Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Rent, furniture, car and shit.

Rent, furniture, car and shit.

Old Aug 15th 2011, 7:56 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Rent, furniture, car and shit.

Morning all,

I've got a quick trip home on Thursday for four days, then will be getting my visa processed. Then I'm leaving again for a UK Wedding from 7-11 Sept, then again on 28-3rd Oct, so it leaves only short 2 week periods in Dubai to sort stuff.

I'm being pushed to get out the company apartment and move into a place of my own, trying to keep costs down I'm looking in Tecom, but a half decent place there doesn't seem to be much cheaper than a nice 1 bed in Downtown.

Downtown makes a lot of sense because the Mrs is in Silicon Oasis, although I work in Internet City...I'd actually quite like the drive to and from work I think.

I will also want to buy and need to get a motor

I will also need to furnish the apartment.

Questions;

-What are the timescales to realistically view, agree, sign and move into a place?
-IF my company won't provide a rent loan then does anyone have any good suggestions for banks?
-How easy is it to get DEWA set up?
-What about TV and Internet? - do those things take forever?
-When buying a car - is it like the UK and able to walk in, buy and drive away or will it take forever?
-Are loans for a car readily available if you've only just got a visa? (I have something like 4 or 5 salary slips so far)
-Anyone know any furninture shops aside from Ikea? I want to get a nice sofa and the website doesn't show many?

I appreciate any help with these things, I get blank looks from a lot of the guys in the office because they've just made their wives/gf's do this horrid donkey work.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat141; Aug 15th 2011 at 7:57 am. Reason: bullet points are crap
Old Aug 15th 2011, 8:29 am
Account Closed

Tillybean is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Rent, furniture, car and shit.

My company gave me a housing and a car loan, interest free.

For furniture, I like Marina and they have a warehouse in Dubai - would give you the details but my internet is playing up like buggery at work today! If you can get a bargain in the sale, then The One isnt bad but also check out Dubizzle and Dubai Souk plus the boards at Spinneys etc.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Housing loan and car loan all on one day

I hope you have much confidence in your employment status Scamp or a ruck of bucks stashed to pay off in case of emergency
Old Aug 15th 2011, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

paca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nice

-What are the timescales to realistically view, agree, sign and move into a place?

can be a couple days or a couple weeks, depends on landlord and current tennent. Make sure you bargain hard

-IF my company won't provide a rent loan then does anyone have any good suggestions for banks? - no idea

-How easy is it to get DEWA set up? - easy or hard, when viewing a place that you like take a picture of the DEWA tag on the outside of the door. then you take a trip to the office (we used jebel ali) and you hope there are no outstanding bills to pay which causes problems... plan on at least a couple trips and if it works out better its a bonus. Setting up online didn't work for us

-What about TV and Internet? - do those things take forever? yes and no.... again quoted time was good but took a week and loads of screwups, visit the DU or ET shop to setup and chase up, one thing you will struggle with is if engineer doesnt show up when quoted so you waste time off work

-When buying a car - is it like the UK and able to walk in, buy and drive away or will it take forever? - not sure about new but buying used is a good system but has to be done at a Tasjeel station and takes about an hour.

-Are loans for a car readily available if you've only just got a visa? (I have something like 4 or 5 salary slips so far) - no idea

-Anyone know any furninture shops aside from Ikea? I want to get a nice sofa and the website doesn't show many? - Home center in MOE do good value, PAN next to MOE do some crazy cheap stuff. a bit further along SZR is united furniture which had a good sale on. Ask Spugsy for place he knows in sharjah if you want quality solid wood gear, I think he said it was good price too

anything else let me know
Old Aug 15th 2011, 9:00 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

get your company to provide you accommodation and a car. Do not take out any loans in your name or put yourself in any financial risk in this country..

If your company doesnt help them then it says a lot about them and the industry you are in.

Given your line of work, you know all of the above though ;-)
Old Aug 15th 2011, 9:02 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Paca - Thanks so much, some blinding info there, v v v useful indeed.

Tock - I'm doing alright, came with some cash and improved that, I'm confident I can do my job well, so will see. Your caution is noted though
Old Aug 15th 2011, 9:03 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by commander
get your company to provide you accommodation and a car. Do not take out any loans in your name or put yourself in any financial risk in this country..

If your company doesnt help them then it says a lot about them and the industry you are in.

