British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Right you lot........ your best management skills please....... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/right-you-lot-your-best-management-skills-please-803048/)

The Dean Jul 16th 2013 10:05 am

Right you lot........ your best management skills please.......

I have my own ideas (although I have never before had to put them into practice) but how would YOU handle the issue of one member of a team (in a fairly small room) having a pretty severe body odour problem, and other team members refusing - yes, REFUSING - to work with him?

Is there a standard response to this? Are there cultural considerations (e.g. you handle it differently depending on his religion, nationality, etc)? Obviously I cannot ignore it and 'do nothing'. :huh:

Blue Cat Jul 16th 2013 10:10 am

Re: Right you lot........ your best management skills please.......

this I think would be a matter for the HR Department :fingerscrossed:

NorthernLad Jul 16th 2013 10:11 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10802491)
I have my own ideas (although I have never before had to put them into practice) but how would YOU handle the issue of one member of a team (in a fairly small room) having a pretty severe body odour problem, and other team members refusing - yes, REFUSING - to work with him?

Is there a standard response to this? Are there cultural considerations (e.g. you handle it differently depending on his religion, nationality, etc)? Obviously I cannot ignore it and 'do nothing'. :huh:

Tell them straight up...'It's summer, and it's hot, just so as you are aware it's best to use deodarant to avoid stinking like a ****ing pig'

NorthernLad Jul 16th 2013 10:14 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 10802496)
this I think would be a matter for the HR Department :fingerscrossed:

That is our official policy, I've had this situation with one of our guys. I don't think it's fair to involve the Human Remains as it can create paranoia with the employee.

I just said politely that its best that they start using deodorant when at work.

TheShed Jul 16th 2013 10:19 am

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 10802502)
That is our official policy, I've had this situation with one of our guys. I don't think it's fair to involve the Human Remains as it can create paranoia with the employee.

I just said politely that its best that they start using deodorant when at work.

What he said - if you involve HR the employee will feel that they have committed a proper offence and will go all panicky.

Irishbeekeeper Jul 16th 2013 10:23 am

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 10802502)

yep, a nice heart to heart conversation at the end of the day and make sure the person knows that whatever said is in full confidence so he/she wont get embarrassed by it.

I had the same issue a few years ago with a guy and I just gifted him a few deodorants and asked him to come to me if he needed some more (he wasnt paid that well I think) He took the hint, smiled and we never had a problem again. Bara bing bara boom!

HR are the scum of the earth and worse than the marketing guys :rofl:

shiva Jul 16th 2013 10:39 am

Have had this one, guy also had terrible breath.

Quick heart to heart keep hr out of it but make it clear that its not acceptable

The Dean Jul 16th 2013 10:39 am

You're all assuming that this problem isn't in HR itself......... :rofl::rofl::rofl:

co durham boy Jul 16th 2013 10:45 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10802491)

You need to be upfront about it and have the conversation privately . If it's a new problem you could ask if there is any other problems and move in from there .

I've had this problem with people over the years along with people leaving the toilets in a shit state if you pardon the pun.

I'm always straight , polite and always show some empathy if theres a problem as people are usually very embarrassed and apologetic afterwards .

If that doesn't work then tell him to get a job as a taxi driver .

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 16th 2013 11:04 am

Definitely in private, but just shirk the blame.

Tell them that other people have commented on it and you have to raise the issue.

He/she will be so paranoid that they'll never smell again.

Pongo Jul 16th 2013 11:55 am

Fart when in the room with him and ask what he thinks of the smell.....

shiva Jul 16th 2013 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10802538)
You're all assuming that this problem isn't in HR itself......... :rofl::rofl::rofl:

There are always problems in hr

Seldom human, never a resource and about as resourceful as a new born baby.

OriginalSunshine Jul 16th 2013 4:33 pm

I have an air purifying deodorising filter in my office so I can have these exact same conversations in private, with the door closed, without retching.

"It's summer, it's hot, I know you don't have a driving licence and have to walk from the main gate to the office, but please bring a fresh shirt to change in to, and some deodorant to put on in the bathroom, once you arrive at the office. We have to maintain professional appearances whatever the weather."

kittycat1 Jul 16th 2013 4:38 pm

Walk into the office, 'Oof someones a bit ripe" look around at everyone questioningly.

a bit later leave a can of deodorant on said persons desk with a post it note stuck saying 'please use stinkypants'.

