Really?

Old Apr 3rd 2012, 3:42 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Really?

Originally Posted by Alexa
Ah...a movie grates you? Wow! Well, each to their own
Anyhow, see, the good thing is that you have a choice, a. you decide what bothers you (which apparently is the USA, its citizens and all that comes with it.

b. You never have to go there! You do not have to listen to any of it, and you do not have to watch American movies!

Isn't it fabulous to have choices?

What grates me is hollywood ignores anything factually accurate in their war movies and the viewers in america all of a sudden think tom hanks and his mates liberated france...
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 4:04 pm
Banned

Dexter Manley has a spectacular aura aboutDexter Manley has a spectacular aura aboutDexter Manley has a spectacular aura about

Yes, most of the main stream movies made in the U.S are nonsense, but

on balance we can say that America stands for and exercises a large number of hugely important principles, many of which support, uphold and encourage basic human rights. In many ways it is worthy of immense respect, though not, perhaps more than is the case for, say, Australia, Belgium or South Korea. Of course many of these countries would lie under the yoke of tyranny were it not for the efforts of the allies during the Second World War (and arguably the Korean War also), and naturally the United States was a mighty, central and essential player in this combined effort. Similarly, the (perhaps self-interested) efforts of America to prop up economically and philosophically the fledgling democracies and recovering nations of Europe and Asia saved the world from a new Dark Ages.

And of course, without America, Stalin may well have succeeded where Hitler failed.
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 6:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britexpat76
What grates me is hollywood ignores anything factually accurate in their war movies and the viewers in america all of a sudden think tom hanks and his mates liberated france...
Oh really? You seem to know some rather strange people...I do not know anybody who thinks that actors in movies are even close to reality.
But hey, there are some strange people in this world....

Btw...have you ever watched a Bollywood movie? If not, best to keep it that way...you might go from grating to a fully fledged rage...:0
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 9:07 pm
Banned

Dexter Manley has a spectacular aura aboutDexter Manley has a spectacular aura aboutDexter Manley has a spectacular aura about

Oh really? You seem to know some rather strange people...I do not know anybody who thinks that actors in movies are even close to reality.

Btw...have you ever watched a Bollywood movie? If not, best to keep it that way...you might go from grating to a fully fledged rage...:0
I have Alexa and it gave me a false impression of daily life in India because when I got off the plane in Delhi a few years ago I fully expected to see a scene like this one at the airport. Boy was I dissapointed.

And if youre going to New York to see Spider man, forget it, I'll save you the trip-he doesn't exist in real life. Got fooled on that one too.
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 9:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dexter Manley
I have Alexa and it gave me a false impression of daily life in India because when I got off the plane in Delhi a few years ago I fully expected to see a scene like this one at the airport. Boy was I dissapointed.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hgelTJGNnDg&feature=related

And if youre going to New York to see Spider man, forget it, I'll save you the trip-he doesn't exist in real life. Got fooled on that one too.
Good thing you told me!
Although I'm a little disappointed now.....Well, there is always the Big Apple, at least I can take a good bite out of that one .
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 9:17 pm
Banned

Good thing you told me!
Although I'm a little disappointed now.....Well, there is always the Big Apple, at least I can take a good bite out of that one .
Don't expect to see Batman..He's only in the movies too
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Don't expect to see Batman..He's only in the movies too
Please don't tell me there is no Big Apple either!
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 9:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Please don't tell me there is no Big Apple either!
No, only a rotten core...
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 9:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by OleJanx
No, only a rotten core...
Ah, the anglophile Scandinavian...of course!
Old Apr 4th 2012, 2:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

One of my best friends is American, he hates it. But for good reason. I lived in the states, I hated it. But I was recently back, and it really struck me just how black and white it was. I think alot of the problems are Europeans looking to Americans and thinking they will be the same. Americans get pissed of abour lack of being upfront, we get intimidated by their frankness..They have, in a short a time as their country has been in existence, developed a culture and history. It might not be 5000 years old, but it's there. If I wanted to pick a city to go eat in, it would be New York. And the north west has figured out beer, and they do have some ****ing fantastic creative people making things now which are just awesome...like music, unlike the dead dude previously hinted at. I thank America for Jazz and Blues..google, nasa, carl sagan, bill hicks, The Daily Show, The Colbert Report, The Doors, 1st gen ford mustangs, california, arnold schwarzenegger, naom chomsky, martin luther king jr., Mark Twain, tupperware, insinkirator, eddison, and probably alot of other things and people. Like everything in life, it's not a matter of black and white. I hate chavs, but I don't hate the country of my birth.

I am not into their political ideas however, and I am not into their idea of society..
Old Apr 4th 2012, 4:40 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Paracletus
I am not into their political ideas however, and I am not into their idea of society..
I wonder which ideas you are talking about? When I lived there I lived next to a college professor* from Norway, a blue collar worker* from Milwaukee, a Marine* from Texas and a 90 year old woman from Nebraska and they all had different ideas.

* and his family
Old Apr 4th 2012, 5:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

I wonder which ideas you are talking about? When I lived there I lived next to a college professor* from Norway, a blue collar worker* from Milwaukee, a Marine* from Texas and a 90 year old woman from Nebraska and they all had different ideas.

* and his family
Lived next to this white family who were not into the idea of us giving money to the black family's son next door to mow the lawn. They were doctors, white family were mechanics..in norway where I live now, this is normal behaviour

They didn't like i.

I am all for american multiculturalism..this is what they have right. Diversity is only how you love america, at least for me. Hell..having recently road triped from NY to NC..I saw small hints at it.
Old Apr 4th 2012, 9:03 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, most of the main stream movies made in the U.S are nonsense, but

on balance we can say that America stands for and exercises a large number of hugely important principles, many of which support, uphold and encourage basic human rights. In many ways it is worthy of immense respect, though not, perhaps more than is the case for, say, Australia, Belgium or South Korea. Of course many of these countries would lie under the yoke of tyranny were it not for the efforts of the allies during the Second World War (and arguably the Korean War also), and naturally the United States was a mighty, central and essential player in this combined effort. Similarly, the (perhaps self-interested) efforts of America to prop up economically and philosophically the fledgling democracies and recovering nations of Europe and Asia saved the world from a new Dark Ages.

And of course, without America, Stalin may well have succeeded where Hitler failed.
I shall remove myself from this thread, how you can make that statement astounds me. I will leave this to think about when you mention Human Rights.

1) Death Penalty
2) Any war it decides to enter. (Alone)
3) Guantanamo Bay
Old Apr 4th 2012, 9:18 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britexpat76
I shall remove myself from this thread, how you can make that statement astounds me. I will leave this to think about when you mention Human Rights.

1) Death Penalty
2) Any war it decides to enter. (Alone)
3) Guantanamo Bay
(and some other hugely important principles):
4) Free trade
5) One man one vote
6) The rights of sovereign states to conduct their affairs as they see fit

Last edited by Bahtatboy; Apr 4th 2012 at 9:22 am.
Old Apr 4th 2012, 10:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

I would think that Bollywood movies can be effectively used as a form of torture.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.