Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Reaction to that 'American' video...

Reaction to that 'American' video...

Old Sep 16th 2012, 5:05 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Reaction to that 'American' video...

...you know. The one with the Prophet in.

Few comments;
  • The director isn't really American....the guy who they think made it, is actually an Egyptian Christian.
  • Aside from that little point, I think it's a stupid, deliberately provocative and insensitive thing to do. No excuses really.
  • That being said...the reaction has moved to unfathomable levels of spastic mania. Burning mock-up Obama's...Really? Attacking the German and British Embassies in Sudan...Really? Killing the US envoy to Libya....Really?

Bearing in mind the aid that the US give these countries (Egypt receives over a billion bucks) I wonder why our friends across the pond still bother?

If a Sudanese goat keeper thinks it's acceptable to cause damage, death and destruction 'against' the West then I'd suggest that he's probably not a very good Muslim after all.

This is the perfect excuse to start copying. Imagine the ****ing response if we were to burn effegies of the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt around Trafalgar Square?

Goodness me. What a ****ed up world this is.
Old Sep 16th 2012, 5:14 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reaction to that 'American' video...

Originally Posted by Scamp
...you know. The one with the Prophet in.

Few comments;
  • The director isn't really American....the guy who they think made it, is actually an Egyptian Christian.
  • Aside from that little point, I think it's a stupid, deliberately provocative and insensitive thing to do. No excuses really.
  • That being said...the reaction has moved to unfathomable levels of spastic mania. Burning mock-up Obama's...Really? Attacking the German and British Embassies in Sudan...Really? Killing the US envoy to Libya....Really?

Bearing in mind the aid that the US give these countries (Egypt receives over a billion bucks) I wonder why our friends across the pond still bother?

If a Sudanese goat keeper thinks it's acceptable to cause damage, death and destruction 'against' the West then I'd suggest that he's probably not a very good Muslim after all.

This is the perfect excuse to start copying. Imagine the ****ing response if we were to burn effegies of the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt around Trafalgar Square?

Goodness me. What a ****ed up world this is.
Just what the christians in Egypt needed, as if they didn't have enough problems.
Old Sep 16th 2012, 5:55 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

The most mental thing is that they blame the governments. They don't realise that any tom dick or waleed can upload what they want onto youtube.

If you want to kick off at least find the people responsible.
Old Sep 16th 2012, 6:24 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by britexpat76
The most mental thing is that they blame the governments. They don't realise that any tom dick or waleed can upload what they want onto youtube.

Exactly.

I don't understand the justification for killing an innocent US Envoy / Ambassador either.

I get that psychologically there is a diffusion of responsibility but it's certainly no excuse.
Old Sep 16th 2012, 6:34 am
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britexpat76

The problem is the uneducated ones don't. They've lived in a country their entire lives where if you want to make a film, you need the government's permission.

Hence they can't believe that the US government isn't in someway involved.

I'm against attacking people/religions/organisations without justification. However, I think this could set a dangerous precedent where if someone does have evidence about a religion or religious historical figure that shows the commonly accepted 'truth' about them is actually a series of lies, then we could see people afraid to bring the actual truth to the fore.
Old Sep 16th 2012, 6:39 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Did anyone watch the BBC documentary 2 weeks ago called the truth about Islam? Who let's history get in the way of religion.....
Old Sep 16th 2012, 7:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Islamists think they are special, that their ideology/religion is beyond criticism.
Old Sep 16th 2012, 9:55 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

The whole video (in English).

It's crap
Old Sep 16th 2012, 9:58 am
Shark Fisherman

Originally Posted by Kix
http://youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM

The whole video (in English).

It's crap
14 Minutes? I thought it was an hour
Old Sep 16th 2012, 10:03 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

I've said it numerous times before and no doubt I'll say it again, but if these believers were that secure in their beliefs (and perhaps not utterly brain-washed and uneducated) they wouldn't get so uppity about people disagreeing and criticising.

Seems they can say what they like about other people, but want to be exempt from any negative comment themselves.

Old Sep 16th 2012, 10:06 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
I've said it numerous times before and no doubt I'll say it again, but if these believers were that secure in their beliefs (and perhaps not utterly brain-washed and uneducated) they wouldn't get so uppity about people disagreeing and criticising.

Seems they can say what they like about other people, but want to be exempt from any negative comment themselves.

+1
Old Sep 16th 2012, 10:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by auzdafluff
The problem is the uneducated ones don't. They've lived in a country their entire lives where if you want to make a film, you need the government's permission.

Hence they can't believe that the US government isn't in someway involved.

I'm against attacking people/religions/organisations without justification. However, I think this could set a dangerous precedent where if someone does have evidence about a religion or religious historical figure that shows the commonly accepted 'truth' about them is actually a series of lies, then we could see people afraid to bring the actual truth to the fore.
A well-educated (decent US university, at least) young Saudi once tried to explain that to me.........

'Western' nations are democracies........ this means the population chooses people who will have responsibility for running their country, imposing taxes, building schools, etc, etc - well, most things really....... this would obviously include making films........ therefore, as there is no ban on making films, the government must approve of all films that are made (or else, they would ban people from doing so)........ therefore the government must approve of all films, including controversial ones.......... if the people don't like the government interfering in this way, they would vote another leader/party in to replace them........ so the government and the people are jointly responsible for film content, as well as everything else...... (I'm paraphrasing somewhat, obviously)........ etc......... etc............

By retort, I asked him if he thought there would ever be a 'one-man-one-vote' (or similar) democracy in KSA........ his response was simple but blunt: "How would the people know who to vote for?"
Old Sep 16th 2012, 10:08 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

I watched Life of Brian and didn't hatch an elaborate plan to behead John Cleese....
Old Sep 16th 2012, 10:09 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
A well-educated (decent US university, at least) young Saudi once tried to explain that to me.........

'Western' nations are democracies........ this means the population chooses people who will have responsibility for running their country, imposing taxes, building schools, etc, etc - well, most things really....... this would obviously include making films........ therefore, as there is no ban on making films, the government must approve of all films that are made (or else, they would ban people from doing so)........ therefore the government must approve of all films, including controversial ones.......... if the people don't like the government interfering in this way, they would vote another leader/party in to replace them........ so the government and the people are jointly responsible for film content, as well as everything else...... (I'm paraphrasing somewhat, obviously)........ etc......... etc............

By retort, I asked him if he thought there would ever be a 'one-man-one-vote' (or similar) democracy in KSA........ his response was simple but blunt: "How would the people know who to vote for?"

That explanation is akin to saying that if you don't like cats you must like dogs. No actual logic there, just the response of the brain washed.
Old Sep 16th 2012, 10:17 am
Shark Fisherman

I just lost 13 minutes of my life to the video. The contentious parts have been dubbed and badly, this is obviously some kind of wind up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.