British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Recruitment folk (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/recruitment-folk-790405/)

jam25mack Mar 13th 2013 4:28 pm

Recruitment folk

1 Attachment(s)
After all there CV horror threads, how would you recruitment folk react to seeing something like this as an addition to a CV?

As a Geologist I think it's pretty clever, and would say that to Geo employers it would be seen in a positive light.

Opinions?

Sandboy Mar 13th 2013 4:32 pm

Re: Recruitment folk

I really like it

and he went to Durham so must be a good lad

britexpat76 Mar 13th 2013 4:33 pm

I like it. Beats the usual cluster**** of jumbled letters I normally receive.

flares Mar 13th 2013 4:38 pm

no onelikes a girly swot

jam25mack Mar 13th 2013 5:00 pm

I think it shows something a bit different, especially as it is directly linked to our profession.

Bob Mar 13th 2013 5:34 pm

From friends in the design area, it goes two ways...

Chucked in the bin straight away as it's to much hassle to quickly scan the info/copy info.

Or does get noticed...but mostly for people who don't have any experience, so fresh grads looking for internships.

When at uni, we all had to do these naff designery type of CV's and they cost a fortune and most were just ignored.

Bahtatboy Mar 13th 2013 10:45 pm

Cool.

TheShed Mar 14th 2013 2:55 am

I know nothing about geology, but the design made me read it because it spiked an instant interest as it was different.

I like it a lot.

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 14th 2013 3:29 am

Delete.

Do some ****ing work instead of spending forever making that.

shiva Mar 14th 2013 4:59 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10602660)
Delete.

Do some ****ing work instead of spending forever making that.

Disagree completely. Its cleverly field related and will stand out. Put in the further stages pile

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 14th 2013 5:02 am

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 10602726)
Disagree completely. Its cleverly field related and will stand out. Put in the further stages pile

Sorry, you're right. I'd forward it round the office first for a laugh.

99.9% of the world isn't wrong in writing normal CVs. Gimmicks are great, but what if the company looking at him need to present a CV to the client - they'll have to re-write the entire thing.

If the agency receiving that wants to send it out, it'll need completely re-writing.

It lacks real detail and is built entirely around a rainbow stripe.

Sorry, but it's bollocks.

shiva Mar 14th 2013 5:15 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10602728)
Sorry, you're right. I'd forward it round the office first for a laugh.

99.9% of the world isn't wrong in writing normal CVs. Gimmicks are great, but what if the company looking at him need to present a CV to the client - they'll have to re-write the entire thing.

If the agency receiving that wants to send it out, it'll need completely re-writing.

It lacks real detail and is built entirely around a rainbow stripe.

Sorry, but it's bollocks.

Op said in "addition to a cv", and never re write a cv, get the ****er to do it themselves, if they cant, bye bye.

the rainbow stripe is akin to a geological timeline mate, hence cleverly related to the job.
http://essayweb.net/geology/timeline/images/ICS.gif

youre right about 99% but a well done and different cv is worth a second look, IF its related to the job and or witty in some way.
A million fancy fonts and colours or even including comic sans then NO

its quite common in the US now for certain jobs to require a different cv format, including video cv's, web pages etc
eg if you're going for a design job then an online cv/portfolio is a quick and easy tool to use to show an employer or recruiter your cv and skills.

if however your going for a field service engineers job and you send a video link then you can **** right off

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 14th 2013 5:20 am

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 10602736)
Op said in "addition to a cv", and never re write a cv, get the ****er to do it themselves, if they cant, bye bye.

the rainbow stripe is akin to a geological timeline mate, hence cleverly related to the job.
http://essayweb.net/geology/timeline/images/ICS.gif

youre right about 99% but a well done and different cv is worth a second look, IF its related to the job and or witty in some way.
A million fancy fonts and colours or even including comic sans then NO

its quite common in the US now for certain jobs to require a different cv format, including video cv's, web pages etc
eg if you're going for a design job then an online cv/portfolio is a quick and easy tool to use to show an employer or recruiter your cv and skills.

if however your going for a field service engineers job and you send a video link then you can **** right off

I know I was quite blunt, but I agree with what you say here.

It's a very Linkedin blog/American/fluffy idea.

At the end of the day it's personal preference.

shiva Mar 14th 2013 5:25 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10602740)
I know I was quite blunt, but I agree with what you say here.

It's a very Linkedin blog/American/fluffy idea.
which in 99% of cases is a really really bad idea

At the end of the day it's personal preference.

and thankfully most choose not to exercise this. i once had a cv from a Jordanian who thought it was a good idea to do his entire cv like the google logo with every word in a different colour and font. Now thats a bin job right there

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 14th 2013 6:10 am

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 10602745)
and thankfully most choose not to exercise this. i once had a cv from a Jordanian who thought it was a good idea to do his entire cv like the google logo with every word in a different colour and font. Now thats a bin job right there

Oh yeah, without doubt.

My little finger on my right hand is ****ing brutal, when it's not pressing enter it is smashing that little delete button.