May 9th 2013 10:50 am

If you want a great deal on a hotel for the concert you should look at the Premier Inn website. They have a new hotel opening this summer at Abu Dhabi Airport - just 350AED for the Rihanna concert and only minutes from the venue. :)

mentalist May 9th 2013 11:30 am

Originally Posted by Poshy (Post 10692897)
I wish Maroon 5 would come here

Didn't they come about 12-18 months ago?

DOHDUBMAN May 9th 2013 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by mentalist (Post 10688434)
Yas Island hotel prices have already doubled for the night concerned, although Crowne Plaza are still offering only Dhs861 for two nights if you fancy paying in advance. Most others are circa Dhs1,200...

I was staying in Yas a few weeks ago when Metallica where playing and the hotel prices where insane. So bad my work put us up in the Centreo which is a shithole.

Incidently ill be back in AD in October when Rihanna is there so might go down to see what the fuss is all about

mentalist Jun 19th 2013 7:04 am

She is not exactly doing herself any favours judging by this article...
http://uk.omg.yahoo.com/gossip/the-j...074343381.html

DohaLady Jun 19th 2013 1:03 pm

fans were expecting Rihanna to arrive on stage at 8pm

It's been a while since I've been to a concert but I don't recall anyone coming on that early anyway, not even Westlife when I was 11.

mentalist Jul 11th 2013 7:37 am

She is at it again. Quite frankly I don't expect her to give Middle East audiences very much respect. Hardly her top priority.
http://uk.omg.yahoo.com/gossip/the-j...065303936.html

Bahtatboy Jul 11th 2013 10:14 am

Originally Posted by mentalist (Post 10794442)
She is at it again. Quite frankly I don't expect her to give Middle East audiences very much respect. Hardly her top priority.
http://uk.omg.yahoo.com/gossip/the-j...065303936.html

You're probably entirely right and you're comments entirely valid. Unfortunately (and I'm going to apologise twice: first for being shallow, and second, for quoting the Fail), but for this picture I could forgive her anything...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...n-concert.html

jam25mack Jul 11th 2013 10:18 am

See looks a lot like one of my ex's..... also she seems pretty mental so maybe they're related!

kittycat1 Jul 11th 2013 11:09 am

The more I read of her the more I get annoyed by her. And the fact you can't read a gossip column or a gutterrag without reading about her latest antics- why are people like this inflicted on us, what has happened to our press when carcrash lifestyles become entertainment. Yes she has a hot body, blah blah blah, and yes I would kill for a figure like hers- but she really is a complete *****. But more than that she is a ***** with an attitude. Stop giving her column inches. I'm hardly conservative but does she really have to flaunt it at every given opportunity, it gets a bit boring- same old, same old. Put some clothes on love! I think she would do well at Crazy Horse in Paris. Ah but then all the girls are naked and have beautiful bodies so i guess she would be nothing special then.... Why do people take young children to see her? I don't get it.

She seems so disrespectful to just about everyone including her fans as well as herself. How about not grinding against everything like a dog on heat - would make a refreshing change, oh and turning up on time.

Why do i keep clicking on this thread- it just winds me up. rant over.

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 11th 2013 11:10 am

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 10794790)
The more I read of her the more I get annoyed by her. And the fact you can't read a gossip column or a gutterrag without reading about her latest antics- why are people like this inflicted on us, what has happened to our press when carcrash lifestyles become entertainment. Yes she has a hot body, blah blah blah, and yes I would kill for a figure like hers- but she really is a complete *****. But more than that she is a ***** with an attitude. Stop giving her column inches. I'm hardly conservative but does she really have to flaunt it at every given opportunity, it gets a bit boring- same old, same old. Put some clothes on love! I think she would do well at Crazy Horse in Paris. Ah but then all the girls are naked and have beautiful bodies so i guess she would be nothing special then.... Why do people take young children to see her? I don't get it.

She seems so disrespectful to just about everyone including her fans as well as herself. How about not grinding against everything like a dog on heat - would make a refreshing change, oh and turning up on time.

Why do i keep clicking on this thread- it just winds me up. rant over.

All that to one side, I'd do unmentionable things to her.

kittycat1 Jul 11th 2013 11:19 am

Scamp exactly- shes a sex object- it's so sad that a girl whois meant to be a talented singer only gets any press because she behaves like trailertrash -and I must say reading the comments from (some of)the guys on this thread make me think about joining expatflange. You boys really are sad little ******s that are incapable of thinking without your dicks - it's like joining in a conversation with a bunch of guys and wishing you hadn't because your opinion of them has just gone down the toilet- shame on you all.

You know what- sod it- I've had enough- I'm off to expat flange.

(day 2 of not smoking) I may or maynot be back

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 11th 2013 11:41 am

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 10794818)
Scamp exactly- shes a sex object- it's so sad that a girl whois meant to be a talented singer only gets any press because she behaves like trailertrash -and I must say reading the comments from (some of)the guys on this thread make me think about joining expatflange. You boys really are sad little ******s that are incapable of not thinking without your dicks - it's like joining in a conversation with a bunch of guys and wishing you hadn't because your opinion of them has just gone down the toilet- shame on you all.

You know what- sod it- I've had enough- I'm off to expat flange.

(day 2 of not smoking) I may or maynot be back

Aww come on, I was only winding you up.

You should know by now that all the blokes on here are full of hot air, bullshit and bollocks (except me).

Does this help?

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/f/20...ay-d51jxyi.gif