Rant time...

Old Sep 8th 2013, 12:26 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Rant time...

...."I am applying for this job because I have no relevant experience, haven't read the advert, haven't got the qualifications needed but am CERTAIN that I could probably just about maybe fudge my way through it."

**** OFF.

I've just lost several hours of my life deleting applications. The most recent role had just under 100 CVs in my inbox. I've just gone through all of them one by one and only ONE CV is potentially useful for ANYTHING we have at the moment.

What's the problem?

Spec / spam approach that chucking your CV at enough means a new job will come?
Genuinely thinking you can do any job in the world and that experience is irrelevant because you can definitely transfer your skills of being a setting out engineer to being a planner on a major new project?

I'm not normally bothered by this, it's sometimes funny but I've had e-****ing-nough of it today.

#rantover
Old Sep 8th 2013, 12:29 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rant time...

Originally Posted by Scamp
...."I am applying for this job because I have no relevant experience, haven't read the advert, haven't got the qualifications needed but am CERTAIN that I could probably just about maybe fudge my way through it."

**** OFF.

I've just lost several hours of my life deleting applications. The most recent role had just under 100 CVs in my inbox. I've just gone through all of them one by one and only ONE CV is potentially useful for ANYTHING we have at the moment.

What's the problem?

Spec / spam approach that chucking your CV at enough means a new job will come?
Genuinely thinking you can do any job in the world and that experience is irrelevant because you can definitely transfer your skills of being a setting out engineer to being a planner on a major new project?

I'm not normally bothered by this, it's sometimes funny but I've had e-****ing-nough of it today.

#rantover
so can I send you my cv - no idea what the job is tho
Old Sep 8th 2013, 12:53 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
so can I send you my cv - no idea what the job is tho
With all due respect, no.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 1:00 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

never mind o'clock
Old Sep 8th 2013, 1:27 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by old.sparkles

never mind o'clock
Tell me about it. I've just looked out the window at work at 5 lanes of solid traffic. I KNOW that will take me 15-20mins to get through and then another 20+ to get home.

Then, at home I'm hanging pictures and doing more of the 'just moved in but couldn't be arsed to sort everything at once' jobs.

Is there a gun to the head smilie?
Old Sep 8th 2013, 1:28 pm
Account Closed

^^ My god. What a first world problem wanker I've become. ^^
Old Sep 8th 2013, 1:31 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

I do so enjoy reading other people's rants.

Old Sep 8th 2013, 1:38 pm
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

A talented recruiter would be able to place those Muppets, how do I know that? Because one has obviously placed similar candidates in this company.

To balance out the universe of bad news, you will no doubt be happy to learn my yearly bonus has finally been approved. All that remains is to place 50,000 phone calls to admin. to get it lodged to my account.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 3:26 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

some recruiters can be tw*ts as well....

let me call you to discuss XYZ job, Monday evening ok with you.... well sure but how about you send me job description first before it's worth calling.... oh I suppose so if I have to.... thanks for job description, I could do it standing on my head blindfold but it's in butt**** nowhere land for a what-is-HSE-company that I don't want to work for, so thanks but how about we cancel Monday evening's appointment?..... and ZERO response back from recruiter.

He goes in my ****tard folder. Yes, I have a "good recruiter" folder and a "****tard recruiter" folder.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 3:47 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

the other recruiter rant - those that try to connect with me in LinkedIn because I have over 800 connections, and they think they can access that list by connecting with me..... when it is blindingly obvious they are not interested in recruiting me (normally <25yrs old, and in completely different industry to mine).
Old Sep 8th 2013, 4:10 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
A talented recruiter would be able to place those Muppets, how do I know that? Because one has obviously placed similar candidates in this company.

To balance out the universe of bad news, you will no doubt be happy to learn my yearly bonus has finally been approved. All that remains is to place 50,000 phone calls to admin. to get it lodged to my account.
I'm not sure that Mohd bin Mohd and sons trading and contracting LLC use many Western recruiters to ship engineers from Chennai though...
Old Sep 8th 2013, 4:12 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
some recruiters can be tw*ts as well....

let me call you to discuss XYZ job, Monday evening ok with you.... well sure but how about you send me job description first before it's worth calling.... oh I suppose so if I have to.... thanks for job description, I could do it standing on my head blindfold but it's in butt**** nowhere land for a what-is-HSE-company that I don't want to work for, so thanks but how about we cancel Monday evening's appointment?..... and ZERO response back from recruiter.

He goes in my ****tard folder. Yes, I have a "good recruiter" folder and a "****tard recruiter" folder.
Eurgh. I hate job specs. If someone understands the role and the company they could just write it themselves if you've described the firs two well enough. (I'm sure you probably read it with zero surprise?).

What I won't do is stand up for shite recruiters. I'm not great but I'm not a ****ing moron like the other 98%.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 6:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Linked In has a lot to answer for, but those who put practically their entire detailed CV on there deserve what they get. Ed Hunter reads it, and 'writes' the guy's CV, then sends it to his client, who then says......... etc.

I am always surprised how recruiters assume that a direct message sent via Linked In is confidential. I have been approached by two or three recently who have readily named the employer whose vacancy they are trying to fill.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 7:06 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by The Dean
Linked In has a lot to answer for, but those who put practically their entire detailed CV on there deserve what they get. Ed Hunter reads it, and 'writes' the guy's CV, then sends it to his client, who then says......... etc.

I am always surprised how recruiters assume that a direct message sent via Linked In is confidential. I have been approached by two or three recently who have readily named the employer whose vacancy they are trying to fill.
Depends on the role, sometimes companies want the competition to be clueless, other times they want you to tap up everyone at the company to just cause some trouble.

End of the day it's just boys being boys.
Old Sep 9th 2013, 5:17 am
Forum Regular

Bongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond repute

Spoken as a true non-engineer. I started as a civil engineer, then site setting out engineer, then into office side for planning, now working in architecture side.

If I depended on a recruiters ideas of where I "belonged" then I would probably be back digging holes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.