Really?

Old Nov 14th 2011, 9:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Really?

I thought for quite some time about posting this or not. In the end , I decided to do it..albeit having to most probably to face ridicule etc.

I have been reading different threads for a some time now.
Usually most people on this site are posting intelligently, balanced and funny, informative and helpful posts.

What has transpired for me lately is the utter generalization and ridicule of American people, their country, language and culture. (Yes I know, several people on here believe they have neither).

I find this sad, annoying and simply wrong.

Sure, there are people in the US who are "boorish oafs, rednecks" etc.
No question about it.
I encountered them..in the US, in the ME...you name it.
I also encountered such people in the UK, in Germany etc.....

Don't you think you make yourself look pretty stupid by displaying such lack of knowledge,insight and intelligence by posting such ,IMHO, dumb and uneccessary generalizations?
I think you do.

I am , at this time, pretty fed up with the "opinions" certain people here display.
Old Nov 14th 2011, 10:13 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Really?

Originally Posted by Alexa
I thought for quite some time about posting this or not. In the end , I decided to do it..albeit having to most probably to face ridicule etc.

I have been reading different threads for a some time now.
Usually most people on this site are posting intelligently, balanced and funny, informative and helpful posts.

What has transpired for me lately is the utter generalization and ridicule of American people, their country, language and culture. (Yes I know, several people on here believe they have neither).

I find this sad, annoying and simply wrong.

Sure, there are people in the US who are "boorish oafs, rednecks" etc.
No question about it.
I encountered them..in the US, in the ME...you name it.
I also encountered such people in the UK, in Germany etc.....

Don't you think you make yourself look pretty stupid by displaying such lack of knowledge,insight and intelligence by posting such ,IMHO, dumb and uneccessary generalizations?
I think you do.

I am , at this time, pretty fed up with the "opinions" certain people here display.
I usually only make fun of Norwegians (and sometimes the British), but I do think that Americans are such easy targets for ridicule. And to be honest I think most of what is posted on here is done in jest. The truly derogatory posts are few and far between..

Good on you for picking up on the issue though. I think it sometimes is very easy to post something without thinking twice about what you are really saying and how others would interpret what you've written.
Old Nov 14th 2011, 10:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by norsk
I usually only make fun of Norwegians (and sometimes the British), but I do think that Americans are such easy targets for ridicule. And to be honest I think most of what is posted on here is done in jest. The truly derogatory posts are few and far between..

Good on you for picking up on the issue though. I think it sometimes is very easy to post something without thinking twice about what you are really saying and how others would interpret what you've written.
Norsk, I am not talking about "tongue in cheek". I am talking about all open ridicule and name calling.

I think , or better said have learned ,what we make fun of in others is a mirror image of ourselves, inside.
I can't really see many Americans making fun of Brits...so really, who does have the last laugh?

And why are Americans "such an easy target for ridicule"?
Because of some TV shows? Hmm, I've seen plenty of Brit shows that make Brits look like idiots.
Old Nov 14th 2011, 10:47 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Norsk, I am not talking about "tongue in cheek". I am talking about all open ridicule and name calling.

I think , or better said have learned ,what we make fun of in others is a mirror image of ourselves, inside.
I can't really see many Americans making fun of Brits...so really, who does have the last laugh?

And why are Americans "such an easy target for ridicule"?
Because of some TV shows? Hmm, I've seen plenty of Brit shows that make Brits look like idiots.
Has there been name calling? Sorry I must have missed that.

I agree with you on the mirror image concept, and think Forrest Gump said it best; "Stupid is as stupid does".

I'm not saying Brits are any better, but the Americans have been at it for years making fun of large parts of their own population through mass media. Reality TV definitely isn't making this situation better, but at least that is a worldwide stupidity phenomenon.

Americans have believed (and most probably still do) that their country is the best on earth and therefore everywhere else should be like it. To be honest we, the rest of the world, are the idiots since we are happy to take on most of their culture (and thereby replace our own).
Old Nov 14th 2011, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Has there been name calling? Sorry I must have missed that.

I agree with you on the mirror image concept, and think Forrest Gump said it best; "Stupid is as stupid does".

I'm not saying Brits are any better, but the Americans have been at it for years making fun of large parts of their own population through mass media. Reality TV definitely isn't making this situation better, but at least that is a worldwide stupidity phenomenon.

Americans have believed (and most probably still do) that their country is the best on earth and therefore everywhere else should be like it. To be honest we, the rest of the world, are the idiots since we are happy to take on most of their culture (and thereby replace our own).
You are right in what you are saying...never the less...I KNOW f many Brits who think being English?British is the best thing on earth...and really, does not every nationality have that tendency?
Yes, we make fun of ourselves, but how do you think it feels if one is constantly pin pointed? And the main point is, generalization.
Like, all Brits have bad teeth, all Brits are ugly etc?
All Germans are dour and serious?
Talking about tv shows....I have seen tv shoes, British ones, and they were not reality tv...like Emmerdale and this other one, East Enders...if THAT does not give ample opportunity to make fun of Brits..well, then I am at a loss!

