British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Right you lot........ your best management skills please....... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/right-you-lot-your-best-management-skills-please-803048/)

The Dean Jul 16th 2013 10:05 am

Right you lot........ your best management skills please.......

I have my own ideas (although I have never before had to put them into practice) but how would YOU handle the issue of one member of a team (in a fairly small room) having a pretty severe body odour problem, and other team members refusing - yes, REFUSING - to work with him?

Is there a standard response to this? Are there cultural considerations (e.g. you handle it differently depending on his religion, nationality, etc)? Obviously I cannot ignore it and 'do nothing'. :huh:

Blue Cat Jul 16th 2013 10:10 am

Re: Right you lot........ your best management skills please.......

this I think would be a matter for the HR Department :fingerscrossed:

NorthernLad Jul 16th 2013 10:11 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10802491)
I have my own ideas (although I have never before had to put them into practice) but how would YOU handle the issue of one member of a team (in a fairly small room) having a pretty severe body odour problem, and other team members refusing - yes, REFUSING - to work with him?

Is there a standard response to this? Are there cultural considerations (e.g. you handle it differently depending on his religion, nationality, etc)? Obviously I cannot ignore it and 'do nothing'. :huh:

Tell them straight up...'It's summer, and it's hot, just so as you are aware it's best to use deodarant to avoid stinking like a ****ing pig'

NorthernLad Jul 16th 2013 10:14 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 10802496)
this I think would be a matter for the HR Department :fingerscrossed:

That is our official policy, I've had this situation with one of our guys. I don't think it's fair to involve the Human Remains as it can create paranoia with the employee.

I just said politely that its best that they start using deodorant when at work.

TheShed Jul 16th 2013 10:19 am

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 10802502)
That is our official policy, I've had this situation with one of our guys. I don't think it's fair to involve the Human Remains as it can create paranoia with the employee.

I just said politely that its best that they start using deodorant when at work.

What he said - if you involve HR the employee will feel that they have committed a proper offence and will go all panicky.

Irishbeekeeper Jul 16th 2013 10:23 am

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 10802502)

yep, a nice heart to heart conversation at the end of the day and make sure the person knows that whatever said is in full confidence so he/she wont get embarrassed by it.

I had the same issue a few years ago with a guy and I just gifted him a few deodorants and asked him to come to me if he needed some more (he wasnt paid that well I think) He took the hint, smiled and we never had a problem again. Bara bing bara boom!

HR are the scum of the earth and worse than the marketing guys :rofl:

shiva Jul 16th 2013 10:39 am

Have had this one, guy also had terrible breath.

Quick heart to heart keep hr out of it but make it clear that its not acceptable

The Dean Jul 16th 2013 10:39 am

You're all assuming that this problem isn't in HR itself......... :rofl::rofl::rofl:

co durham boy Jul 16th 2013 10:45 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10802491)

You need to be upfront about it and have the conversation privately . If it's a new problem you could ask if there is any other problems and move in from there .

I've had this problem with people over the years along with people leaving the toilets in a shit state if you pardon the pun.

I'm always straight , polite and always show some empathy if theres a problem as people are usually very embarrassed and apologetic afterwards .

If that doesn't work then tell him to get a job as a taxi driver .

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 16th 2013 11:04 am

Definitely in private, but just shirk the blame.

Tell them that other people have commented on it and you have to raise the issue.

He/she will be so paranoid that they'll never smell again.

Pongo Jul 16th 2013 11:55 am

Fart when in the room with him and ask what he thinks of the smell.....

shiva Jul 16th 2013 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10802538)
You're all assuming that this problem isn't in HR itself......... :rofl::rofl::rofl:

There are always problems in hr

Seldom human, never a resource and about as resourceful as a new born baby.

OriginalSunshine Jul 16th 2013 4:33 pm

I have an air purifying deodorising filter in my office so I can have these exact same conversations in private, with the door closed, without retching.

"It's summer, it's hot, I know you don't have a driving licence and have to walk from the main gate to the office, but please bring a fresh shirt to change in to, and some deodorant to put on in the bathroom, once you arrive at the office. We have to maintain professional appearances whatever the weather."

kittycat1 Jul 16th 2013 4:38 pm

Walk into the office, 'Oof someones a bit ripe" look around at everyone questioningly.

a bit later leave a can of deodorant on said persons desk with a post it note stuck saying 'please use stinkypants'.

The Dean Jul 16th 2013 4:42 pm

Hmmmm...... at least half of the responses have been sensible and constructive - more than I expected.

Thanks everyone - I have enough now to sort this out. I certainly will NOT involve HR, who would almost certainly want to record it as an 'incident' (or whatever) and leave it as a permanent record in his staff file................ :thumbdown: