British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   rent or buy a car? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/rent-buy-car-713042/)

scrubbedexpat141 Apr 12th 2011 10:27 am

rent or buy a car?

I've been out her just under a week and hate not driving.

I know taxi's are cheap and plentiful but you still lack the certain full independence.

I have looked at a few places for renting a car and they cost a fortune it seems...2000 minimum.

When looking at cars, it's tough to know a budget because I don't know what a repayment would be on a 50,000 second hand motor...

Any general suggestions would be welcomed.

Meow Apr 12th 2011 10:29 am

Re: rent or buy a car?

Rent one for a few months. Don't buy until you are 100% sure you will be staying. Besides, if you are in your probationary period you won't get a loan, assuming you'll need one.

Millhouse Apr 12th 2011 10:34 am

Learn to drive here in a rented one before you use your own money.

Repayments vary depending how long you finance it for. There was a time when the banks would lend you money for up to 6 years on a Jap car. So if it was 2 years old then you could get a 4 year loan etc.

Of course, taking out a 5 year loan when you only plan to stay for 3 years isn't a good idea.

Autonomy Apr 12th 2011 10:37 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 9300201)
I've been out her just under a week and hate not driving.

I know taxi's are cheap and plentiful but you still lack the certain full independence.

I have looked at a few places for renting a car and they cost a fortune it seems...2000 minimum.

When looking at cars, it's tough to know a budget because I don't know what a repayment would be on a 50,000 second hand motor...

Any general suggestions would be welcomed.

Agree with the other comments, rent for a while then buy if you're staying here for a decent amount of time.

My experience:-

Bought 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon in 2005 when it was 10 months old, very low millage. Paid 50,000 on a 4 year loan, monthly repayments were 1,325 for 48 cheques (all hand written!).

It's currently worth 35-40,000 and the loan fully paid off.

Meow Apr 12th 2011 10:46 am

The Central Bank has recently issues new rules regarding personal loans.

From memory, an individual can borrow up to 20 times their monthly income for a maximum period of four years.

Millhouse Apr 12th 2011 10:47 am

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 9300213)
Agree with the other comments, rent for a while then buy if you're staying here for a decent amount of time.

My experience:-

Bought 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon in 2005 when it was 10 months old, very low millage. Paid 50,000 on a 4 year loan, monthly repayments were 1,325 for 48 cheques (all hand written!).

It's currently worth 35-40,000 and the loan fully paid off.

My experience:

Toyota Fortuner 4L: 18mths old when I bought it, cost 99k AED. Loan taken out (quoted rate 3.99%*) over 5 years. Repayments 1800 AED/month

It's now 4.5 years old - Outstanding loan balance: 45k, I value it at... 45k AED.

Pajero SWB - 3.5 years old when I bought it, cash purchase, 45k AED. I value it at 20k AED.

Both cars are in reasonable condition - I value them so low as I would basically accept anything when it comes to sell them as I don't believe the market to be liquid.

* ignore the rates quoted by the banks - 3.99% is actually about 8% as they do a very weird, and non standard calculation.

Bahtatboy Apr 12th 2011 10:49 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 9300201)

Yep, I love independence. The independence of having to go to the cop shop tomorrow to renew my vehicle registration because I've now got 4 Black Points on my licence (don't know where, don't know when, but allegedly for Dangerous Driving (changing lane without signalling) and Parking). The independence to get hit with 6 other offences totalling about 2k in fines for unspecified offences on unspecified dates. The independence to guess what the frigging speed limits are. The independence to fight for a parking space virtually anywhere I go. And (although thankfully not for me) the independence to use my own money to buy a car that will be at the mercy of knobhead, incompetent and inexperienced other drivers, main-dealer mechanics who cannibalise my toolkit and take 3 days to perform a routine service, and the general randomness that is driving over here.

Yeah, independence, right on man.

Millhouse Apr 12th 2011 10:49 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 9300227)
The Central Bank has recently issues new rules regarding personal loans.

From memory, an individual can borrow up to 20 times their monthly income for a maximum period of four years.

Are these the same rules for car loans? car loans are secured on the car whereas personal ones are treated differently.

I know that when I changed jobs and was off visa for a bit, HSBC said it wasn't a problem as it was a car loan - had it been a personal loan I would have my accounts frozen.

Welivehere Apr 12th 2011 10:52 am

Scamp,

Another point that may be worth looking at is personal loan v vehicle loan. When I was there a couple of years ago vehicle loans had a lower interest rate but the bank owned the vehficle untitl the final payement was made whereas with a personal loan the interest was a % or so higher but the car was not tied into it.

Also bear in mind that a lot, if not all, of the local institutions will penalise you for early settlement....

Cheers

Welivehere Apr 12th 2011 10:54 am

Doh... Almost a duplicate of the Millhouse post.... :thumbup:

scrubbedexpat141 Apr 12th 2011 10:58 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 9300229)
Yeah, independence, right on man.

Thanks for the ever useful sarcasm...

To everyone else; genuine thanks. I think you're right, rent for a few months and see how it fares, I balked at renting originally because so many quotes come at 3000+

Can anyone recommend somewhere I can get something cheap but not completely useless?

