British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Ravis Rocks! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/ravis-rocks-795528/)

silversilver Apr 29th 2013 4:35 pm

Ravis Rocks!

In all the time that I have been in Dubai and the dirhams I have spent on meals and brunches never once have I thought of visiting Ravis in Satwa. The tablecloths are wipe clean and the napkins consist of a box of tissues taking centre piece on the table but .............

I have to say tonight I had the most delicious chicken handi and butter nan all for the princely sum of 26 dirhams - delish!

Are there any other Dubai institutions that I really should know about??

NorthernLad Apr 30th 2013 3:49 am

Re: Ravis Rocks!

Originally Posted by silversilver (Post 10683885)
In all the time that I have been in Dubai and the dirhams I have spent on meals and brunches never once have I thought of visiting Ravis in Satwa. The tablecloths are wipe clean and the napkins consist of a box of tissues taking centre piece on the table but .............

I have to say tonight I had the most delicious chicken handi and butter nan all for the princely sum of 26 dirhams - delish!

Eat and Drink on al Wasl road, near Co-Op. best schwarmas in Dubai.

mentalist Apr 30th 2013 4:28 am

In all the time that I have been in Dubai and the dirhams I have spent on meals and brunches never once have I thought of visiting Ravis in Satwa...

Why ever not? Ravis has always held the reputation for being by far the best Pakistani restaurant in town. You should now try a few tasty Iranian and Lebanese establishments, preferably not linked to an over-priced hotel.

shiva Apr 30th 2013 4:34 am

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 10684560)

If that's the one I'm thinking of the also do the best manakeesh in town

Meow Apr 30th 2013 5:27 am

Bu Qtair
Bombay Chowpatty
Paratha King

Patsy Stoned Apr 30th 2013 5:41 am

Originally Posted by mentalist (Post 10684577)
Why ever not? Ravis has always held the reputation for being by far the best Pakistani restaurant in town. You should now try a few tasty Iranian and Lebanese establishments, preferably not linked to an over-priced hotel.

Try this company...walking food tour through Old Dubai. I sent some visitors on it and they loved it.:D
http://www.fryingpanadventures.com/

Meow Apr 30th 2013 7:05 am

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned (Post 10684614)
Try this company...walking food tour through Old Dubai. I sent some visitors on it and they loved it.:D
http://www.fryingpanadventures.com/

Mentalist will never do that you you have to pay! :D (I'm right Mentalist, aren't 1? ;) )

Arva is a lovely young woman who has worked hard to get her business up and running. There's a choice of two food options, Indian or Arabic. I think the cost is around AED 350 a head, but you go to about six different restaurants, get to try loads of dished and learn about the making of them and background.

A place to avoid = Xiao Wei Yang. They do those Chinese hotpots but it's utterly vile with cheap, nasty meats and fishballs.

Ethos83 Apr 30th 2013 7:27 am

Hmm.

I lived near there.

The schwarmas were ok.

Best schwarmas was at All Mallahs on Al Dhiyafas near Ravi's.

Leagues better. A world apart from the too often dry schwarmas from Eat and Drink.

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 10684560)

Ethos83 Apr 30th 2013 7:29 am

You're thinking of Al Reef, not Eat and Drink. It's on the other end of the same strip of shops.

Best manakeesh in town. I used to stop by after a workout in Safa Park and pick up a piping hot cheese manakeesh or zaatar with cheese manakeesh.

My god, the oil that used to soak the paper bag!

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 10684585)
If that's the one I'm thinking of the also do the best manakeesh in town

shiva Apr 30th 2013 8:38 am

Originally Posted by Ethos83 (Post 10684688)
You're thinking of Al Reef, not Eat and Drink. It's on the other end of the same strip of shops.

Best manakeesh in town. I used to stop by after a workout in Safa Park and pick up a piping hot cheese manakeesh or zaatar with cheese manakeesh.

My god, the oil that used to soak the paper bag!

That's the one. Salivating just thinking about the meat manakeesh

miuser2 Apr 30th 2013 9:18 am

Originally Posted by Ethos83 (Post 10684685)
Best schwarmas was at All Mallahs on Al Dhiyafas near Ravi's.

Leagues better. A world apart from the too often dry schwarmas from Eat and Drink.

Seconded, Al Mallah is in a different league, definitely the best shawarma in town. Eat & Drink aren't bad mind you.

miuser2 Apr 30th 2013 9:22 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10684662)
A place to avoid = Xiao Wei Yang. They do those Chinese hotpots but it's utterly vile with cheap, nasty meats and fishballs.

The China Sea in Deira is my favourite Chinese in Dubai - great dumplings. They have hotpot upstairs but I haven't got around to trying it yet. My only complaint is that they don't serve pork but that's understandable of course.

miuser2 Apr 30th 2013 9:28 am

Turkish - Istanbul Flower (Shaikh Zayed next to the Safestway supermarket). Good shawarma, mezzes, juices.

Chinese - The China Sea, Deira.

Bu Qtair - They only do the fish one way but it's always good.

Automatic in Jumeirah is generally ok for a quick meal, usual arabic grills, shish tawook, mezzes etc. Nice buffet in Ramadan actually.

Samak in Jumeirah (same shopping centre as Automatic) is a little more pricey but the fish is good.

Anyone have any good Indian or Thai recommendations?

Meow Apr 30th 2013 10:10 am

Isstanbul Flower is very authentic. In addition to the original place by Safestway, they have a smarter outlet in Healthcare City. I love their food. Bosphorus in the Beach Road is also good and reasonably priced if you like Turkish food. Both do a lovely betyi kebab. :p

My favourite Lebanese was always Al Safadi when we lived in Deira, but the shwarmas, juices etc from the place near one of our local mosques are damn fine.

Indian - Bombay Chowpatty. Excellent dosas and great value.

co durham boy Apr 30th 2013 10:17 am

Originally Posted by miuser2 (Post 10684835)
The China Sea in Deira is my favourite Chinese in Dubai - great dumplings. They have hotpot upstairs but I haven't got around to trying it yet. My only complaint is that they don't serve pork but that's understandable of course.

They serve ' special tea' upstairs , AKA Ice cold Tse Yang in a Carrefour plastic jug .

Does the job though