Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Relief Effort underway in UAE after worst storm in years.

Relief Effort underway in UAE after worst storm in years.

Old Nov 24th 2013, 12:01 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Relief Effort underway in UAE after worst storm in years.

http://www.panarabiaenquirer.com/wor...torm-in-years/
Old Nov 24th 2013, 12:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relief Effort underway in UAE after worst storm in years.

I've never seen anything like the storm in Musandam this weekend. I've had to steam wash the car today due to the cement caked on it from driving through flooded RAK
Old Nov 24th 2013, 12:30 pm
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Well I dont know about worst ever but I had to go to disco gardens this friday and it took us 40 minutes to get off off the flyover from SZR onto the Mall's back side, just to find the roads totally flooded. It wasnt knee high so all drivers with common sense were able to navigate through slowly but then some idiot in a bmw went ahead and stalled his car in the middle and after that it was chaos. Had to turn around after that. Why dont the city planning (or whichever department) guys invest in a proper drainage system? Instead of throwing money away on crazy schemes! If these guys ever get to see one of the monsoon rains we get to see, they would just call it the Apocalypse!
Old Nov 24th 2013, 12:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

It was so wet, I had to use low range 4WD to go through a puddle this morning! I never knew what that little lever did before, and needed to read the handbook to find out! Never read the handbook before either! A day of firsts all round!
Old Nov 25th 2013, 2:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Rain last weekend? No problem.

Rain this weekend (Sevens)???? No thank you ..........
Old Nov 25th 2013, 4:02 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
Rain last weekend? No problem.

Rain this weekend (Sevens)???? No thank you ..........
it was quite fun getting drenched last year
Old Nov 25th 2013, 5:57 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

The drains are designed correctly and are adequate for the job. The problem is when they are completed and handed over to the Client. This generally happens along with a nice shiny maintenance manual which is promptly ditched. As such, the drains sit there all summer slowly getting more and more choked with sand and so reducing capacity and no maintenance is ever undertaken. Then when the rain comes they flood.

Olejanx.... why would 4 low help you? 4 high maybe at a push.

If driving in floods the best way to go is at a medium pace (not too slow and not too fast). This allows a bow wave to form which actually leads to a lower level behind it (your engine bay). Then when you get out the flood dab your brakes. Never turn off your engine if the water level is higher than your exhaust. Keep it running at all costs. Prior to attempting any floods find out where your air intake is. If it's a Saab or anything sporty it's likely to be low down (cold air found closer to the road is denser and so can carry more fuel so gives more power). If low down just don't even attempt it.

As for the damage. I was in RAK yesterday on one of our projects in the mountains assessing the damage and it is unbelievable. After crossing three section of washed out road on the way to the site what I saw when I arrived truly shocked me. The damage is easily > 10 million AED. It must have been full on mental up there!
Old Nov 25th 2013, 6:10 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Do people still drive Saabs?

My old boss used to say when the floods came bodies of murdered TCNs dumped in the drains tend to resurface
Old Nov 25th 2013, 6:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jam25mack
The drains are designed correctly and are adequate for the job. The problem is when they are completed and handed over to the Client. This generally happens along with a nice shiny maintenance manual which is promptly ditched. As such, the drains sit there all summer slowly getting more and more choked with sand and so reducing capacity and no maintenance is ever undertaken. Then when the rain comes they flood.

Olejanx.... why would 4 low help you? 4 high maybe at a push.

If driving in floods the best way to go is at a medium pace (not too slow and not too fast). This allows a bow wave to form which actually leads to a lower level behind it (your engine bay). Then when you get out the flood dab your brakes. Never turn off your engine if the water level is higher than your exhaust. Keep it running at all costs. Prior to attempting any floods find out where your air intake is. If it's a Saab or anything sporty it's likely to be low down (cold air found closer to the road is denser and so can carry more fuel so gives more power). If low down just don't even attempt it.

As for the damage. I was in RAK yesterday on one of our projects in the mountains assessing the damage and it is unbelievable. After crossing three section of washed out road on the way to the site what I saw when I arrived truly shocked me. The damage is easily > 10 million AED. It must have been full on mental up there!
It was awesome in RAK. I hammered through some flooded areas to a have Mini Millhouse say 'brilliant' as a sign of approval.
Old Nov 25th 2013, 6:44 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by saudiflares
Do people still drive Saabs?
Dunno, I just know they are renowned for having a really low air intake.

Originally Posted by Millhouse
It was awesome in RAK. I hammered through some flooded areas to a have Mini Millhouse say 'brilliant' as a sign of approval.
Awesome! I should have taken my Jeep out in it! Although I have kinda been ignoring it as the roof is off at the moment. Haven't checked if the bikini and the duster did the needful in the rain..... thinking the amp situated on the floor behind the front seats may now be fubared!
Old Nov 25th 2013, 7:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OleJanx
It was so wet, I had to use low range 4WD to go through a puddle this morning! I never knew what that little lever did before, and needed to read the handbook to find out! Never read the handbook before either! A day of firsts all round!
You have low range on your 4WD; Sir your mancard is safe for the moment.
Old Nov 25th 2013, 7:47 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by saudiflares
it was quite fun getting drenched last year
True that, especially when the lights went out in the Heineken tent...
Old Nov 25th 2013, 7:49 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone issued or received force majeure notices yet?
Old Nov 25th 2013, 10:05 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Anyone issued or received force majeure notices yet?
I work in all the conditions that would satisfy force majeure on a daily basis, I am thinking it will take a nuclear event before I can invoke the clause.
Old Nov 25th 2013, 10:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
I work in all the conditions that would satisfy force majeure on a daily basis, I am thinking it will take a nuclear event before I can invoke the clause.
Many years ago, whilst in Oman, a Portacabin got washed out to sea. Amazing how much troublesome paperwork and laptop computers happened to be in that 'cabin...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.