British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Ramadan Kareem ! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/ramadan-kareem-794280/)

the_red_sheep Apr 18th 2013 4:09 am

Re: Ramadan Kareem !

Originally Posted by redShark (Post 10665238)
The moral of the story is to teach patience.

This doesn't extend to driving in mid to late afternoon though clearly.

Also, it always struck me that the point of fasting was to demonstrate abstinence and the self-control to avoid temptations. Surely by taking away the temptations (forcing restaurants to close) or forcing them to be hidden (not allowing non-Muslims to eat or drink in public) does away with much of what is being avoided and thus means less self-control or proof of faith is required.

flares Apr 18th 2013 4:10 am

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 10665479)
Nonsense. Maintaining a fast, like giving up cigarettes, is a matter of willpower not of religious belief.

Rubbish Mikewot - these guys are special. You knows it. If (Fergal) Sharkey's friend would have converted after day 2 his body would have been able to cope with fasting. Have faith. Innit. :amen::blink::confused::starsmile:

mikewot Apr 18th 2013 4:27 am

Originally Posted by saudiflares (Post 10665513)
Rubbish Mikewot - these guys are special. You knows it. If (Fergal) Sharkey's friend would have converted after day 2 his body would have been able to cope with fasting. Have faith. Innit. :amen::blink::confused::starsmile:

:goodpost: Sorry, you're absolutely correct, I'm exhibiting my ignorance as an infidel.

britexpat76 Apr 18th 2013 6:28 am

Originally Posted by redShark (Post 10665238)
Actually, for a Muslim who have spent all his adulthood life doing fasting in Ramadan, fasting in July is not really that difficult. However, without the Islamic faith It is near impossible to fast the month of Ramdan in summer. Once, a non-Muslim friend of mine who was intrigued by the way Muslims do their fasting actually tried to do it with me. The first two days he barely managed to go through them; by the third day he was completely consumed by fatigue and headache and just gave it up.

Ramadan for Muslim is a story of multiple disciplines; Food intake regulation is just one part of that story. The moral of the story is to teach patience, a vital human characteristc that is quite difficult to teach in words.

Bahahahaha. Hilarious Red, as always. I have a lesson for patience out here. Make them save pocket money or get a job and buy their own 1st landcruiser. Don't give them whatever they want whenever they want? Do you think staying awake a few daylight hours before feasting all night is a sacrifice?

jam25mack Apr 18th 2013 7:15 am

Originally Posted by the_red_sheep (Post 10665512)
This doesn't extend to driving in mid to late afternoon though clearly.

Also, it always struck me that the point of fasting was to demonstrate abstinence and the self-control to avoid temptations. Surely by taking away the temptations (forcing restaurants to close) or forcing them to be hidden (not allowing non-Muslims to eat or drink in public) does away with much of what is being avoided and thus means less self-control or proof of faith is required.

Massively agree. All this no smoking, drinking and eating in public pish is just that - pish! They are the ones giving it up to show their devotion to their faith etc etc or whatever, I'm not fasting so why should I stop.

My ex used to fast when we lived in Scotland which in my eyes would be 10 x worse. Really long days with no one hiding their Greggs steak bakes away. She used to get up at 4am for breakfast and break her fast at 11pm..... hardcore!

britexpat76 Apr 18th 2013 7:17 am

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 10665647)
Massively agree. All this no smoking, drinking and eating in public pish is just that - pish! They are the ones giving it up to show their devotion to their faith etc etc or whatever, I'm not fasting so why should I stop.

My ex used to fast when we lived in Scotland which in my eyes would be 10 x worse. Really long days with no one hiding their Greggs steak bakes away. She used to get up at 4am for breakfast and break her fast at 11pm..... hardcore!

On the flip side to that it amazes me how many muslims become sick leading up to ramadan and can't fast due to taking medicine............

Irishbeekeeper Apr 18th 2013 7:24 am

The correct way to go about ramazan is NOT to feast all night and NOT to over-eat. I have always managed to shed a few unwanted pounds and yes patience is a self-taught acquired art which most lemmings will never get unfortunately.
The concept behind it all, if I may for a second, is that hundreds of years ago (much much before Islam came about) there were the haves and the have-nots, much like today I guess. The havenots, living in difficult conditions would only have SO much of earnings / savings to afford a meal once a day, so they would eat just once in the night (Iftar time) and then save some from that to eat again in the morning (Sehri time) before heading out at the crack of dawn to work all day long so they could afford to buy their one meal by the end of the day. Now I am not saying that there was a certain example of this happening which made the ramazan come about (since the practice of fasting has been there since the time of Moses or even before that I am sure), I am saying the concept of knowing hunger for a whole month so that you may know the hunger a poor man goes through all year long. And the way things are going in this unbalanced world, hunger is a real problem, especially in the have-nots part of the world. If done right, by the end of the month one is barely making it through the day and yes true hunger does bring out a level of spirituality I guess but for myself, it is all about thanking God that I was blessed to be born with enough to never to know true hunger and to try and feed / help out anyone I feel deserves it and not just in that particular month but make it a way of life.
/end of rant :)

Irishbeekeeper Apr 18th 2013 7:27 am

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 10665647)

Totally agree, I have never had problems with anyone eating / drinking / smoking in front of me and 4am to 11 pm?? man I am impressed with a capital I, true hardcore indeed...respect! :thumbsup:

jam25mack Apr 18th 2013 7:38 am

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 10665649)
On the flip side to that it amazes me how many muslims become sick leading up to ramadan and can't fast due to taking medicine............

Ha, from what I can remember there are so many get out clauses that you could miss the whole month and easily not use the same excuse twice. I seem to remember one is along the lines of 'if travelling over 12Km (or similar) you're exempt'. Probably not so valid in the age of the Landcrusier!

Eeyore Apr 18th 2013 8:29 am

But you're still supposed to make the missed days up afterwards, aren't you? You're not completely exempted from fasting at all that year.

britexpat76 Apr 18th 2013 8:41 am

Originally Posted by Eeyore (Post 10665719)
But you're still supposed to make the missed days up afterwards, aren't you? You're not completely exempted from fasting at all that year.

Is the correct answer. Though non I know do.

redShark Apr 18th 2013 8:56 am

Originally Posted by saudiflares (Post 10665513)

This is not the first time for me to discuss fasting with non-Muslims. I have heard before some interesting ideas and viewpoints about it; Not necessarily that they sounded logical to me. Interestingly, however, I have also developed a conviction about this particular debate and that is, discussing fasting with some one with a problem of drinking is a complete waste of time.

DohaLady Apr 18th 2013 9:08 am

Love Ramadan! Home by 2 and get to save a bit of cash as I'm not in the pub all month

Now, I've been known to overeat on occasion, but how much do you actually have to consume to become hospitalised?!

the_red_sheep Apr 18th 2013 9:10 am

Originally Posted by redShark (Post 10665749)
I have also developed a conviction about this particular debate and that is, discussing fasting with some one with a problem of drinking is a complete waste of time.

I feel much the same way about discussing anything to do with religion with someone who is utterly blinded by religious idealism, as so many ‘religious’ people are. However, if those people want to live their lives led by religion I have absolutely no objection, unless they try to invoke their beliefs on others in a way which impinges on their lives.

Irishbeekeeper Apr 18th 2013 9:27 am

Originally Posted by the_red_sheep (Post 10665768)
I feel much the same way about discussing anything to do with religion with someone who is utterly blinded by religious idealism, as so many ‘religious’ people are. However, if those people want to live their lives led by religion I have absolutely no objection, unless they try to invoke their beliefs on others in a way which impinges on their lives.

totally agreed!