British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Rent Issues! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/rent-issues-800994/)

Chris_m Jun 23rd 2013 9:03 am

Rent Issues!

Guy's a quick question!

Under any circumstances is it allowed for a Landlord to Turn off your AC??

Sadly my friend finds himself in a difficult position, He was unemployed for 9months and fell behind with the rent. Now he has caught up, His Landlord Disconnected his AC back in November when he paid half a rent cheque. As of last month he was upto date again.

Today i went with him to the Agents Office and the guy there stated the LL didn't want to reconnect his AC and would go to the rent committee to have him evicted. I've never had any dealings with Rent problems here in Dubai. Was wondering if anyone here had had any such issues.

Thanks Chris

mikewot Jun 23rd 2013 9:16 am

Re: Rent Issues!

Your mate has exposed himself to eviction by failing to pay the rent, that's against the rules. Under normal circumstances the LL cannot instruct DEWA to switch off services but I'm guessing that in this case it's district cooling under the control of the building management. There is nothing in the laws about this situation. RERA followed by rental committee is all I can suggest.

Dorothy Jun 23rd 2013 9:18 am

Originally Posted by Chris_m (Post 10770320)
Guy's a quick question!

He is?

Chris_m Jun 23rd 2013 9:23 am

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 10770341)
Your mate has exposed himself to eviction by failing to pay the rent, that's against the rules. Under normal circumstances the LL cannot instruct DEWA to switch off services but I'm guessing that in this case it's district cooling under the control of the building management. There is nothing in the laws about this situation. RERA followed by rental committee is all I can suggest.

So he is pretty much screwed i guess??

Thanks Chris

mikewot Jun 23rd 2013 9:29 am

Originally Posted by Chris_m (Post 10770353)
So he is pretty much screwed i guess??

There are not many circumstances where they can evict but failing to pay the rent for 30 days is one. Might just be worth his while banging out whilst he can as I doubt the AC issue is going to be a quick fix. In any case it's sounds very messy so getting the deposit back will be problematic.

Chris_m Jun 23rd 2013 9:31 am

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 10770362)
There are not many circumstances where they can evict but failing to pay the rent for 30 days is one. Might just be worth his while banging out whilst he can as I doubt the AC issue is going to be a quick fix. In any case it's sounds very messy so getting the deposit back will be problematic.

Worst thing is the Agent guy was helpful enough but it seems to be his bosses are putting pressure on him.

Oh well guess i'll be having another house guest for a while!

busybee2 Jun 23rd 2013 12:06 pm

yes in order to get his rent, you are defaulting.... does he pay his own bills? or is this the chiller etc for the building?