Rent Renewal.

Old Sep 9th 2014, 4:59 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rent Renewal.

Originally Posted by mikewot
Which was the driver behind my writing the FAQ and distributing it as far and wide as possible. I know dozens of people who have used it successfully, it is a shock to the LLs that people are using the law. Some LL appear oblivious to the fact that Dubai has such great laws for renters. However if I was running a business I would be certain to know the law related to it, unless I was very dumb.
I think we all know that most of the landlords here are very dumb!

Your guide was (is!) brilliant by the way, but even now when Dubizzle are getting involved and so on there is still so much ignorance of the law. Shocking really...
Old Sep 9th 2014, 5:12 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by norsk
Your guide was (is!) brilliant by the way,
Shukran habibi. I do update when there are changes but not many so far. Some due this year but more in the way of clarifications of existing laws, i.e. tightening up the loopholes. And a new standard tenancy contract which should sweep away all of the dumbass individual ones written by various estate agents with all kinds of crappy addendums, most of which are totally unnecessary as they're covered under the laws.

On my wishlist:
Clarification on eviction under the 12 month rule for selling, then actually not selling.
Clarification on what is required on moving out, particulary repainting which appears to be a bone of contention.
Earlier resolution of simple breaches of the law, LL fails to give the required 90 days notice as required by law, or LL tries it on to raise the rent above the RERA index, rather than raise a case these could be sorted by email - Dear LL you are in breach of the Law of Dubai, follow the law or we will fine your ass.
Old Sep 9th 2014, 5:20 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Some LL appear oblivious to the fact that Dubai has such great laws for renters.
My Dad didn't believe me when I told him some of the things in our favour. It's awesome.
Old Sep 9th 2014, 5:55 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

And a new standard tenancy contract which should sweep away all of the dumbass individual ones written by various estate agents with all kinds of crappy addendums, most of which are totally unnecessary as they're covered under the laws.
When does this standard contract come into effect by the way? I'm just getting a new contract written up by some typist office and was banking on it being the same green contract I've always had...
Old Sep 9th 2014, 5:58 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by norsk
When does this standard contract come into effect by the way?
Who knows, it is supposed to be this year. Just continue to use the standard blue/green one until the new one comes out.
Old Sep 9th 2014, 6:06 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

Who knows, it is supposed to be this year. Just continue to use the standard blue/green one until the new one comes out.
Thank you O wise and powermad one!
Old Sep 9th 2014, 8:30 am
Wannabe Cycling God

TheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond repute

Afwhan. There is another member of the bored who contacted me privately. His LL has 'put the matter into the hands of his lawyer'. I'm hoping that it is a proper lawyer and not one of his dodgy mates because the case against the LL is absolutely solid. Any real lawyer would tell the LL that he has no chance and not to waste his money taking it to the RDSC. I'm almost willing to bet that it will go down that route though.
Yep, its me! Firstly, thanks Mike for the FAQ which I used almost exclusively when arguing my case against the LL. Additional thanks for sanity checking my eMail threads in the recent stages.

As Mike stated, we are now waiting for LLs "lawyer" to contact us or not and I will try to update the board once we get to the next stage. Interestingly, I met one of our neighbours in a bar by chance and we chatted about the situation. My eMail thread which was vetted by Mike has now been distributed to about 20 tenants who are all using it for their own fights.

If my LL goes down the route of using his "lawyers" against everyone, I suspect he is going to have a very big bill on his hands!
Old Sep 9th 2014, 8:34 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by TheShed
Yep, its me!
Sssshhh! Don't tell them your name Pike.
Originally Posted by TheShed
distributed to about 20 tenants who are all using it for their own fights. If my LL goes down the route of using his "lawyers" against everyone, I suspect he is going to have a very big bill on his hands!
Hehehe! Bring it on Very big bill to go with him looking like a total cock.

The thing that totally cracked me up was where he said that the addendum on the contract meant you could not renew and had to move out. But a couple of weeks before that gem he had sent you the 12 months eviction notice 'because he is selling'. So which is it, the non-renewable contract, or the 12 months eviction notice (as required under the law and costs around 400-800 Dhm)? Answers on a postcard to the usual address.

Last edited by mikewot; Sep 9th 2014 at 8:40 am. Reason: Forgot a bit