Given your line of work, you know all of the above though ;-)
I'd love to, but it's not going to happen. They will do me a rent loan though, which is better than not.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

paca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nice

Though of some more stuff

Dragon mart has stuff.....
lots of it for cheap but plan on spending a full day finding it!!!! - we didnt buy anything bigger than would fit in the car but there are loads of "men with a van" I guess would delivery the big stuff for pennies. We got some cool stuff there around half price or less of main shops. great for curtains, rugs, etc

Deliveries in general - ie bed, sofa, tv etc.... they get delivered with men to put it together, plan on staying in all day - They really like it when you offer them water... buy a load of masaffi and just give them a bottle each.

Sharaf DG, Jumbo, Carafour and Geant do just about everything else at the right price. shop about for "best price"
Old Aug 15th 2011, 9:12 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
I'd love to, but it's not going to happen. They will do me a rent loan though, which is better than not.
rent loan from your company is good!!
Old Aug 15th 2011, 9:15 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Never take out a rent loan. Period. Find landlords that offer 4-6-12 cheques.

The set up costs are indeed quite high. In addition to the first rent cheque there's the 5% agent's fee and a 5% deposit, plus extras for the dewa connection. Internet/TV packages are quite expensive too.

This is what my set up cost was when I moved into my 1-bed back in 2010:

30,000 AED for 6 months' rent
3,000 AED for agent's fee
3,000 AED for deposit
300 AED (I think) for DEWA connection

I never got an internet/tv package.

Then on top of this I had to buy furniture and household supplies. I staggered this over 2-3 months. Most of it came from Dubizzle/Ikea. I have to say I impressed myself by fully equipping the kitchen for 200 AED from a Czech woman leaving Dubai, and it was all good quality dishes, cutlery and pots and pans. She threw in a microwave and toaster for free too.

Altogether, equipping the flat was another 5,000 AED. Furniture is very overpriced in Dubai so it's best to buy secondhand gear from departing expats. Quite often you will see the same sofa from Marina or Ikea at 50% off and only a year old.

You're still quite young. Have you considered a flat/villa share for a year or so to build up your savings account?
Old Aug 15th 2011, 9:41 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

I may know of a place that you could rent for a few months so you don't have to rush getting all this done. Drop me an email.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 10:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Tecom is still cheaper than downtown-

What are the timescales to realistically view, agree, sign and move into a place? Its more the setting up of bank acocunts etc that takes the time. I had a very nice landlord who bent the rules for me a bit so I managed to move in despite not having a visa etc.

-IF my company won't provide a rent loan then does anyone have any good suggestions for banks?My company gave me the cheques which I then swapped over once my bank account had been opened. Mine also gave me a loan as I had been pormised this beforehand even though it is against their policy. Get stroppy or cry if need be- no idea about banks.

-How easy is it to get DEWA set up? My letting agent did this for me however I had a bit of a nightmare as it seems someone else paid my dewa for me for the first year so then had to spend HOURS AND HOURS in the dewa office trying to sort it out!

-What about TV and Internet? - do those things take forever? Only queueing in the DU office which took a while as typically understaffed, they then come out and set it all up for you and was secidedly painless for me.

-When buying a car - is it like the UK and able to walk in, buy and drive away or will it take forever? no idea but please let me know as I will be doing thsi soon.

-Are loans for a car readily available if you've only just got a visa? (I have something like 4 or 5 salary slips so far) again no idea but please let me know.

-Anyone know any furninture shops aside from Ikea? I want to get a nice sofa and the website doesn't show many? I have furniture from all over the place, some charge delivery, some take weeks, some deliver with 24 hours, The One has some nice stuff, Bloomingdales has some very very nice stuff, Artikel- best store is in DIFC, Home Centre has some nice bits of you search, Index living in Duabi mall is good for sofas and isnt too pricey, @ Home has some nice bits- stores in Dubai Mall, Crate and Barell- overly expensive though, Its worth going to Dubai Mall and going upstairs as they are all grouped together there. I'd happily decorate your house for you as need a bit of a hobby and spend money like water! What look are you after and whats yrou budget and doenst your girlfriend want to do it?
Old Aug 15th 2011, 10:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

I also know someone who rents out a room in her flat ona monthly basis- let me know if you want her details.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 12:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Morecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to behold

Just to add to the list of furniture stores, if you like Marina stuff but don't like the prices, try Heritage Touch on Al Quoz (showroom on Street 4 I think opposite the Subaru Garage and also warehouse further down same road).
Old Aug 15th 2011, 12:16 pm
Account Closed

You lot are mighty useful when you want to be.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, feel free to keep them coming, I've now got a spreadsheet of furniture companies to start investigating.

Thanks again

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.