British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Rent, furniture, car and shit. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/rent-furniture-car-shit-728636/)

Bahtatboy Aug 15th 2011 12:18 pm

Re: Rent, furniture, car and shit.

Anybody mention Home Centre for furniture?

scrubbedexpat141 Aug 15th 2011 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 9560478)
Anybody mention Home Centre for furniture?

It's on my spreadsheet, so someone must have!

Bahtatboy Aug 15th 2011 12:45 pm

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 9560488)
It's on my spreadsheet, so someone must have!

Good! Make sure you wait for the Ramadan sales...

And don't dismiss Dubizzle: I saw this and thought of you. My friend's got one and swears by it; wipe-down leather, too:D

Attachment 102221

http://dubai.dubizzle.com/classified...=1&price__lte=

Meow Aug 15th 2011 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by Morecambe Mindy (Post 9560457)
Just to add to the list of furniture stores, if you like Marina stuff but don't like the prices, try Heritage Touch on Al Quoz (showroom on Street 4 I think opposite the Subaru Garage and also warehouse further down same road).

Safita in Al Quoz (sort of behind Pepsi factory) is the best place in Dubai for decent wooden furniture at good prices. Stock changes all the time and they will alter pieces too. Superb delivery.

Definitely look at Dubizzle too. Lots of bargains to be had. (I also have a round pale wood dining table for sale )

Spugsy Aug 15th 2011 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 9560328)
I also know someone who rents out a room in her flat ona monthly basis- let me know if you want her details. :D

Aye look on Dubizzle,loads of people sharing nice apartments on the Palm.

soukie Aug 15th 2011 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by commander (Post 9560135)
rent loan from your company is good!!

If you have to go down this path ask the Company to put a clause in the agreement stating that they will not deduct payments if you are made redundant, unless you want to remain in the property and then they can deduct the full amount owing. I'm sure that you are fully aware of the visa cancellation rules and the 30 days to leave policy - yes I know there are ways around it but play it safe!

Furniture from The One is OK and worth considering but a bit expensive. Dubizzle as suggested by BB is a good bet and Spinneys boards etc. Don't be tempted to spend too much on furniture or cars - in this "here today gone tomorrow" Country or you could be well out of pocket.

Spugsy Aug 15th 2011 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by soukie (Post 9560725)
If you have to go down this path ask the Company to put a clause in the agreement stating that they will not deduct payments if you are made redundant, unless you want to remain in the property and then they can deduct the full amount owing. I'm sure that you are fully aware of the visa cancellation rules and the 30 days to leave policy - yes I know there are ways around it but play it safe!

Furniture from The One is OK and worth considering but a bit expensive. Dubizzle as suggested by BB is a good bet and Spinneys boards etc. Don't be tempted to spend too much on furniture or cars - in this "here today gone tomorrow" Country or you could be well out of pocket.

We knew we'd be here for more than 2 years so we decided to get some good stuff. Marina has nice stuff and has anyone mentioned that place in Sharjah (forgot the name)?We got loads of great stuff, solid teak for a decent price - it's nice to come back home to a place with nice furniture, tv etc

MataHari Aug 15th 2011 6:04 pm

ask your real estate agent to give you a copy of the final bill with the 'paid' stamp from the previous tenants....Dewa will not connect you if there is an outstanding bill for the apartment, even if it's got nothing to do with you.
You will need to pay 1000 dhs deposit (refundable when you move out) and 110 dhs connection fee. The connection is usually done within 24 hrs.

Just to add that you will need your residency visa for everything, lease, dewa, etisalat...as the rent, commission and security deposit are usually paid by cheque, you will need to set up a local bank account and get the cheque book issued, which, since you don't have a visa, I guess you have not done yet.

Spugsy Aug 15th 2011 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 9561172)
ask your real estate agent to give you a copy of the final bill with the 'paid' stamp from the previous tenants....Dewa will not connect you if there is an outstanding bill for the apartment, even if it's got nothing to do with you.
You will need to pay 1000 dhs deposit (refundable when you move out) and 110 dhs connection fee. The connection is usually done within 24 hrs.

Just to add that you will need your residency visa for everything, lease, dewa, etisalat...as the rent, commission and security deposit are usually paid by cheque, you will need to set up a local bank account and get the cheque book issued, which, since you don't have a visa, I guess you have not done yet.

Blimey, the font of all knowledge is here.

How are you bonny lass?

MataHari Aug 15th 2011 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 9561203)
Blimey, the font of all knowledge is here.

How are you bonny lass?

it's what I do for a living...being The Font

I am fine thanks pet lamb x

scrubbedexpat141 Aug 15th 2011 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 9561172)

Lots of useful stuff.

Managed to get a bank account and credit card, just no cheque book until I get the visa.

Did I see you in Marina Spinneys?

Hello.Kitty Aug 15th 2011 7:52 pm

Also check out Dubizzle for furniture - it's full of year-old stuff and half of Ikea is on there.

auzdafluff Aug 16th 2011 4:03 am

I was going to say Scamp, don't feel like rushing out the company apartment into your own. Go into a flatshare. I've been in one for over a year now, and while I was looking to move out a month or two ago, it's only because I was curious about if I could find somewhere cheaper. I couldn't (well, not without a significant reduction in the cost to make up for having to deal with DEWA and Du :p).

Blue Cat Aug 16th 2011 9:22 am

Scamp is the Mrs getting a housing allowance or company apartment?

scrubbedexpat141 Aug 16th 2011 11:05 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 9562402)
Scamp is the Mrs getting a housing allowance or company apartment?

Apartment.

Says she doesnt want to live with me anyway, the bitch.

We didn't live together in the UK so she wants to do a year out here in her own place making her own friends and her own life as well before living together next year.

Makes some sense and anything to keep her happy :)