The Dean Jul 16th 2013 4:42 pm

Hmmmm...... at least half of the responses have been sensible and constructive - more than I expected.

Thanks everyone - I have enough now to sort this out. I certainly will NOT involve HR, who would almost certainly want to record it as an 'incident' (or whatever) and leave it as a permanent record in his staff file................ :thumbdown:

weasel decentral Jul 16th 2013 4:45 pm

Just tell him out straight and don't be embarrassed or awkward with him, it's a simple request. If I was stinking up the joint unaware I would appreciate if someone let me know the problem.

kittycat1 Jul 16th 2013 4:52 pm

am i the only person that has no idea how stinky people don't realise they are stinky? On the odd occasion I forget to put on deodorant I am sniffing my pits all day to make sure I'm not stinking out the office....

TheShed Jul 16th 2013 5:08 pm

OK so we have sorted out Deans department, now I have a similar issue. As Dean knows I run a professional sales team that goes out to visit very high value professional clients ( no I don't work for DeFear or Localeye or any of that lot, its B2B).

Anyways, the majority of my sales team are Muslim from various countries and its Ramadan. I have been conducting one on ones with the team members all week and ..... Well... Halitosis is far too polite a word for the gut wrenching stinks that I am literally faced with on an hourly basis.

How the hell do I deal with this? I can't exactly gift them a box of mints or high powered chewing gum at this time of year. Anyone know of something that can tidy hem up without it being offensive to their religion?

kittycat1 Jul 16th 2013 5:14 pm

Shed- sack them all?- give them office based jobs for the month?

Poshy Jul 16th 2013 5:17 pm

As Managers or whatever you both are supervising people ?...don't you already know how to or ever been taught what to say to people to deal with these situations ?

...hmmm.... clearly not or you wouldn't be asking.....

Just curious :zzz:

Just had a situation with my Housemaid......no other way to ask her not to walk around the house in her skimpy PJ's in front of my Husband and teenage son other than to tell her that PJ's of that nature are for sleeping in and that's its inappropriate to walk around like that in front of the men folk and to go and get changed or stay in her room.

I just KNOW that when me and the boys leave for the Uk next month she's going to try and bone my Husband !!!

You could apply some of that to sweaty pits and smelly breath ??? :eek:

kittycat1 Jul 16th 2013 5:19 pm

Poshy- oo are you going to install maidcams?

Poshy Jul 16th 2013 5:20 pm

No.... I actually don't care..............:eek:

TheShed Jul 16th 2013 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 10803284)
Shed- sack them all?- give them office based jobs for the month?

Interesting idea KC, but two small flaws.

1. If I sack them all someone like Scamps firm will charge me a fortune to replace them.

2. Our customers don't walk in off the street, we have to go and see them on a regular basis as our average sales cycle can be up to 12 months.

Thanks for the ideas though

TheShed Jul 16th 2013 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 10803291)
Poshy- oo are you going to install maidcams?

Don't pay for maid cams. Leave a laptop on some where unobtrusive but capturing the action. Use www.logmein.com and record the evidence

Is there a devil smiley somewhere?

weasel decentral Jul 16th 2013 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by Poshy (Post 10803287)
A
I just KNOW that when me and the boys leave for the Uk next month she's going to try and bone my Husband !!!

It is usually the male who bones, the boner so to speak, she will be the recipient of said bone, the bonee.

kittycat1 Jul 16th 2013 5:26 pm

:demon::demon::devil_smile::devil_smile:

Poshy Jul 16th 2013 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 10803306)
It is usually the males who bones, the boner so to speak, she will be the recipient of said bone, the bonee.

You obviously havn't seen my Housemaid :blink:

Poshy Jul 16th 2013 5:28 pm

I'm joking, shes a cute wee thing really, it's just the Moustache :blink:

weasel decentral Jul 16th 2013 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by TheShed (Post 10803280)
OK so we have sorted out Deans department, now I have a similar issue. As Dean knows I run a professional sales team that goes out to visit very high value professional clients ( no I don't work for DeFear or Localeye or any of that lot, its B2B).

