British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Retarded Airline (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/retarded-airline-749161/)

Trytoby Feb 21st 2012 5:40 am

Retarded Airline

Has anyone ever experienced this before, and if so found a way around it?

I am attempting to book a flight on Emirates for my GF, she is returning from the UK on one flight and then going back a few months later on another with me. I intend to book it with my Skywards Credit Card to take advantage of the various offers they have and I have tried both the call centre and the website.

When attempting to book online, using her name the default setting on the Credit Card details is her name, and that is unchageable.

Emirates claim, that through no fault of their own, it is not possible for me to book a flight online using my credit card for her, nor can I do it over the phone. Instead, I would have to go into one of their centres and pay. If it was as simple as that I would not mind, but they want to charge an extra 370aed for the pleasure of being more inconvenient.

Naturally I checked with the various UK airports online with regards to flying when a third party has paid for your flight on a credit card and there does not seem to be a jot of information on it.

Any thoughts other than the usual DXB rubbish?

Thanks

Gus Honeybun Feb 21st 2012 5:53 am

Re: Retarded Airline

I faced the same problem booking EK for my wife using my NBD card. It was not accepted. PAX name and CC name must match, apparently. So I marched off to my branch and filled in the form for a second card - received in a week by DHL - with a credit limit of just AED 6k, enough for a ticket. I know this breaks rule # 1, but needs must........

Meow Feb 21st 2012 6:00 am

Originally Posted by Trytoby (Post 9912422)
Has anyone ever experienced this before, and if so found a way around it?

I am attempting to book a flight on Emirates for my GF, she is returning from the UK on one flight and then going back a few months later on another with me. I intend to book it with my Skywards Credit Card to take advantage of the various offers they have and I have tried both the call centre and the website.

When attempting to book online, using her name the default setting on the Credit Card details is her name, and that is unchageable.

Emirates claim, that through no fault of their own, it is not possible for me to book a flight online using my credit card for her, nor can I do it over the phone. Instead, I would have to go into one of their centres and pay. If it was as simple as that I would not mind, but they want to charge an extra 370aed for the pleasure of being more inconvenient.

Naturally I checked with the various UK airports online with regards to flying when a third party has paid for your flight on a credit card and there does not seem to be a jot of information on it.

Any thoughts other than the usual DXB rubbish?

Thanks

As far as I am aware this is the case with most airlines. A CC must be in the same name as one of the passengers. The reason is largely to stop fraudulent card use.

Tockalosh Feb 21st 2012 6:14 am

No problems at all with KLM or Etihad doing this

Big problems with Qatar who refused to honour the ticket even though I had sent a copy of my passport and CC to the inlaws to take with them (this is what Qatar had requested)

Had to hurrily draft a letter to Qatar Airways saying I had authorized the use of the card and email it to the UK for them to allow the ticket to be used

Millhouse Feb 21st 2012 6:17 am

I had this issue when sending the maid home on Etihad... rich mans problems huh.

It was OK in the end - just needed to show up at checkin with the credit card to prove that she wasn't a thieving bitch.

scrubbedexpat141 Feb 21st 2012 6:18 am

Emirates are the only one that I've had this issue with.

Virgin offer a bit where you can pay for someone else, I even booked flights with Fly Dubai for mates on my local CC because they couldn't use a UK one for some daft reason.

It's ridiculous.

rowell Feb 21st 2012 6:26 am

Have the problem with Emirates every time I book for my grandson to come, always end up going to Emirtaes Offices and end up most times but not always paying the 5% discount you get for booking on line.

Meow Feb 21st 2012 6:34 am

Originally Posted by rowell (Post 9912463)
Have the problem with Emirates every time I book for my grandson to come, always end up going to Emirtaes Offices and end up most times but not always paying the 5% discount you get for booking on line.

That seems inconsistent and rather unfair. If I get a chance I'll speak to their PR people about it as this isn't why they have the restriction. There must be a way around it, without paying extra.

Trytoby Feb 21st 2012 6:39 am

I was considering moving higher up the food chain too.

To me it is obvious, if I am booking a flight for someone in over 3 months time, the chances of fraudulent activity are slim. There is too much time delay for any fraud not to be noticed, and who is going to commit a fraud and then turn up at an airport with their passport? Especially as I am happy to provide whatever documentation is neccessary too.

Meow Feb 21st 2012 6:58 am

I am emailing my contacts now

The Dean Feb 21st 2012 7:39 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 9912485)
I am emailing my contacts now

Let me know how you get on............. I have had the same issue with EK over my (unaccompanied minor) niece. No other airline in my experience has this obstacle.

Meow Feb 21st 2012 7:46 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 9912535)
Let me know how you get on............. I have had the same issue with EK over my (unaccompanied minor) niece. No other airline in my experience has this obstacle.

I'll post here in due course when I hear back from the regional PR Manager. I've pointed out that it's an unfair policy when purchasing tickets for minors, so I am hoping they'll come up with a proper solution.

Trytoby Feb 21st 2012 8:51 am

I guess I am going to have to bite the bullet!

The one thing I have discovered is that for NBD CC holders there is a phone number you can call and book through, and use your CC, they just happen to charge the premium too, even with a 5% discount. It at least saves the trip to the Emirates offices...........

OriginalSunshine Feb 21st 2012 2:53 pm

I use OmanAir regularly for this reason. They are fine with people buying tickets for other people (parents, in-laws, maids, other family, friends). There's a load of paperwork you have to fill in (forms to say you're fine with it, copies of ID, passports etc to be mailed to the office, and the person travelling should also carry all the paperwork as paperwork as well, but it's not a big hassle.

Of course you would need to transit via Muscat, but that's not a big issue either.

Oyibopeppeh Feb 21st 2012 3:13 pm

QR are reasonably CC friendly when the traveler is not the CC holder.