Thanks

Bahtatboy Apr 12th 2011 11:01 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 9300247)

To everyone else; genuine thanks.

Bollocks to you, then. It may have been sarcastic, but I can assure you its all true.:D

Welivehere Apr 12th 2011 11:04 am

something cheap but not completely useless?

In Dubai thats an oxymoron. You are are going to struggle to be honest, probably looking at Lancers, Mazda's 3 or 6's.... You might be able to look at an Accord or Camry for late 2k's....

Autonomy Apr 12th 2011 11:12 am

Originally Posted by Welivehere (Post 9300260)
In Dubai thats an oxymoron. You are are going to struggle to be honest, probably looking at Lancers, Mazda's 3 or 6's.... You might be able to look at an Accord or Camry for late 2k's....

There is the complex of dealers out at Ras Al Khor / Al Awir - that's where I got mine in 2005.

There is also an auction house.

Of course it's a lottery though as unless you're a car expert there could be all sorts wrong - you can insist on a inspection before you purchase though.

Oh and there is the bureaucratic joy of ownership transfer...

MacScot Apr 12th 2011 11:14 am

To everyone else; genuine thanks. I think you're right, rent for a few months and see how it fares, I balked at renting originally because so many quotes come at 3000+

Can anyone recommend somewhere I can get something cheap but not completely useless?

Thanks

Get the Gulf News and check out car hire in the classified lift out..they seem to offer cheap rates (I've seen 67 dhs/day). I got my hire car for 69 dhs/day but for 6-month hire of a Focus via Alamo UK online (pick up at the Ford Service Centre in Al Quoz (Al Tayer Ford Motors building)). There is also a small hire place in that building at the back of the car servicing area. Was going to renew but the rates went up significantly, so bought a used Honda Accord, which (I'm told) holds its value well.

scrubbedexpat141 Apr 12th 2011 11:41 am

Originally Posted by Welivehere (Post 9300260)

Yes, that's part of the problem.

Not got an issue spending some money on a car, but if I'm going to rent for 3 months then I'll live with something shit because otherwise it's just pissing money away on nothing, rather piss money away on a car I own.

Will check out a few of the companies referred in here by others and Gulf News - thanks for the help!

Millhouse Apr 12th 2011 11:53 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 9300303)
Yes, that's part of the problem.

Not got an issue spending some money on a car, but if I'm going to rent for 3 months then I'll live with something shit because otherwise it's just pissing money away on nothing, rather piss money away on a car I own.

Will check out a few of the companies referred in here by others and Gulf News - thanks for the help!

We rented an Outlander, cost about 3300 AED - a tin can is around 2000 AED.

not cheap here mate - we did tell you :)

scrubbedexpat141 Apr 12th 2011 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 9300326)
We rented an Outlander, cost about 3300 AED - a tin can is around 2000 AED.

not cheap here mate - we did tell you :)

Yeah that's fine, I don't mind paying a bit for renting but trying to weigh up driving a shitheap for 3 months and paying 6k overall, then buying, or rent something a bit nicer for longer and waste the money, then buy....

it's just a right ball-buster trying to work out what to do.

Millhouse Apr 12th 2011 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 9300347)
Yeah that's fine, I don't mind paying a bit for renting but trying to weigh up driving a shitheap for 3 months and paying 6k overall, then buying, or rent something a bit nicer for longer and waste the money, then buy....

Just buy a 3 year old SWB Pajero, you can do no wrong with that.

Meow Apr 12th 2011 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 9300347)

Have you seen the way people drive here? You really don't want something make of tin foil on these roads.

scrubbedexpat141 Apr 12th 2011 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 9300352)
Just buy a 3 year old SWB Pajero, you can do no wrong with that.

swb - short wheel base right?

Blue Cat Apr 12th 2011 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 9300381)

get something solid Scamp, Meow is right :)

Millhouse Apr 12th 2011 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 9300381)

yup, the 3 door mum-run shopping mobile. It's shockingly crap but you can always sell them on for some reason.

scrubbedexpat141 Apr 12th 2011 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 9300422)
get something solid Scamp, Meow is right :)

Ach, I'll be fine. I'm solid.

Blue Cat Apr 12th 2011 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 9300426)
Ach, I'll be fine. I'm solid.

it's the other nutters I worry about! anyway how's working panning out?

shiva Apr 12th 2011 12:49 pm

rent a lancer make sure its a 1.6 this will enrich your driving forever. do so for 1st 3 months or probationary period

you will wonder why anyone would buy one
you will learn that by turning off the ac you can accelerate
you will wonder how the **** mitsi ever managed to make an evo starting with the lancer
every car you drive forever after that isnt a lancer you will appreciate

lancer or echo are about the cheapest you can lease, i used diamond lease was about 1600aed but that was a while ago so know idea on price nowadays.

after that buy if you can, if you buy wise you'll recoup some of the cost when you eventually sell unlike leasing. plenty of good deals to be had as prices are down.

top tip is to remember to adjust your total insured value upwards every couple of years to ensure that the insured value exceeds the remaining loan amount. insurance co's here tend to devalue your car pretty ****ing quickly so its not uncommon for someone to have a total write off accident and for the insurance to leave a big gap that needs to be covered. in effect this will cost you just a few tens of dirhams extra each year but could easily save you 5-10k in an accident

scrubbedexpat141 Apr 12th 2011 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 9300428)
it's the other nutters I worry about! anyway how's working panning out?