Anyways, the majority of my sales team are Muslim from various countries and its Ramadan. I have been conducting one on ones with the team members all week and ..... Well... Halitosis is far too polite a word for the gut wrenching stinks that I am literally faced with on an hourly basis.

How the hell do I deal with this? I can't exactly gift them a box of mints or high powered chewing gum at this time of year. Anyone know of something that can tidy hem up without it being offensive to their religion?

I don't think having bad breath is mandatory as a muslim, but if your sales guys are visiting other muslim operated businesses perhaps there is no problem.

You might have to just tolerate it yourself personally, or have a non fasters deal with the other businesses.
I am working with plenty of muslim guys who don't fast.

weasel decentral Jul 16th 2013 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by Poshy (Post 10803312)

No I haven't but I was just introducing the correct boning terminology.

Or do you mean she has a penis?

Ethos83 Jul 16th 2013 5:31 pm

Why don't people make their maids dress like the maids back in the old days? Black uniform with a white apron. Problem solved.

My first director in Dubai had a similar problem. His wife's solution was to buy several sets of matching single coloured cotton shirts and capri trousers and told the maid that was what she had to wear around the house.

Poshy Jul 16th 2013 5:32 pm

ah you knew what I meant.............:)

TheShed Jul 16th 2013 5:33 pm

Years ago when my sons were about 16and 18 I think, my wife foolishly employed a slightly attractive younger Flip who would do the house work in skimpy tops and daisy duke style shorts. She did not work long for us especially after I had to go and bail her from a police station for apparently providing entertainment somewhere in Bur Dubai and with some serious favours called in, got h on a plane within 3 hours.

Mrs Shed learnt her lesson and employed some of the biggest and ugliest women I have ever seen. House was always so much cleaner after that :-S.

God I use have had too many beers as I sound like an EW veteran.

Taxi for one please?

The Dean Jul 16th 2013 5:34 pm

Sorry............ am I reading this correctly? Bad breath, BO, etc.......... these are Ramadan-related issues??? :confused:

I must admit I never noticed my colleague's problem before this week, but.............. er............ :unsure:

TheShed Jul 16th 2013 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by Ethos83 (Post 10803322)
Why don't people make their maids dress like the maids back in the old days? Black uniform with a white apron. Problem solved.

My first director in Dubai had a similar problem. His wife's solution was to buy several sets of matching single coloured cotton shirts and capri trousers and told the maid that was what she had to wear around the house.

Classic maids uniform? Are you TRYING to incite trouble in the household :-).

I feel a new business venture coming on. To shops for maids clothing, one where the hubby chooses and one where the boss chooses; there will never be duplication of stock.

TheShed Jul 16th 2013 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10803331)
Sorry............ am I reading this correctly? Bad breath, BO, etc.......... these are Ramadan-related issues??? :confused:

I must admit I never noticed my colleague's problem before this week, but.............. er............ :unsure:

Bad breath, lack of food - Ramadan problem.

BO - all year round issue for some.

Poshy Jul 16th 2013 5:38 pm

It's not a problem now....dealt with...

...shes generally very smart, I did ask her if she would like a uniform, she said she preferred her own clothes........thought hmmmmm, well we'll see.....

Anyway, her clothes are very neat and tidy unlike some scruffy dirty looking buggers I have seen herding kids into School....

I bought her the little pj's today and lots of other clothes after I noticed she was sleeping in her t shirts....poor little thing....she arrived with the tiniest suitcase.......:(

The Dean Jul 16th 2013 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by Poshy (Post 10803342)

...shes generally very smart, I did ask her if she would like a uniform, she said she preferred her own clothes........thought hmmmmm, well we'll see.....

Anyway, her clothes are very neat and tidy unlike some scruffy dirty looking buggers I have seen herding kids into School....

I bought her the little pj's today and lots of other clothes after I noticed she was sleeping in her t shirts....poor little thing....she arrived with the tiniest suitcase.......:(

And to compensate her for her poverty-stricken upbringing and lifestyle at home, you are paying her roughly....... what? Double the going rate?

TheShed Jul 16th 2013 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by Poshy (Post 10803342)

Mods, can we move this thread to EW now, I am sure that they will have lots of advice for Poshy, My money is on 20 pages within 30 hours.

Poshy Jul 16th 2013 5:41 pm

haha...sorry, I do rattle on ..............x