Referendum in Egypt

Old Dec 24th 2012, 10:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Referendum in Egypt

Remember all that Hooha in the Media about "The Arab Spring" ? Democracy reaches the Arab World, bla, bla, bla.

Are we REALLY surprised that the Islamists have won ?
Old Dec 25th 2012, 12:31 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Referendum in Egypt

No.
There's more of 'em
Simples
Old Dec 25th 2012, 5:17 am
Forum Regular

Ash786 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scot47
Remember all that Hooha in the Media about "The Arab Spring" ? Democracy reaches the Arab World, bla, bla, bla.

Are we REALLY surprised that the Islamists have won ?
Have to agree. The western governments must be pretty embarrassed by it all having given unconditional support to the "rebels". Mubarrak for all his faults was a buffer against the extremists, once he was deposed, it was obvious the people were going to vote for the complete opposite of what they had before - so entered the Muslim Brotherhood who had been banned previously. Same thing will happen in Syria I fear, which perhaps explains why the West are a little bit more cautious about giving too much help
Old Dec 27th 2012, 5:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

Why is noone still talking about Sayyib Quttb? He should be mentioned more by the media and all the people who want to discuss the MBH in Egypt and rise of islamism in general.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sayyid_Qutb

The west can thank itself for its support to tyrannical dictators with the current state of islamism. It's never effectively been dealt with, just suppressed. Ideas are not defeated with prisons and torture.

Last edited by Paracletus; Dec 27th 2012 at 6:00 pm.
Old Dec 27th 2012, 7:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

The media take the easy way and give you a minute or two - with clips of locals being interviewed in English. Meanwhile, upcountry the "Ikhwan" have plans.

The Islamists in the Brotherhood and orther organisations actually DO things for poor people. If I were an ordinary Egyptian on an average income, I would vote for them too ! It is a bit like voting for Tammany Hall if you are in a low income area of New York in the 1930s or 1940s. You have problems, you go and see the "Ward Boss"

Last edited by scot47; Dec 27th 2012 at 8:16 pm.
Old Dec 27th 2012, 11:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by scot47
The media take the easy way and give you a minute or two - with clips of locals being interviewed in English. Meanwhile, upcountry the "Ikhwan" have plans.

The Islamists in the Brotherhood and orther organisations actually DO things for poor people. If I were an ordinary Egyptian on an average income, I would vote for them too ! It is a bit like voting for Tammany Hall if you are in a low income area of New York in the 1930s or 1940s. You have problems, you go and see the "Ward Boss"
Much like we are seeing in Greece with those boys in Golden Dawn today.

I wonder what the middle east will look like if Egypt first, possibly an overthrow in Syria soon..and who knows, Jordan seems uneasy. A friend of mine is reporting in Syria, met alot of refugees there who are hell bent not to end up like the palestinians. Mostly christians. Then of course, there's Libya, Tunisia and whatever turmoil in the region we don't hear much if anything about. Interesting times.