Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Restaurants told to comply with alcohol law...

Restaurants told to comply with alcohol law...

Old Jun 22nd 2011, 5:03 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Restaurants told to comply with alcohol law...

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
Seems Dubai wants to be an international tourist hub but is also increasingly more and more Islamic. Those are not good combinations really...

N.
Inevitable though, huge bust caused by greed leads to blaming of western ideals so revert to form and **** up the only real source of govt income by killing the tourist trade leading to less money and more reversion to form ad infinitum
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 5:33 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva
Inevitable though, huge bust caused by greed leads to blaming of western ideals so revert to form and **** up the only real source of govt income by killing the tourist trade leading to less money and more reversion to form ad infinitum
True.

I get that feeling from some of the locals (I stress some) in Dubai - all the evils of the West are to blame (well aside from all the technology, cars, medicine, aircon etc of course!). They want the benefits of a culture without at least adopting some of the values of that culture and it's clearly not going to work.

Other cultures are able to adapt themselves when new ideas come along and still remain distinct (India, China and Japan come to mind) but here, at least in some parts they seem to want to cling to pre-medieval ideas and live in the 21st century at the same time.

It's very frustrating to see for many progressive minded locals for sure.

N.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 5:57 am
BE Forum Addict

jackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of light

True.

I get that feeling from some of the locals (I stress some) in Dubai - all the evils of the West are to blame (well aside from all the technology, cars, medicine, aircon etc of course!). They want the benefits of a culture without at least adopting some of the values of that culture and it's clearly not going to work.

Other cultures are able to adapt themselves when new ideas come along and still remain distinct (India, China and Japan come to mind) but here, at least in some parts they seem to want to cling to pre-medieval ideas and live in the 21st century at the same time.

It's very frustrating to see for many progressive minded locals for sure.

N.
I have heard the same too! I have a chat with an Emirati lawyer friend of mine each week (He likes to pop-in for a G&T). He is in Semi-Retirement, and tells me about what Dubai and Sharjah were like in the 1960s. It makes the Dubai of today look very tame indeed.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 5:59 am
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
http://www.thenational.ae/business/r...th-alcohol-law

I am not sure how this would work. How will restaurants be able to serve drinks
quickly and efficiently if they cannot display or store drinks on view??
What about places like Jambase or the Agency at the Madinat how on earth are they going to comply with this??
Totally stupid!!! Whats the betting that this law gets reversed within the next day or too..bit like the "seperate kitchen for pork" thing a while back!!
I wonder if that would apply to the Dubai Marina Yacht Club as it was taken over by The Address Hotel and is separate from the nearest Address Hotel (Marina Mall). It was the original members that allowed the Club to get its alcohol licence...and we paid AED25,000 a year..then they let anyone in!
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 6:03 am
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.thenational.ae/news/uae-n...old-court-told

If it's a country that charges its teenage female tourists of being guilty of consensual sex, not being raped, because they think about sex, it's capable of anything.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 7:23 am
Forum Regular

paca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nice

Why cant they just do what the TV programs do.... Cover it with gaffer tape... or some kind of T-cozy
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 7:54 am
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paca
Why cant they just do what the TV programs do.... Cover it with gaffer tape... or some kind of T-cozy
or bottle burqa
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

paca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nice

Originally Posted by al dente
or bottle burqa

get to Dragons den
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 7:58 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

obviously Ramadan is around the corner
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 8:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm. A sort of tea cozy for booze? And what about a decanter of gin?
"No,no! It's water!" (fire-water, mind...)
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

Elmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud of

Seems Dubai wants to be an international tourist hub but is also increasingly more and more Islamic. Those are not good combinations really...

N.
Another thing I need to get my head around before arriving - no holding hands in public is not going to attract the honeymooners! Most people I know like to walk hand in hand together, as do some of my straight friends
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 11:43 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elmer Fudd
Another thing I need to get my head around before arriving - no holding hands in public is not going to attract the honeymooners! Most people I know like to walk hand in hand together, as do some of my straight friends
Abu Dhabi's fairly relaxed about genuine couples holding hands, as well--of course--about two heterosexual men doing so.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

Elmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Abu Dhabi's fairly relaxed about genuine couples holding hands, as well--of course--about two heterosexual men doing so.
Hmm, I will bear that in mind if I ever want to hold your hand Is Dubai as equally relaxed, or do I need to carry a "we are a genuine couple holding hands" permit?
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 12:33 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elmer Fudd
Hmm, I will bear that in mind if I ever want to hold your hand Is Dubai as equally relaxed, or do I need to carry a "we are a genuine couple holding hands" permit?
There's no law against holding hands with your spouse in public. Just don't grope them or shove your tongue down their throat. A good rule for anywhere I reckon.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Meow
There's no law against holding hands with your spouse in public. Just don't grope them or shove your tongue down their throat. A good rule for anywhere I reckon.
Thanks Meow, I have been wondering about the rule on hand holding in public for ages - Kittycat's avatar led me to believe that this is treated very strictly by the locals, Also, I was watching a clip on a travel show, where a UK woman was held in custody for 2 days for not being modestly dressed in a mall - her accuser was a local lady dressed in full veil etc -are such incidents a rarity?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.