British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Re-Registering my car (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/re-registering-my-car-784426/)

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 20th 2013 4:19 am

Re-Registering my car

Morning all,

Do I just drive into a test centre and point at my motor with a smile or what's the process?

Also, any ideas on the cost?

TIA

Mogs Jan 20th 2013 4:28 am

Re: Re-Registering my car

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10493964)
Morning all,

Do I just drive into a test centre and point at my motor with a smile or what's the process?

Also, any ideas on the cost?

TIA

You need to ensure you've renewed your insurance and bring your cert of insurance with you before you go. Also you'll need your expired registration card

Car gets a mini-MOT. Only thing to make sure is the tyres are not more than 3 years old or they will fail it.

Cost is a few hundred dirhams (plus any outstanding fines which need paid before they'll renew your registration).

Basically drive up, join a queue, then the mechanics guys check your car while you wait inside with the ticket you get when you initially drive in.

Once your car's checked, your keys plus the RTA "passed" cert is given (once you give them your new insurance cert). Pay about 20 dirhams for the admin fee at this counter, then go through to next queue where you pay the renewal (plus fines), then wait a few more minutes to join the last queue to get your new card.

If you go early in the morning it is quicker.

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 20th 2013 4:31 am

Originally Posted by Mogs (Post 10493972)
You need to ensure you've renewed your insurance and bring your cert of insurance with you before you go. Also you'll need your expired registration card

Car gets a mini-MOT. Only thing to make sure is the tyres are not more than 3 years old or they will fail it.

Cost is a few hundred dirhams (plus any outstanding fines which need paid before they'll renew your registration).

Basically drive up, join a queue, then the mechanics guys check your car while you wait inside with the ticket you get when you initially drive in.

Once your car's checked, your keys plus the RTA "passed" cert is given (once you give them your new insurance cert). Pay about 20 dirhams for the admin fee at this counter, then go through to next queue where you pay the renewal (plus fines), then wait a few more minutes to join the last queue to get your new card.

If you go early in the morning it is quicker.

OK Awesome, thank you for that.

Need to find my insurance stuff, the reg card says my insurance is until 8/3/13 but the car reg ends 8/2/13....a month apart. It struck me a strange / wrong?

Mogs Jan 20th 2013 4:32 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10493974)
OK Awesome, thank you for that.

Need to find my insurance stuff, the reg card says my insurance is until 8/3/13 but the car reg ends 8/2/13....a month apart. It struck me a strange / wrong?

yeah you get 13 months insurance when you renew

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 20th 2013 4:42 am

Originally Posted by Mogs (Post 10493975)
yeah you get 13 months insurance when you renew

So do I have to renew the insurance before re-registering as you say orginally or is the extra month enough to get through that process?

Patsy Stoned Jan 20th 2013 4:44 am

Or call Tasjeel and they will send a little man to pick up your car,renew your insurance and put it through the test and bring it back.
04 3336470.:D

Mogs Jan 20th 2013 5:18 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10493989)
So do I have to renew the insurance before re-registering as you say orginally or is the extra month enough to get through that process?

You need to renew so you have 13 months insurance before you go

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 20th 2013 5:22 am

Originally Posted by Mogs (Post 10494016)
You need to renew so you have 13 months insurance before you go

Thanks, just spoke to Axa.

3358 with Agency repairs
2521 without.

Skint at the moment, but cant help thing Agency repairs are worth it?

jam25mack Jan 20th 2013 5:32 am

If getting tested in Sharjah your insurance must start on the same day as your test. I.e. It cannot start the day before.... this is a mega pain in the arse if they fail you and you have to back another day as you then need to go back to your insurance peeps and get another letter printed with the correct day.

Regarding the actual test, well this is in the lap of the gods. It all depends on how the guy feels on the day. They generally fail my Jeep as it is modified (suspension, wheels etc) but after a bit of a 'discussion' they let it through. They don't like any extra lights or anything attached to the body that originally wasn't (hilift jacks, fuel canisters etc). On 4x4's they can also be arsey if you have steel bumpers. even tho the bumpers on the older TJ wranglers are steel as standard they sometimes question this. All of this confuses the hell out of me as you see modified 4x4's everywhere and they must get through.

My mate also had issues with his Mitsubishi Evo as they thought it was modified (it isn't) and they didn't believe the bonnet (with big vent) is standard. As such, if you have anything other than the norm be prepared for a bit of a struggle.

If you have a motorbike, you're laughing. All they check is the VIN number. Nothing and I mean, nothing else.

As I say, lap of the gods. Sometimes they care and are a pain and sometimes they let it sail through. Again, if you have anything that is 'not the norm' stay with the car during the test so you can answer any of their concerns / questions rather than them just failing it outright.

Miss Anne Thrope Jan 20th 2013 5:47 am

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned (Post 10493992)
Or call Tasjeel and they will send a little man to pick up your car,renew your insurance and put it through the test and bring it back.

Hmm, that may just be the Very Important Patsy service not available to us mere mortals....

Miss Anne Thrope Jan 20th 2013 5:56 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10494019)

3358 with Agency repairs
2521 without.

Depends on how concerned you are with maintaining the warranty (for potential resale) should you ever need repairs to be done. In any case, get a few quotes on insurance and be sure to mention you are claims free (if you are). At a minimum get quotes from AXA, Zurich and RSA.

If the car is less than 3 years old you don't need to go for a test and you can do the whole thing online. You can pay about Dhs20 for them to courier the new registration card to you or you can pick it up from the RTA offices within a few days. Even if you do need the test you can do a lot of preliminary stuff online. Within an hour of so of completing your insurance the RTA will have it in the system and you can do all the payments online (including paying off any outstanding tickets don't forget). If you have to go to the centre for the test anyway that's not a huge benefit but it is pretty slick all told.

Patsy Stoned Jan 20th 2013 5:56 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10494019)

3358 with Agency repairs
2521 without.

Darling, use the tajeel agent and he will get an insurance at the test centre. they charge about 200dhs to do it for you.

Patsy Stoned Jan 20th 2013 6:00 am

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope (Post 10494033)
Hmm, that may just be the Very Important Patsy service not available to us mere mortals....

Lol ..no darling even mere mortals can use the service. I am getting my car done this month.

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 20th 2013 6:29 am

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope (Post 10494043)
Depends on how concerned you are with maintaining the warranty (for potential resale) should you ever need repairs to be done. In any case, get a few quotes on insurance and be sure to mention you are claims free (if you are). At a minimum get quotes from AXA, Zurich and RSA.

If the car is less than 3 years old you don't need to go for a test and you can do the whole thing online. You can pay about Dhs20 for them to courier the new registration card to you or you can pick it up from the RTA offices within a few days. Even if you do need the test you can do a lot of preliminary stuff online. Within an hour of so of completing your insurance the RTA will have it in the system and you can do all the payments online (including paying off any outstanding tickets don't forget). If you have to go to the centre for the test anyway that's not a huge benefit but it is pretty slick all told.

Will ring around the insurers tonight, I am claims free so that's good.

My car poss. cert says the car is a 2010 model registered in 18/8/2010 - would that be the first reg date or is it likely to be just when the other owner regsitered it?

Sorry for sounding so stupid here, want to make sure I get it sorted correctly.

I've seen lots of online stuff and can organise for them to come and collect etc. Once I've got the best insurance quote I'll buy that and then get it sorted.

LaLaLayla Jan 20th 2013 6:41 am

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned (Post 10493992)

I had no idea this service existed! I hate re-registering my car. Will def use these guys in future.