British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Raw, fresh turkey (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/raw-fresh-turkey-929705/)

scrubbedexpat141 Dec 8th 2019 4:24 am

Raw, fresh turkey

Morning,

On the interwebs I can find many delivery / collection offers for cooked turkeys for Christmas. Having done this previously and not rated that highly, we're going to be cooking out own bird this year. Even though there's two of us on the big day, we'll be buffet bashing for days off it so happy to get a good size one.

Question is - any recommendations for a turkey ordering shop / supplier? I don't really want to get a frozen one, which knocks Kibsons out I think.

Big thanks in advance.

Millhouse Dec 8th 2019 5:03 am

Re: Raw, fresh turkey

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12775444)
Morning,

On the interwebs I can find many delivery / collection offers for cooked turkeys for Christmas. Having done this previously and not rated that highly, we're going to be cooking out own bird this year. Even though there's two of us on the big day, we'll be buffet bashing for days off it so happy to get a good size one.

Question is - any recommendations for a turkey ordering shop / supplier? I don't really want to get a frozen one, which knocks Kibsons out I think.

Big thanks in advance.

I got mine from choithrams one year - 250 and ordered it a couple of weeks in advance.

It was alright, a bit dry.

scrubbedexpat141 Dec 8th 2019 5:04 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12775451)
I got mine from choithrams one year - 250 and ordered it a couple of weeks in advance.

It was alright, a bit dry.

The service or the turkey?

I'm thinking of brine time, injecting, basting, the works. Never been solely responsible for the bird before, always followed Mummy's lead but want to do a good job

TheShed Dec 8th 2019 7:02 am

waitress are taking orders for fresh birds.

Brining, yes, I've recently been enlightened to this technique. Awesome for any type of poultry.

reddiva Dec 8th 2019 8:25 am

Morning,

Big thanks in advance.

try Mike the British butcher in Mudon. He has a FB page and does pork etc. He may also be getting turkeys in and also https://carnistore.com/turkey/ the latter has a contact number and Mike has a FB page you can message him on

Gavtek Dec 8th 2019 9:56 am

Worth trying Martin's Meats: http://martinsmeats.me/shop-now/spec...stive-box.html

scrubbedexpat141 Dec 8th 2019 10:55 am

Originally Posted by TheShed (Post 12775475)
waitress are taking orders for fresh birds.

Brining, yes, I've recently been enlightened to this technique. Awesome for any type of poultry.

Thanks. If you're pro-brine as a semi-pro chef I'll certainly be considering it a top priority. I'm at research stage.

Originally Posted by reddiva (Post 12775499)
try Mike the British butcher in Mudon. He has a FB page and does pork etc. He may also be getting turkeys in and also https://carnistore.com/turkey/ the latter has a contact number and Mike has a FB page you can message him on

Thanks. I found Mike for the boxing day hot ham. Saw his Xmas deliveries are on form and needed to be in a few days ago for guaranteed delivery. I'll go see them I think.
Carnistore - have you used before? Found them and looked reasonable and it's the one in gold and diamond park isn't it?

Originally Posted by Gavtek (Post 12775520)
Worth trying Martin's Meats: Martins Meats - Christmas Festive Box

Heard some horror stories about this one....

Millhouse Dec 8th 2019 12:08 pm

I think you should deep fry it on the balcony, Scamp. Had it in the states, it's the only way.

I'm sure your community rules are silent on deep-frying turkeys on the balcony.

scrubbedexpat141 Dec 8th 2019 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12775572)
I think you should deep fry it on the balcony, Scamp. Had it in the states, it's the only way.

I'm sure your community rules are silent on deep-frying turkeys on the balcony.

KEEN.

The community rules don't cover over-crowding from one family in apartments and screaming children (like you're cutting them up) at midnight.....but it ****ing happens.

Jerseygirl Dec 8th 2019 12:44 pm

Morning,

Big thanks in advance.

Have you tried Waitrose?

scrubbedexpat141 Dec 9th 2019 4:25 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12775576)
Have you tried Waitrose?

Not yet Ma'am, but it's on the list to check this week. :thumbsup:

TheShed Dec 9th 2019 6:32 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12775848)
Not yet Ma'am, but it's on the list to check this week. :thumbsup:

I've just ordered a frozen one from ElFab as it was stupidly cheap (aed120 for 9kg bird). Will be cooking it this coming weekend as we're doing Family xmas on Saturday due to kids being away for Christmas. If I remember, I'll let you know how it goes.

and I will be brining it ;) but cooking traditionally

co durham boy Dec 9th 2019 6:36 am

Pick a hotel order the Turkey with the trimmings for 600 chips , get your lass to drive you down to pick it up Xmas day , half a dozen Peroni's in the bar then straight back to the Casa to eat it.
You'll be in the Scratcher by 4pm , jobs a goodun lad

scrubbedexpat141 Dec 9th 2019 6:58 am

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 12775872)
Pick a hotel order the Turkey with the trimmings for 600 chips , get your lass to drive you down to pick it up Xmas day , half a dozen Peroni's in the bar then straight back to the Casa to eat it.
You'll be in the Scratcher by 4pm , jobs a goodun lad

Whilst a good idea in principal, nah. Did it a few years ago and I can't abide luke warm food. None of them will be able to produce the volume at the same time for people to collect, it'll all be sat overnight or for hours in the morning drying out and ending up worse than just doing it yourself.

co durham boy Dec 9th 2019 7:14 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12775878)
Whilst a good idea in principal, nah. Did it a few years ago and I can't abide luke warm food. None of them will be able to produce the volume at the same time for people to collect, it'll all be sat overnight or for hours in the morning drying out and ending up worse than just doing it yourself.

You've basically described 99% of peoples Xmas dinners right there !!