Ramadan Kareem !

Old Apr 22nd 2013, 8:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ramadan Kareem !

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
Have a drink darling xxx
Excellent idea!
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 8:57 am
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83
It helps explain why despite church attendance in the UK under 5% the clear majority still believe in a higher being.
Thats because most of them have grown up...if you know what I mean

But on a serious note, totally agreed with what you said, it never ends so why get into the details. Enjoy the now and plan for the worst
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 9:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper
Thats because most of them have grown up...if you know what I mean

But on a serious note, totally agreed with what you said, it never ends so why get into the details. Enjoy the now and plan for the worst
Not really sure what you mean - they're grown up so they believe in a higher being or they're grown up so they don't go to church?
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 9:16 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
I think it is an insult to logic and sciene to suggest otherwise.
this, this and this
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 9:33 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hold on.

I wouldn't go so far as to call it brainwashing as that implies a deliberate attempt by a small group of people to manipulate the majority. People aren't successfully 'brainwashed' unless they really want to believe what they're being told.
Tell me you were having an off day when you wrote that.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 9:42 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quoted within your post it sounds as if I stated the obvious but it was in direct reference to Meow's post. Most religious leaders aren't in a conspiracy to brainwash their followers because brainwashing is persuading people to believe something in order to gain power of control over them. Quite often the persuader doesn't necessarily believe what he's persuading others to believe in.

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Tell me you were having an off day when you wrote that.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 9:44 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Quoted within your post it sounds as if I stated the obvious but it was in direct reference to Meow's post. Most religious leaders aren't in a conspiracy to brainwash their followers because brainwashing is persuading people to believe something in order to gain power of control over them. Quite often the persuader doesn't necessarily believe what he's persuading others to believe in.

brain·wash·ing
[breyn-wosh-ing, -waw-shing] Show IPA

noun
1. a method for systematically changing attitudes or altering beliefs, originated in totalitarian countries, especially through the use of torture, drugs, or psychological-stress techniques.

2. any method of controlled systematic indoctrination, especially one based on repetition or confusion: brainwashing by TV commercials.

3. an instance of subjecting or being subjected to such techniques: efforts to halt the brainwashing of captive audiences.

You'll successfully argue both ways on religion when referencing point 2. above I think.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 9:54 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Hold on.

I wouldn't go so far as to call it brainwashing as that implies a deliberate attempt by a small group of people to manipulate the majority. People aren't successfully 'brainwashed' unless they really want to believe what they're being told.

Gods, religions, the afterlife/heaven speak more of an deeper human need to try and understand the world around us and our place in it. Whether or not they exist is besides the point. It helps explain why despite church attendance in the UK under 5% the clear majority still believe in a higher being.

I've long given up caring whether gods exist or not but I do periodically wonder how it all got started. The universe. The pre-universe. The pre-pre-pre universe. Who/what is the ultimate creator whatever he/she/it/nameless particle may be. It's the infinity concept that gets to me when everything is supposed to be finite, right? If there is a beginning as defined by the big bang then what was there before the big bang? If there's a higher being behind it all, how did the higher being come about?

It never ends, doesn't it? My brain aches when I try to think about it too much.

No, I'm still calling it brainwashing and many people do want the easy option of being told what to think.

Consider, as one example only, the church in medieval Britain. All in Latin, priests telling people what to do and how to behave. Sermons about terrifying futures of fire and brimstone for those who did not comply. An uneducated populace who knew no better and indeed were prevented from knowing more as the was a long fight not to translate the bible into English as there was a danger that people would find out things for themselves. (Not wildly different from some societies today really.)

There may have been a 'deeper need to understand the world' in the past, but with today's science we know many of the answers so don't need the (to my mind) childish answer of 'because god said so' to many issues.

I also suspect that many people say they believe in a higher being as that's what they were told was the case as a child and they have never really thought about it. Many people really never think about existential topics so just go with the flow. Others don't want to question their accepted beliefs as it's just easier that way.

We still have many unanswered questions, but that's fine. Sometimes things just are, have developed that way and that's the mystery and magic of the natural world.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 10:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold

Genesis 1:29 "And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat."

Fruits ferment naturally, man helped them on their way. Lots of things grow out of the ground and can be eaten or smoked and some men believe (rightly or wrongly) that they bring man to ultimate enlightenment.......
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 10:16 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

If there is a beginning as defined by the big bang then what was there before the big bang?
Nothing existed as time did not exist and without time, nothing can exist, or so says Stephen Hawkin in his book A brief history of time.

I know, I can't get it in my head either.

What does amuse me is that if an alien being was looking at our planet from a planet 65 million light years away he would only see dinosaurs....
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 10:20 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kix
Nothing existed as time did not exist and without time, nothing can exist, or so says Stephen Hawkin in his book A brief history of time.

I know, I can't get it in my head either.

What does amuse me is that if an alien being was looking at our planet from a planet 65 million light years away he would only see dinosaurs....
I like that thought!

Perhaps that explains why the aliens haven't visited us yet? Or have they???
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 11:27 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

I had no intention to quote you out of context, and I don't think I did.

I think you're fundamentally wrong on that point. Although, perhaps to split hairs, what we're seeing today is the legacy of just that (a way of controlling people).

That can certainly be the case, but isn't a prerequisite. Once the leaders are brainwashed and lose their ability to critically reason, whether or not they believe is immaterial. Anyway, as per Scamp's definition number 2, belief of the washer is irrelevant.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 5:45 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper
Scamp, I do believe Redshark used Mother Teresa's name as a 'good guy example', who last time I checked was as Christian as they get.
However MT was most certainly not on the side of the good and not in the least saintly.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 5:47 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kix
Nothing existed as time did not exist and without time, nothing can exist, or so says Stephen Hawkins in his book A brief history of time.
Because you need to have a reference in 4 dimensional space. Without time where is your reference point.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 7:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

redShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mikewot
Because you need to have a reference in 4 dimensional space. Without time where is your reference point.
I think there was a typo mistake Mikewot, you meant to say 3 dimensional space. Because our space is 3 dimensional, and it is only the theists who believe in the 4th (or even more) dimension which is the meta-physical one (spiritual)!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.