British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Rental Cars (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/rental-cars-555716/)

Chris79 Aug 17th 2008 7:52 am

Rental Cars

I need to rent a car long term (3 months ish) in Abu Dhabi
I know there are loads of rental firms at the airport but I was wondering if anyone had rented from the little local firms you see knocking around. I bet they are a lot cheaper than the big firms like Hertz etc and TBH I'd rather give my money to a local firm than the big ones.

Inselaffen Aug 17th 2008 8:15 am

Re: Rental Cars

be careful with the little firms. We hired a corolla at work for a couple of days and gave it back immediately. It was a complete death trap!

Chris79 Aug 17th 2008 8:25 am

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 6687279)
be careful with the little firms. We hired a corolla at work for a couple of days and gave it back immediately. It was a complete death trap!

Yeah, thats another worry. Thats why I thought I'd see if anyone had used a decent one.
I might even look at buying a second hand car.

lionheart Aug 17th 2008 8:32 am

Have just collected a little Yaris rental from Europcar at AED85 per day while my Jeep is getting repaired. So far so good, touch wood.

Chris79 Aug 17th 2008 8:33 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 6687304)
Have just collected a little Yaris rental from Europcar at AED85 per day while my Jeep is getting repaired. So far so good, touch wood.

I think I need to call around a few of the firms and try and get monthly prices, should be able to get some good deals

arbroath_abroad Aug 17th 2008 10:17 am

Originally Posted by Chris79 (Post 6687306)
I think I need to call around a few of the firms and try and get monthly prices, should be able to get some good deals

did i see you yesterday at the booze place near C4?

sorry going off topic

Karlos The Jackal Aug 17th 2008 10:35 am

Booze and Chris together .............................perish the thought ! :eek:

We were in a bit of a mess over the weekend wern't we Christopher ? :beer:

Confucius Aug 17th 2008 10:36 am

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 6687279)

You get what you pay for...

Confucius Aug 17th 2008 10:37 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 6687304)

Are you a rapper???

Karlos The Jackal Aug 17th 2008 10:39 am

PMSL !!!!!:rofl:

matthew.lewis2 Aug 17th 2008 12:06 pm

My company hire cars through Diamond lease (in DXB dont know about AUH).

We get a 1.3 Lancer for about AED1500/month and a 2.0 Lancer (New shape) for around AED2000/month.

Hope this helps.

lionheart Aug 17th 2008 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by Confucius (Post 6687507)
Are you a rapper???

No, are you?:p

Madam Medusa Aug 17th 2008 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by Karlos The Jackal (Post 6687505)
We were in a bit of a mess over the weekend wern't we Christopher ? :beer:

lightweights...

MM, xx

Twix Aug 17th 2008 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by Chris79 (Post 6687253)
I need to rent a car long term (3 months ish) in Abu Dhabi
I know there are loads of rental firms at the airport but I was wondering if anyone had rented from the little local firms you see knocking around. I bet they are a lot cheaper than the big firms like Hertz etc and TBH I'd rather give my money to a local firm than the big ones.

Hi,
When we lived in Abu Dhabi we used to rent from Fast Rent a car and they were good and cheaper than the big international companies. Like you thought about renting from the local firms but the offers were no better than Fast's.
Hope this helps.
Irina

Chris79 Aug 18th 2008 4:58 am

Originally Posted by Twix (Post 6687847)
Hi,
When we lived in Abu Dhabi we used to rent from Fast Rent a car and they were good and cheaper than the big international companies. Like you thought about renting from the local firms but the offers were no better than Fast's.
Hope this helps.
Irina

Thanks, I have rented a Mazda 6 from a local firm 2100AED for the month. Will see how it goes, maybe my new company will have some good ties with a big firm?