Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Ricky Gervais writes........

Ricky Gervais writes........

Old Nov 13th 2012, 10:36 am
Just Joined

loobie85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Ricky Gervais writes........

Shiva I get where your coming from, sometimes faith doesn't appear reasonable. For me personally I have had personal experiences that have strengthened my beliefs and i hope I always will keep trusting. I am open to the possibility that I am wrong and am certainly not going to preach about what to believe or not believe but neither will I be ashamed to admit that i do trust in God. Reasonable faith to me has come from weighing up both sides of the arguments...I have not outlined all my reasons on this forum as it I would be here a long time but I am happy with my decision and respect yours
Old Nov 13th 2012, 10:43 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by loobie85
Shiva I get where your coming from, sometimes faith doesn't appear reasonable. For me personally I have had personal experiences that have strengthened my beliefs and i hope I always will keep trusting. I am open to the possibility that I am wrong and am certainly not going to preach about what to believe or not believe but neither will I be ashamed to admit that i do trust in God. Reasonable faith to me has come from weighing up both sides of the arguments...I have not outlined all my reasons on this forum as it I would be here a long time but I am happy with my decision and respect yours
You're probably the perfect example of what religion should be like, look like, sound like and act like.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 11:31 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Shiva I get where your coming from, sometimes faith doesn't appear reasonable. For me personally I have had personal experiences that have strengthened my belief
"When we are dealing with people, let us remember we are not dealing with creatures of logic. We are dealing with creatures of emotion, creatures bursting with prejudices and motivated by pride and vanity."
--Dale Carnegie
Old Nov 13th 2012, 12:38 pm
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
If you believe in a god, then who created him/her/it?
when you believe in God you automatically show faith in its entirety and part of that faith is not questioning where He came from or who made Him

but I agree with what Ricky said, if you need a stick to tell you right from wrong then there is something inherently wrong with you

I believe in God but I dont go chasing atheists, they lead their life and I, mine...got too much shnizzle going on anyway to get into more
Old Nov 13th 2012, 12:49 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper
when you believe in God you automatically show faith in its entirety and part of that faith is not questioning where He came from or who made Him

but I agree with what Ricky said, if you need a stick to tell you right from wrong then there is something inherently wrong with you

I believe in God but I dont go chasing atheists, they lead their life and I, mine...got too much shnizzle going on anyway to get into more
Unquestioning? That makes no sense to me at all.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 12:55 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

I think that's part of the point: to some people it does make sense, and some it doesn't.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 1:01 pm
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

sure why not
isnt that the true meaning of faith
im not professing it mind you, i was just making a statement based on my own opinions and experiences
Old Nov 13th 2012, 2:02 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Scamp
Old Nov 14th 2012, 8:31 am
Gold-Helmeted Member

captainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya in response to the" who created the creator" I believe in a God that is an eternal, self-existent Being (the uncaused first cause)[/url]
Religionists like to argue that the universe cannot simply 'be', it must have had some start point. Because everything has to have had some start point.

And then in the next breath, they tell you that their god is eternal as had no cause or creator or start point.

Yawn.

Logical discourse is pointless with people who resort to exceptions for the very rules they use to test everybody else's arguments.

If it is possible for existence to be eternal, why is it impossible for the universe (or multiverse)?

Last edited by captainflack; Nov 14th 2012 at 8:34 am.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 8:42 am
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

It's a great documentary.
Old Nov 15th 2012, 12:57 am
Just Joined

Big_Bang is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank God for Ricky Gervais ...
Old Nov 16th 2012, 1:56 pm
Just Joined

Captain flack, I see why at first sight this looks like double standards but when examined deeper for me I can see the logic...It took me a while to understand it but now I can see why philosophy and Science have supported this notion. William Lane Craig makes good sense of it, if your interested in the reasons why some believe it is possible for existence to be eternal, but impossible for the universe (or multiverse). The link is below if your interested.
http://www.reasonablefaith.org/the-e...f-the-universe
Old Nov 18th 2012, 12:48 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Ricky Gervais writes........

I think belief and non-belief are very extreme points of view. In my view to be an atheist all you need to think is that on balance the probability of there being a god is outweighed by the probability there is no god. To me god just seems an improbable explanation for...everything, evidence is more circumstantial than conclusive.

That said it's something I still contemplate with a nice single malt whiskey from time to time. I'm open to new conjecture or evidence on the matter, it's just that I'm constantly forced to table the final decision by a lack of conclusive evidence either way.
Old Nov 18th 2012, 8:38 pm
Just Joined

Haha I know what you mean. I am not overly religious but I believe in God...sometimes both extremes seem difficult to take in and decide over definitively. I live in France and still contemplate the truth over a glass of red, or whiskey! I guess one day it will be clear