Another curious thing...no British person has posted on this so far...despite a lot of people having read the post...must be a lot of NON Brits reading this..:P
Old Nov 14th 2011, 11:51 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

You are right in what you are saying...never the less...I KNOW f many Brits who think being English?British is the best thing on earth...and really, does not every nationality have that tendency?
Yes, we make fun of ourselves, but how do you think it feels if one is constantly pin pointed? And the main point is, generalization.
Like, all Brits have bad teeth, all Brits are ugly etc?
All Germans are dour and serious?
Talking about tv shows....I have seen tv shoes, British ones, and they were not reality tv...like Emmerdale and this other one, East Enders...if THAT does not give ample opportunity to make fun of Brits..well, then I am at a loss!

Another curious thing...no British person has posted on this so far...despite a lot of people having read the post...must be a lot of NON Brits reading this..:P
What? EastEnders isn't real? Of course it is..You should be careful or Phil
Mitchell will come for you..
Old Nov 14th 2011, 11:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

I had read it and was going through my old posts to see if I'm guilty as I'm always saying bloody americans and rolling my eyes! I apologize if it was me>> shuffles off tail between her legs...

I've snogged a couple of americans so thats built a few bridges!
Old Nov 14th 2011, 11:56 am
BE Forum Addict

What? EastEnders isn't real? Of course it is..You should be careful or Phil
Mitchell will come for you..
Hahaha....all brawn and UGLY! Bring it on Phil Boy!
Old Nov 14th 2011, 11:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by kittycat1
I had read it and was going through my old posts to see if I'm guilty as I'm always saying bloody americans and rolling my eyes! I apologize if it was me>> shuffles off tail between her legs...

I've snogged a couple of americans so thats built a few bridges!
Noooooooooo......you degraded your body ...letting a "bloody Yank" come near it and errrmm,,,more???The Horror!!!! How could you?????
Old Nov 14th 2011, 12:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Alexa- lol if he has a pulse he's game in my book lol- and if your snogging them they aren't talking... I haven't shagged an american though - the snogging didn't inspire me lol
Old Nov 14th 2011, 12:17 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't shagged an american though - the snogging didn't inspire me lol
That's a shame. Perhaps you need you get your teeth fixed? Then you might have more luck.
Old Nov 14th 2011, 12:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa- lol if he has a pulse he's game in my book lol- and if your snogging them they aren't talking... I haven't shagged an american though - the snogging didn't inspire me lol
Ah....special requirements....they can be met, but you need to know how to "inspire"....
Old Nov 14th 2011, 12:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mallory
That's a shame. Perhaps you need you get your teeth fixed? Then you might have more luck.
She might not have understood...after all , Yanks don't speak English...
Old Nov 14th 2011, 12:21 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

I think the freaky American stalker who keeps coming back to post on BE despite being banned numerous times does Americans no favours.

In most cases I'd suggest that we are just having fun with national stereotypes. It's a very British thing to do, after all we do from region to region in the UK, as this board amply demonstrates.

There are times when Americans make an easy target for ridicule, if you watch the Jerry Springer types shows. The fact that so few have a passport seems odd to so many other nationalities too. The jingoism and assumption from some more vocal types that most people would prefer to be an American is offensive to many. America is a country of many parts and New Yorkers and Californians, for example, are very different to many in the Mid West and bible belt, who are more insular.

Overall, I have found most Americans to be friendly and welcoming. My SiL is one and I adore her. We spend a lot of time ribbing each other, but it's just a heap of fun.

Ask a Brit their views on any foreign nationality and we can all trot out the stereotypes. It doesn't mean we don't like the individuals that we meet, and it is rarely meant seriously. Americans are an easy 'target' as they are pretty visible to the rest of the world. And dare I say, often louder?

EDIT> One other point. I wonder if because we theoretically speak the same language, Brits expect Americans to be similar and we're surprised/disappointed when they are not??

Last edited by Meow; Nov 14th 2011 at 12:23 pm.
Old Nov 14th 2011, 12:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Meow
I think the freaky American stalker who keeps coming back to post on BE despite being banned numerous times does Americans no favours.

In most cases I'd suggest that we are just having fun with national stereotypes. It's a very British thing to do, after all we do from region to region in the UK, as this board amply demonstrates.

There are times when Americans make an easy target for ridicule, if you watch the Jerry Springer types shows. The fact that so few have a passport seems odd to so many other nationalities too. The jingoism and assumption from some more vocal types that most people would prefer to be an American is offensive to many. America is a country of many parts and New Yorkers and Californians, for example, are very different to many in the Mid West and bible belt, who are more insular.

Overall, I have found most Americans to be friendly and welcoming. My SiL is one and I adore her. We spend a lot of time ribbing each other, but it's just a heap of fun.

Ask a Brit their views on any foreign nationality and we can all trot out the stereotypes. It doesn't mean we don't like the individuals that we meet, and it is rarely meant seriously. Americans are an easy 'target' as they are pretty visible to the rest of the world. And dare I say, often louder?

EDIT> One other point. I wonder if because we theoretically speak the same language, Brits expect Americans to be similar and we're surprised/disappointed when they are not??

So, it's all "good fun and tongue in cheek"? Ok, thanks for letting me know, I will remember that from now on.
I just hope this does not end up being a one way street...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.