British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Re-registering mobile phones? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/re-registering-mobile-phones-783885/)

The Dean Jan 15th 2013 1:06 pm

Re-registering mobile phones?

Heard about this on the radio, but the info I have seems incomplete and contradictory........... we all have to go to Etisalat/Du/etc this week to show that our phones genuinely belong to us, and to prove that we are who we say we are......... correct? :blink:

If we don't do this, our outgoing calls will be blocked until we do........... :huh:

Kix Jan 15th 2013 1:16 pm

Re: Re-registering mobile phones?

Only if you've had a text message as there are 2 or 3 waves of this happening.

You can register them to you now so you don't get involved in mad queuing by crazy people.

Patsy Stoned Jan 15th 2013 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10484033)
Heard about this on the radio, but the info I have seems incomplete and contradictory........... we all have to go to Etisalat/Du/etc this week to show that our phones genuinely belong to us, and to prove that we are who we say we are......... correct? :blink:

If we don't do this, our outgoing calls will be blocked until we do........... :huh:

I did mine ages ago. Just go to 1 of the Etisalat/Du booths..MOE has 1. You just need to fill in a form listing all the phones that you have in your name. Show them your ID card or passport and that is it.

Fossildog Jan 15th 2013 6:02 pm

Was in AD mall at lunchtime and there must have been a 100 people queuing at the Etisalat counter.

I did mine a few weeks ago. It is just a simple form to fill in and a scan of your National ID card. Took five minutes. Didnt even have to show my mobile.

Mogs Jan 16th 2013 4:11 am

Yes it's true.

You can also register your wife's phone at the same time (even if she's not with you) so you both don't have to visit Etisalat.

I would recommend the Etisalat desk in Dubai Marina Walk (outside Spinneys) as it is always quiet (never seen a queue there).

the_red_sheep Jan 16th 2013 4:23 am

I've kinda been ignoring this and hoping it would go away. Is there a good reason for it (:rofl:), or a reason for it at all?

Also, is it possible to convert a post-paid Etisilat number to pre-paid?

NorthernLad Jan 16th 2013 4:31 am

From what I understand, there is nothing required until you receive a SMS which is being done in stages.

It was a long time ago since I got the missus a SIM card, but seem to remember having to give copy of passport. That was obviously a waste of time.

Meow Jan 16th 2013 4:49 am

Loads of scaremongering about this! Phones are not being cut off today and yes, everyone will need to reregister, but not necessarily by today. You should be sent an SMS telling you what your deadline is and you should adhere to that but if yuo miss it, you have leeway.

You can reregister at any time and the person who bought the SIM is the one who must register. You can't get another person to do it on your behalf, even if they are the user of the phone. You can get it done anytime, so might as well get it out of the way.

Millhouse Jan 16th 2013 5:49 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10485650)
You can't get another person to do it on your behalf, even if they are the user of the phone.

Not quite true. You can send a letter with the PRO saying that he is authorized to do it on your behalf.

Millhouse Jan 16th 2013 5:50 am

Originally Posted by the_red_sheep (Post 10485605)
I've kinda been ignoring this and hoping it would go away. Is there a good reason for it (:rofl:), or a reason for it at all?

Also, is it possible to convert a post-paid Etisilat number to pre-paid?

Yes, you can covert from any package to another (and reassign users). I took my Blackberry service and number from my old employer, to pre-pay to post-pay with my new employer.

It's a bit of a process and you need letters from everyone, obviously.

Irishbeekeeper Jan 16th 2013 6:34 am

unless you receive an SMS from them asking you to register / re-register, your ok
went to MOE last night and the line around the small Etisalat counter was miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiles long

The Dean Jan 16th 2013 6:49 am

I recommend the big Etisalat centre behind the Dusit, but before you get to the Al Murooj Rotana - huge car park there too, and about 30 customer service desks once you get inside.

busybee2 Jan 16th 2013 4:38 pm

i would go, i was in khalidya mall today, the amount of people queuing both sides was about 50 people each queue. go early.......

yes this has been going on a for many a month now....... because you can buy your sim cards at car4 and the rest, quite often the forms are inputted wrong.... so now they are starting again, everyone must redo them, even if you havent been told yet, go and do it, and if there isnt a queue then go for it, all they need is a copy of id for their file and fill out a new form, you can get it online and print out.

busybee2 Jan 16th 2013 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by Mogs (Post 10485587)
Yes it's true.

You can also register your wife's phone at the same time (even if she's not with you) so you both don't have to visit Etisalat.

I would recommend the Etisalat desk in Dubai Marina Walk (outside Spinneys) as it is always quiet (never seen a queue there).

maybe they have relaxed the rules, but each person has to register their own phones you cannot do anybody elses, i tried that before, they wouldnt have any of it.

busybee2 Jan 16th 2013 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 10485615)
From what I understand, there is nothing required until you receive a SMS which is being done in stages.

It was a long time ago since I got the missus a SIM card, but seem to remember having to give copy of passport. That was obviously a waste of time.

no there is a complete mess now so they are redoing them all again. you have to give a copy of id for everything here, when i got a new sim card for my son maybe 4 years ago, renewed it in the etilsat office 1st year and then 2nd year, on 3rd year renewal noticed now the receipt was saying a different name, anyways basicially the form had been filled out by me correctly but they inputted someone elses form instead of mine, so in order to change it over to my name, i had to sign a declaration saying that i take over that number and all costs associated with it, so i am saying thats why that now you have to renew and start a fresh, i bought my sim from car4..... need i say more.