Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Recent Great Inventions

Recent Great Inventions

Old Dec 3rd 2012, 10:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recent Great Inventions

Bahtatboy- yes it is- taken from an article I wrote
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 10:21 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1
Bahtatboy- yes it is- taken from an article I wrote
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 10:22 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
Sky+/Tivo and the like.
Such a good shout.

Originally Posted by Meow
facebook. You can slag it off but it's a great way of keeping in vague touch with a load of people.

Google. How did we manage before it?!

Golden Syrup in squeezy bottles

WiFi

Cheap disposable contact lenses
All excellent calls. Facebook is massively useful, just like google and syrup and wifi and contacts (Mum loves them)
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 10:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

I know its hard to believe as I can't get through once sentence without a typo or grammatical error, but when I try I'm not that bad you know
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 10:34 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

the Internet, i'm a confessed online junkie both for work and pleasure and we are still really only scratching the surface of its potential.

Google even if it does return results on less than 20% of the content online. See dark web

Facebook, love it or hate it its a monstrous force

WiFi and 3g/4g, mobile online connections. ****ing awesome

Mobile then smart phones,
Not long after text messaging became available and was still pretty unheard of, I remember selling a young deaf guy and his parents two of the then latest nokia phones (yes they and everybody else thought I was not only mental but a total shit at first) .

They all cried when I demonstrated an sms from his phone to theirs. I will never forget the moment of realisation that I witnessed. Technology allowing him to tell his folks he'd had a good day or got where he was going safely changed their lives immediately and immensely. To be honest I actually think it changed mine as well. We all use these devices to check meaningless shit but for some the technology has changed lives completely and allowed them access to the world and a life that simply would have been impossible before.

there are so many really and most are used to the detriment of society but for me its the Internet and mobile connections that have changed the world

oh and lithium ion batteries
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 10:38 am
BE Forum Addict

LaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond repute

Spray tanning.
Facebook.
iTunes.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 10:45 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LaLaLayla
Spray tanning.

iTunes.
im not sure which makes me despair more
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 11:06 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by shiva
the Internet, i'm a confessed online junkie both for work and pleasure and we are still really only scratching the surface of its potential.

Google even if it does return results on less than 20% of the content online. See dark web

Facebook, love it or hate it its a monstrous force

WiFi and 3g/4g, mobile online connections. ****ing awesome

Mobile then smart phones,
Not long after text messaging became available and was still pretty unheard of, I remember selling a young deaf guy and his parents two of the then latest nokia phones (yes they and everybody else thought I was not only mental but a total shit at first) .

They all cried when I demonstrated an sms from his phone to theirs. I will never forget the moment of realisation that I witnessed. Technology allowing him to tell his folks he'd had a good day or got where he was going safely changed their lives immediately and immensely. To be honest I actually think it changed mine as well. We all use these devices to check meaningless shit but for some the technology has changed lives completely and allowed them access to the world and a life that simply would have been impossible before.

there are so many really and most are used to the detriment of society but for me its the Internet and mobile connections that have changed the world

oh and lithium ion batteries
Good story that one, nice to hear those sorts of things having worked in a phone shop and seen similar reactions.

Similar to 3g/4g/mobile internet, I'm always amazed (when I sit and think about it) when I play FIFA or Call of Duty on my PS3 against either mates in the UK or strangers around the world. Mind blowing shit.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 11:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Come off it guys - you can't list Skype, e-mail, Facebook, etc as different inventions - they are all a branch of the same thing (it's like saying phones and faxes are 'different' - I know what you mean but it's just a variation on the same theme).

As much as I hate the pompous, self-aggrandising prat, I'd have to say some of James Dyson's inventions have been remarkable (although his 'bagless' vacuum cleaner and 'counter-revolving' washing machine are arguably just reinventions of other things which already existed).

What I can never understand is why, when amazing things are invented, they are put into use for a while, and then dispensed with......... (Concorde, Space Shuttle, etc).
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 11:56 am
**** it we'll do it live

Originally Posted by The Dean
Come off it guys - you can't list Skype, e-mail, Facebook, etc as different inventions - they are all a branch of the same thing (it's like saying phones and faxes are 'different' - I know what you mean but it's just a variation on the same theme).

As much as I hate the pompous, self-aggrandising prat, I'd have to say some of James Dyson's inventions have been remarkable (although his 'bagless' vacuum cleaner and 'counter-revolving' washing machine are arguably just reinventions of other things which already existed).

What I can never understand is why, when amazing things are invented, they are put into use for a while, and then dispensed with......... (Concorde, Space Shuttle, etc).

err they are different things requiring distinctly separate innovations to develop.
what your saying is akin to saying the phone, fax and internet are no different to the telegraph which is essentially no different to semaphore.

you also contradict yourself spectacularly in the next paragraph and miss the entire point of technological evolution in the third, whilst demonstrating this with particularly bad examples
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 11:59 am
Account Closed

Hadron Collider?
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 12:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

LaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
Too expensive. I often think that Etihad should resurrect the Concorde. They've got the cash. They'd have to modernise it and stuff, but I think it would be great.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 12:07 pm
**** it we'll do it live

Originally Posted by Scamp
Hadron Collider?
i'd agree but particle colliders have been around since the 60's so fall outwith your 20 years
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 12:11 pm
Account Closed

i'd agree but particle colliders have been around since the 60's so fall outwith your 20 years
Didn't know that, thanks.

Cloud computing / shit being stored on iCloud
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 12:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

err they are different things requiring distinctly separate innovations to develop.
what your saying is akin to saying the phone, fax and internet are no different to the telegraph which is essentially no different to semaphore.

you also contradict yourself spectacularly in the next paragraph and miss the entire point of technological evolution in the third, whilst demonstrating this with particularly bad examples
No - I separately mentioned the internet - that's unarguable. I also acknowledged Dyson had come up with some spectacularly new stuff, not just reinvented a hoover, etc.

The final paragraph was just a general sadness - not necessarily appropriate for this thread, admittedly, but what are you suggesting has evolved beyond Concorde, Space Shuttle, etc? Supersonic airliner travel.... a reusable spaceship...... difficult to improve upon I think.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.