British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Relatively-Local Free Range Eggs in AD (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/relatively-local-free-range-eggs-ad-669854/)

Bahtatboy May 26th 2010 5:30 pm

Relatively-Local Free Range Eggs in AD

Anybody know if relatively-local free range eggs are available in AD? Currently I get either the Omega 3 ones (which look and taste good but I don't want to think about how the hens are raised), or imported-from-France free range ones (which is a hell of a long way to send an egg).

Cluck.

Inselaffen May 27th 2010 2:46 am

Re: Relatively-Local Free Range Eggs in AD

the company I worked for in Dubai imported corn, soybean meal and other grains/grain products largely for use as food for poultry farms. very little free range about those farms

Millhouse May 27th 2010 4:24 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 8591740)
Anybody know if relatively-local free range eggs are available in AD? Currently I get either the Omega 3 ones (which look and taste good but I don't want to think about how the hens are raised), or imported-from-France free range ones (which is a hell of a long way to send an egg).

Cluck.

We get them in Spinneys - just around the corner from where we live, can't get more local than that.

Bahtatboy May 27th 2010 9:20 am

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse (Post 8592738)
We get them in Spinneys - just around the corner from where we live, can't get more local than that.

"relatively-local" as in PRODUCED relatively-locally you dumb cluck:D

flares May 27th 2010 10:51 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 8593099)
"relatively-local" as in PRODUCED relatively-locally you dumb cluck:D

Can you not get eggs from the homemade chicken runs that you find cobbled together between the mid rise towers in downtown Abu D?

Definitely used to be one by Airlines resto.

seven seas May 27th 2010 3:34 pm

I buy free range eggs- when I remember. let me update you when I next see them at my supermarket and I will have more details.

hnd May 27th 2010 7:35 pm

A bit off topic but have read and heard so much about the Organic Food place in Dubai. Then read that all their stuff, if imported, has to be sprayed to avoid importing veg disease into the UAE. Does anyone know if this is true?

TBH, having looked at their prices I'll take my chances with the locally (well, regionally produced) veg.

And it's not just the veggies - up to 100dhs for a 1.5kg - 2kg chicken? We have no children so we're probably beyond saving but something approaching GBP20 for a chicken ... puleeeese.:blink:

seven seas May 29th 2010 4:44 am

www.aljazirapoultry.com

Norm_uk May 30th 2010 11:33 am

Originally Posted by hnd (Post 8594293)
A bit off topic but have read and heard so much about the Organic Food place in Dubai. Then read that all their stuff, if imported, has to be sprayed to avoid importing veg disease into the UAE. Does anyone know if this is true?

TBH, having looked at their prices I'll take my chances with the locally (well, regionally produced) veg.

And it's not just the veggies - up to 100dhs for a 1.5kg - 2kg chicken? We have no children so we're probably beyond saving but something approaching GBP20 for a chicken ... puleeeese.:blink:

Organic food is a huge con...couldn't even feed a quarter of the planet if we all went back to the latest farming techniques of the 12th century (when food bourne parasites were all the rage and starvation was the norm).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhBKtjDtTVk

N.

Meow May 30th 2010 11:38 am

I know someone who claims to only buy organic produce, but drinks heavily and smokes 20 cigs a day. Now that's pointless.

I'd quite like to keep a few chickens, but not sure it's do down so well with neighbours or my cats. A friend in the UK has three - called Nugget, Popcorn and Kiev.

(Yes, I am bored today)
-

Norm_uk May 30th 2010 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 8599374)
I know someone who claims to only buy organic produce, but drinks heavily and smokes 20 cigs a day. Now that's pointless.

I'd quite like to keep a few chickens, but not sure it's do down so well with neighbours or my cats. A friend in the UK has three - called Nugget, Popcorn and Kiev.

(Yes, I am bored today)
-

Perhaps they are organic cigarettes?

seven seas May 30th 2010 3:37 pm

-

Not exactly. It's still healthier than someone who eats crappy food and smokes and drinks heavily.

I know someone who works out three times a week and does a 600 metre swim five days a week but drinks heavily and smokes 20 a day.
Pointless?

seven seas May 30th 2010 3:38 pm

I'd quite like to keep a few chickens, but not sure it's do down so well with neighbours or my cats.
-

The cats would probably LOVE you for it.

seven seas May 30th 2010 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 8599361)
Organic food is a huge con...couldn't even feed a quarter of the planet if we all went back to the latest farming techniques of the 12th century (when food bourne parasites were all the rage and starvation was the norm).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhBKtjDtTVk

N.

When I eat organic food, I don't actually care if it could feed a quarter of the world. But does it claim to do that?

Isn't that a bit like saying Mars bars are a con, because trhere aren't enough to feed the whole world?

Bijilo123 May 30th 2010 3:49 pm

We farm in Gambia organically - as do all of our neighbours. Simply none of them can afford chemicals (or even seeds for that matter) and they have developed coping tools to maximise organic growth. But it only feeds them. Organic is a necessity!