Rent Renewal

Old Oct 14th 2012, 7:33 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Rent Renewal

Morning campers.

I know this has been asked a millions times before.

Current rent 62,500
1 bed in Exec Towers, Business Bay.

Text the landlord's rep this morning and he said I can renew my contract (which states; ONE YEAR) but at current market prices. I've replied asking what they are.

In anticipation that he's going to say more than 62,500 (a mate moved in 8 floors below me, slightly smaller too for 70k only 3-4 months ago)....how can I argue back for a minimal / zero increase.

NOTE: I can't get the RERA rent calculator to work, it comes up with a server application error.

Any suggestions for how best I can prepare...I really don't want to move out.
Old Oct 14th 2012, 7:41 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Rent Renewal

Got the calculator to work:

"The rent for a One bedroom apartment in Business Bay is in the range 50000 to 65000 AED per year.
Your rent is less than or equal to 25% of the average similar rent in the area.
So you are not entitled to any increase of rent."

So, when I argue this point and they say no, and we go back and forth a few times....can they just say, no, piss off, move out?

Bearing in mind it is 34 days until contract is up?
Old Oct 14th 2012, 8:08 am
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp

"The rent for a One bedroom apartment in Business Bay is in the range 50000 to 65000 AED per year.

So, when I argue this point and they say no, and we go back and forth a few times....can they just say, no, piss off, move out?

My understanding is no. Tell them if they try and kick you out, you'll report them to RERA.

Besides, as I understand, they need to give two month's notice before they can kick you out. So they have to resign the contract.
Old Oct 14th 2012, 8:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Also, just say that you phoned RERA and they confirmed that there could be no rent increase and that if they refuse to renew with the same conditions etc you were entitled to take them to RERA and they would have to foot the bill.
Old Oct 14th 2012, 8:37 am
Account Closed

Thanks Auz and PS.

I've just had a text back saying market price is 75,000 (probably about right) but because I'm hassle free, nice and good tennant they will re-rent for 69,000.

So now I reply saying 'no. RERA say it should be same price'.

Am I correct?
Old Oct 14th 2012, 8:42 am
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Auz and PS.

I've just had a text back saying market price is 75,000 (probably about right) but because I'm hassle free, nice and good tennant they will re-rent for 69,000.

So now I reply saying 'no. RERA say it should be same price'.

Am I correct?
I'd go with this.

"No. I reject that offer. RERA said you are not entitled to increase the rent. As such, you are to charge me AED62,500 as per last year's agreement.

I've already spoken to RERA and if you refuse, they recommended me to report you to them as being in breach of RERA rules.

They also said you will be liable for any and all costs incurred as a result of any action RERA has to take."
Old Oct 14th 2012, 9:04 am
Account Closed

Reply I got;

"In that case landlord wants to keep his staff there. Pls advise, i'm just a mediator, hope you understand....i will call you in an hour to discuss further"

Any suggestions?
Old Oct 14th 2012, 9:09 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Reply I got;

"In that case landlord wants to keep his staff there. Pls advise, i'm just a mediator, hope you understand....i will call you in an hour to discuss further"

Any suggestions?

It's irrelevant if he wants to put staff in there. What others have said is correct and the law in on your side. Just point out what RERA have said and that you assume the company will be abiding by the law.
Old Oct 14th 2012, 9:11 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Meow
It's irrelevant if he wants to put staff in there. What others have said is correct and the law in on your side. Just point out what RERA have said and that you assume the company will be abiding by the law.
Struggling for a number for RERA to call them.

I'm dealing with the LL's helper / employee.

If they say they don't want to rent to me, because it is 34 days from renewal, what options do they have?

It seems a bit one-sided that I can stay in it for another year at the same price and they can do NOTHING about it?
Old Oct 14th 2012, 9:19 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

I presume your contract has a 2 month renewal clause. That means if they want you to vacate they have to give you 2 months notice. I presuME you told them you wanted to stay at that time?

04 222-253 Toll Free: 7000 40000

Don't bother trying to email As they never reply.
Old Oct 14th 2012, 9:23 am
Account Closed

I presume your contract has a 2 month renewal clause. That means if they want you to vacate they have to give you 2 months notice. I presuME you told them you wanted to stay at that time?

04 222-253 Toll Free: 7000 40000

Don't bother trying to email As they never reply.
It just states that renewal is at discrepancy of the landlord.

I haven't had any contact with LL or his representative since first moving in.

I'll find your email address and send you a copy if you don't mind?

I'll call this RERA mob later today.
Old Oct 14th 2012, 9:30 am
Bored liberal

Discrepancy? I assume discretion. He still has to give you notice in accordance with the contract. By all means send it over. I'll be at my desk for most of this afternoon.
Old Oct 14th 2012, 9:31 am
Account Closed

Discrepancy? I assume discretion. He still has to give you notice in accordance with the contract. By all means send it over. I'll be at my desk for most of this afternoon.
Sorry, yeah.

Will email you.
Old Oct 14th 2012, 10:07 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Correct me if I'm wrong here (the law or interpretations of it seem to change more often than Madonna gets accused of being a disgusting old filthy ho and a bad mother), but I thought the landlord had no choice but to renew the agreement unless he himself is moving in (ie wanting to move his staff in is not good enough) or if he is selling up in which case he has to give you 12 months (!) notice apparently..

Last edited by norsk; Oct 14th 2012 at 10:09 am. Reason: all those bloody brackets are confusing aren't they..
Old Oct 14th 2012, 10:10 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by norsk
Correct me if I'm wrong here (the law or interpretations of it seem to change more often than Madonna gets accused of being a disgusting old filthy ho and a bad mother), but I thought the landlord had no choice but to renew the agreement unless he himself is moving in (ie wanting to move his staff in is not good enough) or if he is selling up (in which case he has to give you 12 months (!) notice apparently..
The woman is a disgusting old filthy ho and a bad mother....so it's probably changed again.

As per the norm, most advice on here is legit, so thanks ladies and gents.

Meow has scanned her eyes over the contract I have and said the same thing....so thanks, will have a little polite debate with them and see where we go.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.