Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Right you lot........ your best management skills please.......

Right you lot........ your best management skills please.......

Old Jul 16th 2013, 10:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Right you lot........ your best management skills please.......

I have my own ideas (although I have never before had to put them into practice) but how would YOU handle the issue of one member of a team (in a fairly small room) having a pretty severe body odour problem, and other team members refusing - yes, REFUSING - to work with him?

Is there a standard response to this? Are there cultural considerations (e.g. you handle it differently depending on his religion, nationality, etc)? Obviously I cannot ignore it and 'do nothing'.
Old Jul 16th 2013, 10:10 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Right you lot........ your best management skills please.......

this I think would be a matter for the HR Department
Old Jul 16th 2013, 10:11 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean View Post
I have my own ideas (although I have never before had to put them into practice) but how would YOU handle the issue of one member of a team (in a fairly small room) having a pretty severe body odour problem, and other team members refusing - yes, REFUSING - to work with him?

Is there a standard response to this? Are there cultural considerations (e.g. you handle it differently depending on his religion, nationality, etc)? Obviously I cannot ignore it and 'do nothing'.
Tell them straight up...'It's summer, and it's hot, just so as you are aware it's best to use deodarant to avoid stinking like a ****ing pig'
Old Jul 16th 2013, 10:14 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat View Post
this I think would be a matter for the HR Department
That is our official policy, I've had this situation with one of our guys. I don't think it's fair to involve the Human Remains as it can create paranoia with the employee.

I just said politely that its best that they start using deodorant when at work.
Old Jul 16th 2013, 10:19 am
Wannabe Cycling God

TheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NorthernLad View Post
That is our official policy, I've had this situation with one of our guys. I don't think it's fair to involve the Human Remains as it can create paranoia with the employee.

I just said politely that its best that they start using deodorant when at work.
What he said - if you involve HR the employee will feel that they have committed a proper offence and will go all panicky.
Old Jul 16th 2013, 10:23 am
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NorthernLad View Post

yep, a nice heart to heart conversation at the end of the day and make sure the person knows that whatever said is in full confidence so he/she wont get embarrassed by it.

I had the same issue a few years ago with a guy and I just gifted him a few deodorants and asked him to come to me if he needed some more (he wasnt paid that well I think) He took the hint, smiled and we never had a problem again. Bara bing bara boom!

HR are the scum of the earth and worse than the marketing guys
Old Jul 16th 2013, 10:39 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Have had this one, guy also had terrible breath.

Quick heart to heart keep hr out of it but make it clear that its not acceptable
Old Jul 16th 2013, 10:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

You're all assuming that this problem isn't in HR itself.........
Old Jul 16th 2013, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

You need to be upfront about it and have the conversation privately . If it's a new problem you could ask if there is any other problems and move in from there .

I've had this problem with people over the years along with people leaving the toilets in a shit state if you pardon the pun.

I'm always straight , polite and always show some empathy if theres a problem as people are usually very embarrassed and apologetic afterwards .

If that doesn't work then tell him to get a job as a taxi driver .
Old Jul 16th 2013, 11:04 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely in private, but just shirk the blame.

Tell them that other people have commented on it and you have to raise the issue.

He/she will be so paranoid that they'll never smell again.
Old Jul 16th 2013, 11:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Pongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond repute

Fart when in the room with him and ask what he thinks of the smell.....
Old Jul 16th 2013, 12:29 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

You're all assuming that this problem isn't in HR itself.........
There are always problems in hr

Seldom human, never a resource and about as resourceful as a new born baby.
Old Jul 16th 2013, 4:33 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

I have an air purifying deodorising filter in my office so I can have these exact same conversations in private, with the door closed, without retching.

"It's summer, it's hot, I know you don't have a driving licence and have to walk from the main gate to the office, but please bring a fresh shirt to change in to, and some deodorant to put on in the bathroom, once you arrive at the office. We have to maintain professional appearances whatever the weather."
Old Jul 16th 2013, 4:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Walk into the office, 'Oof someones a bit ripe" look around at everyone questioningly.

a bit later leave a can of deodorant on said persons desk with a post it note stuck saying 'please use stinkypants'.
Old Jul 16th 2013, 4:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hmmmm...... at least half of the responses have been sensible and constructive - more than I expected.

Thanks everyone - I have enough now to sort this out. I certainly will NOT involve HR, who would almost certainly want to record it as an 'incident' (or whatever) and leave it as a permanent record in his staff file................

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.