British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Religious Law / 'Human' Law (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/religious-law-human-law-807087/)

scrubbedexpat141 Aug 25th 2013 9:22 am

Religious Law / 'Human' Law

Read here - BBC article

Very interesting, especially near the end about Egypt and the fact that religious laws endure, more human laws adapt.

britexpat76 Aug 25th 2013 10:55 am

Re: Religious Law / 'Human' Law

A good piece to be fair, without going into the nonsense that is Sharia and the 1200 year old laws that have no place in a modern world.

I doubt it will ever change though.

Norm_uk Aug 27th 2013 11:17 am

No such thing as religious law. It's simply laws made a very long time ago that some people feel are perfect and never need to change.

Religions that can't adapt will eventually die out.

N.

Millhouse Aug 27th 2013 11:25 am

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 10871815)
Religions that can't adapt will eventually die out.

Bold statement, Norm. Current evidence suggest the opposite with them thriving ...

britexpat76 Aug 27th 2013 11:50 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10871830)
Bold statement, Norm. Current evidence suggest the opposite with them thriving ...

Scarily true. Though any religion that you are born into and not allowed to leave can surely only grow, especially as the women are generally seen as baby machines and there is something wrong with you if you remain childless.

shiva Aug 27th 2013 3:50 pm

I'll just leave this here

"Just Thinking about Science Triggers Moral Behavior
Simply being primed with science-related thoughts increased a) adherence to moral norms, b) real-life future altruistic intentions, and c) altruistic behavior towards an anonymous other. The conceptual association between science and morality appears strong"

Bahtatboy Aug 27th 2013 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 10872317)
I'll just leave this here

"Just Thinking about Science Triggers Moral Behavior
Simply being primed with science-related thoughts increased a) adherence to moral norms, b) real-life future altruistic intentions, and c) altruistic behavior towards an anonymous other. The conceptual association between science and morality appears strong"

I tried that. I warmed up with a few simple quadratic equations, solved my Rubik's cube, watched some clips of David Attenborough on YouTube, and then tried to decipher the process flow in a power plant. I then looked at Cheryl's flowery arse again. No change. :unsure:

Norm_uk Aug 28th 2013 9:29 am

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 10871874)
Scarily true. Though any religion that you are born into and not allowed to leave can surely only grow, especially as the women are generally seen as baby machines and there is something wrong with you if you remain childless.

Only one religion I know of doesn't allow the follower to leave by proscribing the death penalty for apostasy. The only other group I can think of that you can't leave without risking death is the Mafia.

N.

Yoohoo Aug 28th 2013 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 10873679)
Only one religion I know of doesn't allow the follower to leave by proscribing the death penalty for apostasy. The only other group I can think of that you can't leave without risking death is the Mafia.

N.

Very well said Norm. Even Catholics and Mormons let you leave - although they insist on excommunication as the method.