British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   is this for real? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/real-907768/)

mission Jan 10th 2018 9:13 am

is this for real?

Estate agent jailed in Dubai for sending WhatsApp message | Daily Mail Online

DXBtoDOH Jan 10th 2018 9:26 am

Re: is this for real?

Ouch.

Wonder what the actual charges were?

Wouldn't he be able to counter charge by arguing the car was sold under false pretension and advertising?

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 10th 2018 9:42 am

It's time my whatsapp got deleted and my phone tied to a rock and dropped in the Mariana trench.

DXBtoDOH Jan 10th 2018 9:46 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12415325)
It's time my whatsapp got deleted and my phone tied to a rock and dropped in the Mariana trench.

And people wonder why I won't have anything to do with Arabs :rolleyes:

littlejimmy Jan 10th 2018 10:48 am

Very strange. What law did he break? The person who was originally wronged gets into trouble. Just goes to show you've got to be careful how you interact with people.

Millhouse Jan 10th 2018 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 12415376)
Very strange. What law did he break?

I believe it was a cyber-crime law: “insulting or accusing another” online

Miss Ann Thrope Jan 10th 2018 12:41 pm

Defamation law is one of those things, like the law on bouncing cheques, that people living in the UAE really ought to be aware of as it is completely different to what most of us know and is treated very seriously.

Defamation refers to any public insulting or demeaning of any individual. It doesn't matter if it is true or factual. It doesn't have to be written down but is obviously much easier to prove if it is written on a channel like whatsapp. All that matters is that it is said in public.

Miss Ann Thrope Jan 10th 2018 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12415330)
And people wonder why I won't have anything to do with Arabs :rolleyes:

Even if your assumption about the ethnicity of the car dealer is correct (and I doubt it - I have another suspicion), that is the very essence of bigotry...

DXBtoDOH Jan 10th 2018 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope (Post 12415468)
Even if your assumption about the ethnicity of the car dealer is correct (and I doubt it - I have another suspicion), that is the very essence of bigotry...

Sure it is. And I'm not fussed either. It's a rule I've stuck to out here in the Gulf and it's worked well. Gotta protect yourself out here. Back home, I have no worries.

Bahtatboy Jan 10th 2018 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope (Post 12415468)

And that suspicion is based on...?

I'm expecting a very carefully-worded response.

co durham boy Jan 11th 2018 2:27 am

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12415479)
Sure it is. And I'm not fussed either. It's a rule I've stuck to out here in the Gulf and it's worked well. Gotta protect yourself out here. Back home, I have no worries.

Correct on all fronts

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 11th 2018 3:54 am

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope (Post 12415464)
Defamation law is one of those things, like the law on bouncing cheques, that people living in the UAE really ought to be aware of as it is completely different to what most of us know and is treated very seriously.

Defamation refers to any public insulting or demeaning of any individual. It doesn't matter if it is true or factual. It doesn't have to be written down but is obviously much easier to prove if it is written on a channel like whatsapp. All that matters is that it is said in public.

If the things I said about people in my car were available to the authorities I'd be in jail for 9,043,302,forever,202 years.

littlejimmy Jan 11th 2018 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 12416419)
The rule here has always been if you have a bone to pick with someone or you feel you've been ripped off you go straight to the police and don't post anything to anyone, especially not to the person you're having issues with.

Basically if anything can be construed as 'insulting' you can be arrested even if you are completely justified.

We've seen people who film crimes then post them on social media rather than going straight to the police get time in jail for 'filming without permission' or 'insulting character' etc.

Some people see shiny towers and bars and think that it's about the same as back home. It's not. I think more companies might do well to have orientation about these sorts of things to help prevent them.

N.

That's a bloody good shout on the orientation thing.

Millhouse Jan 11th 2018 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 12416549)
That's a bloody good shout on the orientation thing.

I’m worried you’re going to jail after you go mental when they tell you that you need that police certificate from the UK.

Hope you get hat visa soon !

Bahtatboy Jan 11th 2018 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12416579)
I’m worried you’re going to jail after you go mental when they tell you that you need that police certificate from the UK.

Hope you get hat visa soon !

Visa for dish, visa for dash -- this is getting silly.