British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Rich beggers (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/rich-beggers-801692/)

Millhouse Jul 2nd 2013 4:49 am

Rich beggers

Men in luxury cars ask Dubai pedestrians for petrol money

http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/ge...oney-1.1203633

I actually had this happen to me about three weeks ago. He was from Qatar and was driving a landcruiser and he pulled up next to me at the Global Village Emarat.

Being the charitable person that I am, I told him to f-off. He then proceeded to drive around the petrol station asking everyone.

weasel decentral Jul 2nd 2013 4:52 am

Re: Rich beggers

Beggars

Had it happen in KSA once where petrol is almost free, similarly told him to **** off.

flares Jul 2nd 2013 4:53 am

That GMC looks like a Saudi special.

Millhouse Jul 2nd 2013 4:59 am

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 10780828)
Beggars

Had it happen in KSA once where petrol is almost free, similarly told him to **** off.

Buggers, Beggars, Burgers. Call me BusyBee

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 2nd 2013 5:32 am

Those asking for funds were spotted in top-end cars such as a Bentley, Chrysler 300 and Ford Explorer.
**** it. My car is a top-end Exploder, I'm gonna start begging.

Brains1983 Jul 2nd 2013 6:54 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10780860)
**** it. My car is a top-end Exploder, I'm gonna start begging.

You wont need to beg, surely people already offer sympathy money?

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 2nd 2013 7:05 am

Originally Posted by Brains1983 (Post 10780908)
You wont need to beg, surely people already offer sympathy money?

I wish mate.

I had to threaten to fill up my own fuel the other day to get one of the attendants to ****ing do something. Bearing in mind one of the things I liked about the Exploder is that it's a right-hand-side petrol cap so queues are minimal it took me 23 minutes to get fuel. There were two at the pumps and then one other+me waiting.

I got out and tried to do my own and the bloke snatched it off me and said wait two minutes. I got back in the motor and he just stood around counting his money and doing **** all.

I'd genuinely rather fill my own.

martinbkk Jul 2nd 2013 8:35 am

I don't get what it is with all these queues at petrol stations. Seems to be all over this part of the world and I hardly see such things anywhere else. Anybody would think it's rationed here or some such.

Millhouse Jul 2nd 2013 8:45 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10780917)
I'd genuinely rather fill my own.

Why don't you then? I often do and it's no problem. Me thinks you don't...

britexpat76 Jul 2nd 2013 8:48 am

Originally Posted by martinbkk (Post 10780994)
I don't get what it is with all these queues at petrol stations. Seems to be all over this part of the world and I hardly see such things anywhere else. Anybody would think it's rationed here or some such.

Something to do with the fact there is only a dozen or so petrol stations in Doha.

Brains1983 Jul 2nd 2013 8:48 am

Originally Posted by martinbkk (Post 10780994)

worst I have seen is in Luanda. often over a hundred cars.

martinbkk Jul 2nd 2013 8:57 am

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 10781004)
Something to do with the fact there is only a dozen or so petrol stations in Doha.

Sounds like somebody's missing a trick then. Okay so petrol is not exactly an excellent profit centre I suppose but a station with 'facilities' could be quite a good business. Given the general sense of impatience it seems curious that spending time in a petrol queue is almost normal.

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 2nd 2013 9:21 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10781001)
Why don't you then? I often do and it's no problem. Me thinks you don't...

I tried and he took it off me and told me to wait.

That may have had something to do with me swearing at him for being a useless fat ****, but he still wouldn't let me.

Myusernamewastaken Jul 2nd 2013 10:05 am

From the comments section in the article.

Recently, it happened to me when I was coming out from Fruit & Vegetable Market on 25th June, 2013. A Saudi national driving 4x4 full option down my building requested me to stop. I was having the feeling that he might have lost the way but he asked me that he is out of money and if I can help him. I gave him 200AED usman, sharjah, United Arab Emirates
What....?!

busybee2 Jul 2nd 2013 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10780836)
Buggers, Beggars, Burgers. Call me BusyBee

why?