Work is interesting.

The languages in the office are mental, mix of Urdu, Tagalog, Arabic all going on at any one time, just to be able to communicate over the phone. That's brilliant, I like that.

Every hour or so, someone will appear in the office holding a solitary milkshake or a fruit salad, or one coffee... I just walked out the door, down the lift and around the corner to buy myself a Costa because I'm working late today... about 4 people just asked why I didn't get it delivered.

What the hell is up with that?

Millhouse Apr 12th 2011 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 9300436)
top tip is to remember to adjust your total insured value upwards every couple of years to ensure that the insured value exceeds the remaining loan amount. insurance co's here tend to devalue your car pretty ****ing quickly so its not uncommon for someone to have a total write off accident and for the insurance to leave a big gap that needs to be covered. in effect this will cost you just a few tens of dirhams extra each year but could easily save you 5-10k in an accident

That's interesting - I always have to ask the insurance company to accelerate the depreciation. I always insure it for exactly the outstanding loan amount. I never put a deposit down on the thing so I have no 'equity' to try and recover in my mind - just feels like I rented it.

scrubbedexpat141 Apr 12th 2011 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 9300436)
rent a lancer make sure its a 1.6 this will enrich your driving forever. do so for 1st 3 months or probationary period

you will wonder why anyone would buy one
you will learn that by turning off the ac you can accelerate
you will wonder how the **** mitsi ever managed to make an evo starting with the lancer
every car you drive forever after that isnt a lancer you will appreciate

lancer or echo are about the cheapest you can lease, i used diamond lease was about 1600aed but that was a while ago so know idea on price nowadays.

after that buy if you can, if you buy wise you'll recoup some of the cost when you eventually sell unlike leasing. plenty of good deals to be had as prices are down.

Thanks for that, really very useful information.

Might just do the lancer thing until bank properly set up, Meow don't kill me but it's with HSBC...

Meow Apr 12th 2011 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 9300444)
Work is interesting.

The languages in the office are mental, mix of Urdu, Tagalog, Arabic all going on at any one time, just to be able to communicate over the phone. That's brilliant, I like that.

Every hour or so, someone will appear in the office holding a solitary milkshake or a fruit salad, or one coffee... I just walked out the door, down the lift and around the corner to buy myself a Costa because I'm working late today... about 4 people just asked why I didn't get it delivered.

Wait until July...

Millhouse Apr 12th 2011 12:54 pm

People here are ****ing idle that's why. I always got the same comments when I'd walk 100m to get my sandwiches in July.

scrubbedexpat141 Apr 12th 2011 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 9300453)
Wait until July...

Come July I'll be doing it but at the moment, it's not exactly blistering is it....just f***ing lazy.

scrubbedexpat141 Apr 12th 2011 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 9300454)
People here are ****ing idle that's why. I always got the same comments when I'd walk 100m to get my sandwiches in July.

I'm not committing to doing the same in the summer heat because I've not experienced it yet...but if it's bearable outside for 2 minutes then I'll still go and get my own stuff.

Meow Apr 12th 2011 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 9300460)
Come July I'll be doing it but at the moment, it's not exactly blistering is it....just f***ing lazy.

It's Dubai. Few people walk anywhere they don't really have to, which is one of the reasons so many people are hugely overweight. It's also easy to get used to people carrying everything for you.

Ignore your colleagues and do as you like. :)

Millhouse Apr 12th 2011 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 9300461)
I'm not committing to doing the same in the summer heat because I've not experienced it yet...but if it's bearable outside for 2 minutes then I'll still go and get my own stuff.

Oddly, I don't really sweat - so it's easy for me. I do feel sorry for the melted petrol boys.

scrubbedexpat141 Apr 12th 2011 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 9300470)
Oddly, I don't really sweat - so it's easy for me. I do feel sorry for the melted petrol boys.

I'm the opposite. I sweat sat down.

I'm big-ish though, 17 stone 4lb but carry it reasonably being over 6ft...just the heat ruins me and I get paranoid that I smell.

Could I have picked a worse climate...

Bahtatboy Apr 12th 2011 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 9300501)
I'm the opposite. I sweat sat down.

I'm big-ish though, 17 stone 4lb but carry it reasonably being over 6ft...just the heat ruins me and I get paranoid that I smell.

Could I have picked a worse climate...

India might suit you better.

scrubbedexpat141 Apr 12th 2011 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 9300507)
India might suit you better.

Why's that?

Blue Cat Apr 12th 2011 1:11 pm

Work is interesting.

lol keep the delivery man in a job :)

Blue Cat Apr 12th 2011 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 9300510)
Why's that?

most Indian taxi drivers smell sweaty