Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Revealed: Best countries for expats to live and work

Revealed: Best countries for expats to live and work

Old Sep 7th 2019, 2:21 pm
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Revealed: Best countries for expats to live and work

From The Telegraph: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/expat/li...uk-languishes/

"The UK ranks 58th out of 64 countries (seventh from bottom) this year, as the country continues to struggle to impress its expat population. A combination of political instability thanks to Brexit, bad weather and unfriendly locals were commonly cited problems by expats."

Anyone heard from scot47 recently?
Old Sep 8th 2019, 3:55 am
Forum Regular

SandyMcSand is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Revealed: Best countries for expats to live and work

Sounds about right.
Old Sep 8th 2019, 6:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SandyMcSand
Sounds about right.
I think the UK (specifically London anyway) would be great for an expat. The rest of the country would be awful. I've had a couple of friends recently go there as expats and they are having a great time.
Old Sep 9th 2019, 5:19 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I think the UK (specifically London anyway) would be great for an expat. The rest of the country would be awful. I've had a couple of friends recently go there as expats and they are having a great time.
Free schools, free hopsitals, probably get a passport within a few years, lots of pretty places to live, one of the biggest and most popular cities in the world as the capital - which is accessible within hours from the ENTIRE country, easy access to Europe and North America.....it's very attractive.

**** it, I might move home.
Old Sep 9th 2019, 6:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Free schools, free hopsitals, probably get a passport within a few years, lots of pretty places to live, one of the biggest and most popular cities in the world as the capital - which is accessible within hours from the ENTIRE country, easy access to Europe and North America.....it's very attractive.

**** it, I might move home.
Good work too.

Old Sep 9th 2019, 6:41 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Good work too.
Yeah, definitely. Our London head office are as useful as a kick in the nuts. Ask someone for something and if it falls 0.1mm outside the 30cm ruler of their job description, you're lucky to get a reply, let alone be told to **** off and it's not their problem.

I want to move back so I can start saying 'no' to things.
Old Sep 11th 2019, 9:42 am
Gold-Helmeted Member

captainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond repute

Taiwan number one on the list, I spent couple of years there in the 90s and Taipei is probably the most fun city anywhere in the world.

Now in Portugal, number three on the list, and number one for quality of life. Free healthcare (and decent two as I've had personal experience couple of times with family), free schools, great weather, beaches, countryside, food, lovely friendly people, nice looking people too.

My mrs went to the beach one day with an Iranian friend who was visiting, and they bumped into the president of the republic and got a selfie with him. He's a popular guy who goes out in public with little if any security, and as far as I know, none of his daughters or wives have ever tried to flee the country from him.
Old Sep 11th 2019, 2:14 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by captainflack
Taiwan number one on the list, I spent couple of years there in the 90s and Taipei is probably the most fun city anywhere in the world.

Now in Portugal, number three on the list, and number one for quality of life. Free healthcare (and decent two as I've had personal experience couple of times with family), free schools, great weather, beaches, countryside, food, lovely friendly people, nice looking people too.

My mrs went to the beach one day with an Iranian friend who was visiting, and they bumped into the president of the republic and got a selfie with him. He's a popular guy who goes out in public with little if any security, and as far as I know, none of his daughters or wives have ever tried to flee the country from him.
Agreed on Taiwan. I had my best expat experience there in 2002-3 working the the THSR project, made some good friends. The only thing I didn't like was the earthquakes.
Old Sep 11th 2019, 2:53 pm
home

Forsu is a splendid one to beholdForsu is a splendid one to beholdForsu is a splendid one to beholdForsu is a splendid one to beholdForsu is a splendid one to beholdForsu is a splendid one to beholdForsu is a splendid one to beholdForsu is a splendid one to beholdForsu is a splendid one to beholdForsu is a splendid one to beholdForsu is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by captainflack
Viva Portugal
Old Sep 11th 2019, 4:19 pm
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Forsu
Viva Portugal
Great tax breaks for expats too under the Non-habitual Residency Scheme. Non-Portugese earnings, including overseas pension income*, are tax-free for 10 years!

*Except some UK Government Pensions

https://www.blevinsfranks.com/system...uide-jan19.pdf
Old Sep 12th 2019, 12:22 am
home

Forsu is a splendid one to beholdForsu is a splendid one to beholdForsu is a splendid one to beholdForsu is a splendid one to beholdForsu is a splendid one to beholdForsu is a splendid one to beholdForsu is a splendid one to beholdForsu is a splendid one to beholdForsu is a splendid one to beholdForsu is a splendid one to beholdForsu is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Johnnyboy11
Great tax breaks for expats too under the Non-habitual Residency Scheme. Non-Portugese earnings, including overseas pension income*, are tax-free for 10 years!

*Except some UK Government Pensions

https://www.blevinsfranks.com/system...uide-jan19.pdf
Thanks
Old Sep 12th 2019, 4:16 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
Agreed on Taiwan. I had my best expat experience there in 2002-3 working the the THSR project, made some good friends. The only thing I didn't like was the earthquakes.
Planning a long weekend in Taipei. Desperate to see 101 and spend a weekend exploring.
Old Sep 17th 2019, 3:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

HiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond repute

The reason is, its so difficult to get a working visa UK companies don't bother. Unless your a Swiss born astrophysicist nobody is going to wade though the paperwork to get you a visa. The problem with Swiss born astrophysicist is cause, they have higher exceptions, than your average expat grunt engineer.
Old Sep 18th 2019, 10:34 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Planning a long weekend in Taipei. Desperate to see 101 and spend a weekend exploring.
They were building 101 when I was out there.

Just heard from a mate who works out there that they've just approved extensions for the High Speed Rail.. tempting!
Old Sep 18th 2019, 10:59 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
They were building 101 when I was out there.

Just heard from a mate who works out there that they've just approved extensions for the High Speed Rail.. tempting!
THSR is another reason I want to go and visit. I ****ing love a train.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.