Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

RERA cancels 202 projects.............

RERA cancels 202 projects.............

Old Dec 15th 2010, 1:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default RERA cancels 202 projects.............

Mods, please move this thread to the "Astonishing and Surprising News" forum........

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/dubai...ed-367414.html
Old Dec 15th 2010, 4:31 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: RERA cancels 202 projects.............

I can still get 12% yield on rental properties? Whoa, baby, sign me up! Where do I buy?

Originally Posted by The Dean
Mods, please move this thread to the "Astonishing and Surprising News" forum........

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/dubai...ed-367414.html
Old Dec 15th 2010, 4:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83
I can still get 12% yield on rental properties? Whoa, baby, sign me up! Where do I buy?
The article says, buyers can expect a 12% yield.

I would 'expect' a 12% yield on property in Dubai. Sadly I suspect it is somewhat lower once management fees and outs are taken into account. Then we have asset depreciation...
Old Dec 15th 2010, 5:04 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Since I have a boring day at the office with only three employee reviews to conduct (ugh, a waste of time), I took the liberty of doing a quick search for properties for sale in the Greens and comparing with current rental prices.

Pretty much everything is renting at 8% of the asking prices of similar properties for sale. This is an established, popular community with fairly quick turnover in tenants (assuming rents are priced reasonably).

Hmm. Not bad. Even with the management fees you are probably still looking at 5-6% annual return.

The caveat is that prices are still declining, both for rent and for sale. Increasing glut will tamper the returns. You're now more likely to have an apartment sit empty for a month or two before finding a tenant even in key locations.

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse

I would 'expect' a 12% yield on property in Dubai. Sadly I suspect it is somewhat lower once management fees and outs are taken into account. Then we have asset depreciation...
Old Dec 15th 2010, 8:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83
Since I have a boring day at the office with only three employee reviews to conduct (ugh, a waste of time), I took the liberty of doing a quick search for properties for sale in the Greens and comparing with current rental prices.

Pretty much everything is renting at 8% of the asking prices of similar properties for sale. This is an established, popular community with fairly quick turnover in tenants (assuming rents are priced reasonably).

Hmm. Not bad. Even with the management fees you are probably still looking at 5-6% annual return.

The caveat is that prices are still declining, both for rent and for sale. Increasing glut will tamper the returns. You're now more likely to have an apartment sit empty for a month or two before finding a tenant even in key locations.
That is a 6% gross yield - depending on the cost of the mortgage (and the leverage) your yield could be higher. Still, investing in property here is still a crap deal.
Old Dec 15th 2010, 9:02 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse

And that's exactly why I don't recommend buy property as an investment 50% of the time...it usually won't even keep up with inflation.

N.