British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Really? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/really-738864/)

Meow Nov 14th 2011 12:30 pm

Re: Really?

Originally Posted by Alexa (Post 9731816)
So, it's all "good fun and tongue in cheek"? Ok, thanks for letting me know, I will remember that from now on.
I just hope this does not end up being a one way street...

Well most of it. Idiots are idiots, no matter where they are from. ;)

Ask a Brit his view of the French or Italians some time...

Alexa Nov 14th 2011 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 9731824)
Well most of it. Idiots are idiots, no matter where they are from. ;)

Ask a Brit his view of the French or Italians some time...

Or Germans, for that matter.
I know the opinions...have heard them all.

co durham boy Nov 14th 2011 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by Alexa (Post 9731831)

Or Qatari's ;)

Meow Nov 14th 2011 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by Alexa (Post 9731831)

But you need to separate the stereotype from the personal. Most of us make jokey comments about other nationalities, but know individuals that we like. It really is very rarely personal.

:)

And don't tell me that Americans and Germans never make comments about other nationalities.

Alexa Nov 14th 2011 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 9731836)
But you need to separate the stereotype from the personal. Most of us make jokey comments about other nationalities, but know individuals that we like. It really is very rarely personal.

:)

And don't tell me that Americans and Germans never make comments about other nationalities.

Well.....it has been personal..experienced it myself. BUT, that is rare, no question.

And you are right, Germans as Americans DO make jokes about there nationalities..Germans about Austrians, and then there are the "Beaners" and Canadians in America.
I think this just cropped up for me because here it is mostly Americans..I am not a member on German or American chat boards...but f they are there, then similar things probably happen.

guuuude Nov 16th 2011 8:40 am

So where is the problem to make jokes of each other???

In germany we even make jokes about the pope AND?? i mean its a joke and make people laugh which is good.

In Dubai i have some local friends which call me bloody german and there is everytime something in returnm so whaT??

Try to relax.:thumbsup:

iamthestig Nov 16th 2011 10:38 am

Originally Posted by Alexa (Post 9731600)
I thought for quite some time about posting this or not. In the end , I decided to do it..albeit having to most probably to face ridicule etc.

I have been reading different threads for a some time now.
Usually most people on this site are posting intelligently, balanced and funny, informative and helpful posts.

What has transpired for me lately is the utter generalization and ridicule of American people, their country, language and culture. (Yes I know, several people on here believe they have neither).

I find this sad, annoying and simply wrong.

Sure, there are people in the US who are "boorish oafs, rednecks" etc.
No question about it.
I encountered them..in the US, in the ME...you name it.
I also encountered such people in the UK, in Germany etc.....

Don't you think you make yourself look pretty stupid by displaying such lack of knowledge,insight and intelligence by posting such ,IMHO, dumb and uneccessary generalizations?
I think you do.

I am , at this time, pretty fed up with the "opinions" certain people here display.

As the one who recently called the yanks boorish oafs, I'm guessing you were having a dig at me?

We are all entitled to our opinions, and if you don't like them, feel free to offer an alternative view.

kittycat1 Nov 16th 2011 10:39 am

yuck @ germans...

guuuude Nov 16th 2011 10:46 am

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 9736086)
yuck @ germans...

:eek:.......:thumbsup:

Alexa Nov 16th 2011 11:13 am

Originally Posted by iamthestig (Post 9736081)
As the one who recently called the yanks boorish oafs, I'm guessing you were having a dig at me?

We are all entitled to our opinions, and if you don't like them, feel free to offer an alternative view.

Naa, I don't do digs. I just remember reading certain things..posted by who makes no difference to me.
I did not post that thread to be personal about people, it was the general stand on things that made me post it.
Just thought I'd make that clear....as we Germans a pretty up front...:D

Alexa Nov 16th 2011 11:14 am

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 9736086)
yuck @ germans...

vomit @ Brits :D

guuuude Nov 16th 2011 11:19 am

Originally Posted by Alexa (Post 9736128)
Just thought I'd make that clear....as we Germans a pretty up front...:D

Ja immer geradeaus ;-)

guuuude Nov 16th 2011 11:23 am

But to be fair, the germans are not realy famous for their fine sense of humour ;-)

We was sitting on the bbq spot somewhere in the Swihan area, i had three germans students with me, when we was driving home the complained about the jokes (bloody germans blabla)

I guess its typical german to be fast offended about such a jokes.

Alexa Nov 16th 2011 11:28 am

Originally Posted by guuuude (Post 9736145)
But to be fair, the germans are not realy famous for their fine sense of humour ;-)

We was sitting on the bbq spot somewhere in the Swihan area, i had three germans students with me, when we was driving home the complained about the jokes (bloody germans blabla)

I guess its typical german to be fast offended about such a jokes.

yes, I suppose...just like Indians just love it when others laugh when they hear names like "Sonia Dipshit".....or was that Dickshit...can't quite recall....

I belive it is fine when we make jokes about our own countries and cultures...when others do it, it usually is fine to a certain extent,IMHO. At some point though it gets a little tedious, don't you think?

Alexa Nov 16th 2011 11:29 am

Originally Posted by guuuude (Post 9736141)
Ja immer geradeaus ;-)

Is that what you do? Bit boring, don't you think?:rofl: