British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Ramadan (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/ramadan-912791/)

Millhouse Jun 11th 2018 6:41 am

Re: Ramadan

Well, I've enjoyed Ramadan and will miss it as it comes to a close.

Was away for the first two weeks in the free world, but have enjoyed my return. Interesting working hours which seems to involve leaving at 4pm to go home and smash the misses, before cooking dinner, walking the dog in absolute peace along the creek and then resuming work. Did an additional 9pm-12am shift last night. Genuinely love Ramadan - shame it's not longer.

As for the last 10 days, they are probably my favourite as everyone is in the swing of the upside down day and are even more fearful then usual of my small dog.

I doubt they will have a dry Eid given the Russia vs KSA game.

NorthernLad Jun 11th 2018 6:50 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12513810)
I went hunting for this. I think it's the other Eid that's dry and this one is fine. I think (?)

I think its Arafat day that is dry, that's just before the second Eid holiday?

hnd Jun 11th 2018 8:32 am

Thanks guys. Must have got my Eids mixed up :huh:

scrubbedexpat141 Jun 11th 2018 9:22 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12513822)
Well, I've enjoyed Ramadan and will miss it as it comes to a close.

Was away for the first two weeks in the free world, but have enjoyed my return. Interesting working hours which seems to involve leaving at 4pm to go home and smash the misses, before cooking dinner, walking the dog in absolute peace along the creek and then resuming work. Did an additional 9pm-12am shift last night. Genuinely love Ramadan - shame it's not longer.

As for the last 10 days, they are probably my favourite as everyone is in the swing of the upside down day and are even more fearful then usual of my small dog.

I doubt they will have a dry Eid given the Russia vs KSA game.

I'm devastated that it's finishing, doing 8hr days has been pure luxury. The Ramanap is going to be missed.

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 12513828)
I think its Arafat day that is dry, that's just before the second Eid holiday?

Yeah, don't think either Eid is dry, you're right it's another day near it. I think...

jam25mack Jun 11th 2018 12:40 pm

I personally love Ramadan. It's the only time of year that the office actually feels normal rather than an engineering sweatshop.

Irishbeekeeper Jun 12th 2018 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope (Post 12513814)
Pictures please!! ;)

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...3d9305edf7.gif

try and control yourself while watching this will you?

Maxima Jun 13th 2018 8:44 am

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope (Post 12513818)
1) . The congregation seems to be mainly fairly wealthy Indians and Pakistanis, none of whom live in the immediate vicinity and thus have not had to endure previous years' midnight banshee bawling.

2) *Muslim primer: on one of those nights, but nobody knows which one, the prophet had a tour of heaven ascending there from the - now domed - rock in Jerusalem, hence its holiness to Muslims. Apparently you get ten times the credit for prayers offered on that night and the gates of hell are closed. ...

1) The Mosque near Jumeirah Islands at the south end of JLT?

2) That is the Isra Wal Miraj for which you get a separate holiday, around 2 weeks before Ramadan starts.
As for the higher credit prayers (actually its a lot more than 10 times !), it is one of the last 10 nights of Ramadan, 27th is the most popular guess, but you are right in that it could be any of the 10 days